Forums Latest Members
  1. buddyguy Apr 28, 2017

a few years ago i was handed down my grandfathers watch. I'm not interested in selling it, but keeping it in good condition that will hopefully add at least another 50 years to it's life. I never knew much about it, but recently brought it to a well known watch service company in Seattle to look at and also provide an estimate if any maintenance work needed to be done. They came back with (what I think) is a fairly high quote, but i'm a total noob. So i'm looking for some advice and also help dating and valuing the watch.

First Pictures!
    2017-04-10 12.48.20.jpg 2017-04-10 12.48.34.jpg 2017-04-10 12.48.53.jpg 2017-04-10 12.49.02.jpg 2017-04-10 12.49.09.jpg

1. Given the info they pulled from the watch and what it looks like, i think it's a Omega Centenary (and one of the rarer ones, see p. 8). Is anyone able to provide a broad valuation?
    Your movement serial number 10,761,249 which ages it to 1944
    Your case serial number is 10,724,005
    Your movement caliber is 30.10.RA which is also known as an Omega 330

2. I was quoted $850 for a complete maintenance service. It seems rather expensive to me, but i have no idea if the work is warranted or if it's worth it for the value of this watch. I was also surprised how much work they said needs to be done. After sitting in my drawer for years, I started wearing it over the past few weeks and have been surprised at how accurate it's kept time. I'm also concerned with any work or parts replacement that end up devaluing the watch. i.e. if they refinish the case or replace the crystal and crown (they mentioned doing that when i first visited, but didn't quote it over email).

Movement Service; disassembly, 5 stage cleaning, lubrication, adjustment, timing
    Replacement of worn or damaged interior parts if necessary
    Replacement of all seals * on your model, Omega no longer lists a crystal, so we will replace your crystal using generic (you currently have a generic crystal)
    Refinish on the case
    30 mo./ 2.5 yr warranty

anyways, would love some advice. thanks!

werdna77 likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 28, 2017

Service is well due and wearing it after so long without one will only damage more inside the watch.
    Nice watch, with a full service it will be great again.
    $850 is high but I wouldn't expect much cheaper and I wouldn't be giving any joe blow a watch like this. ( pay the pros for a watch like this )

Make sure they don't refinish the case with anything harder than a polishing cloth

nonuffinkbloke and pongster like this.
  3. michael22 Apr 28, 2017

4. Vitezi Apr 28, 2017

You don't mention where you are from, but I'm guessing it's the Pacific NW, USA. Try this search to find an AWCI professional near you specializing in vintage watches. You may also try the NAWCC search page.

watch3s and chanbar like this.
  5. Pahawi Apr 28, 2017

Really not useful to estimate the value of OP's watch as only the hour hand in the second link is correct, and correct hands are near impossible to find. OP's watch has the correct hands. If the movement is ok and the dial can be cleaned (hope it's dirt and not scratches) I'd say a 1948 Centenary JUB in this condition should be around $3000.....

michael22 likes this.
  6. buddyguy Apr 28, 2017

thanks for the feedback. unfortunately the marks on the dial are probably scratches. When i brought the watch in they said anything done to the face would actually ruin it. It's great to know an approximate value of the watch, but concerning that I may be spending 50% of the watches value or more to do maintenance.

It seems like there's a fine line between "restoring" that helps add value vs. keeping it original. Is the reason I should avoid case polishing or only have them do light polishing so the case keeps the original look? i.e. the case back is worn and should stay looking worn.

@Vitezi, those search sites are great. thanks!

7. François Pépin Apr 28, 2017

Nice watch!

I think it is hard to discuss serviced prices without knowing exactly what will be done and what parts will be change. 850 euros is on the high end, but parts for bumpers are hard to find and can be expansive.

Though, I am under the impression that you got a standard estimate cost for such a watch. The watchmaker you contacted did not list the mechanical parts that will be changed - which is fair because he cannot know before taking apart the watch. I would have preferred to have an estimate saying X for the base service, Y for the glass and the seals, plus movement parts and extra job - such as fitting a new bushing, etc.

If at the end you only have a regular service, plus a new glass and new seals, and a little polish of the case - which you may want to avoid - I think that 850 $ is very expansive, even with a 30 months warranty.

Edited Apr 28, 2017
    Mark020 likes this.
  8. Oku Apr 28, 2017

The watch runs so most probably all parts are there and ok. Keeping this in mind, 850$ just for a service is way too much.

Mark020 likes this.
  9. BenBagbag Apr 28, 2017

What is your plan for the watch? Are you going to wear it consistently? Special occasions? Are you just trying to hold on to it for an heirloom. Yes a watch is important to maintain, but if you aren't going to use it I don't know what the repercussions of leaving it in a safe as is would be. Would placing the watch in a drawer for another 50 years harm the watch? I'm not sure.

It all boils down to what you want to do with the watch.

10. François Pépin Apr 28, 2017

It is not because a vintage works that all the parts are good! But we cannot know before taking the movement apart.

ChrisN likes this.
  11. Oku Apr 28, 2017

That is true. But usually, if it works, all parts should be in place and can mostly be refurbished.

12. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 28, 2017

My watchmaker, who has an Omega parts account, would charge EUR 300 max for a service.

watch3s likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2017

Not really. Often watches come into the shop working, and many parts are beyond saving. This watch came in running, with amplitude at full wind in the low 280's, yet here are some of the parts I exchanged...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

François is correct - the only way to know for sure what needs replacing is to completely disassemble the movement, clean the parts, and then inspect them for wear. Until you do that, you are only guessing what might need replacing.

Cheers, Al

14. kkt Apr 28, 2017

Based on the way the quote is written, I'd guess it was taken to Nesbit's? They are on the expensive side, but they do good work, they're responsive and pleasant, they are not backlogged for months before they'll even start working on your watch. They do stand by their warranty, which is longer than most watchmakers give for vintage work. If you tell them not to polish the case (and I'd strongly recommend that you not get the case polished), they will honor that request and probably knock a little off the price.

A couple of warnings: If you don't know how long it's been since the watch was serviced, I wouldn't run it for any longer than you already have. The oil dries up, so running the watch, even if it's still keeping good time, is causing excessive wear.

And servicing the watch should be done about every 5 years, if you're wearing it daily (or it's running most of the time). You could stretch that somewhat if it's just sitting not running for most of the time. But you said another 50 years, so you should be doing another 5-10 services over that time. They won't all be that expensive if there's less need for parts, but be prepared for them to be in the $500+ range.

watch3s likes this.
  15. michael22 Apr 28, 2017

It is useful; as a starting point. You have added to it wonderfully.

16. michael22 Apr 28, 2017

My watchmaker won't quote until he has looked inside. This means I have to wait for the quote, usually a couple of days. It means he doesn't have to charge an uncertainty premium.

Regards polishing, the word means different things to different people. To some, it means useing an electric buffing machine, to others it means a wipe with a clean cotton cloth. Most jewellery just needs a clean, & your watch falls into that category, IMO.
    The major danger is in rounding off the edges. You may notice the bevels on your watch are slightly rounded, due to the watch being worn & the apex where each flat surface meats has rounded slightly. That watch has been looked after, but has seen some good usage. Now, imagine a century of wear, all happening artificially in 30 seconds, while somebody with different tastes polishes your watch. That is what you risk.
    I use a cloth dabbed in baby oil to clean the exterior. Works for me.
    Here is a pic of my gold filled Constellation. Somebody polished it prior to my ownership. You may notice the widest edges are quite rounded. Many collectors would rule out purchasing it, for that reason.
    20170310_125928.jpg

Vitezi and buddyguy like this.
  17. buddyguy Apr 29, 2017

That's a good point. I was originally thinking of wearing it more regularly (couple times a week). But if I need to service it every 5-7 years and the watch is only worth $1500 (super rough estimate from previous posts) then I'm thinking it might be better to put it away. Seems like a waste but it's surprising to hear the cost of maintenance will quickly supercede the value of the watch.

18. buddyguy Apr 29, 2017

That's super helpful. I wasn't getting why polishing was such a bad thing till I read this.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 29, 2017

I was using a super expensive guy in Chicago and paying stupid money. I've now had two vintage 30CH serviced for around $350 each at my local shop. They have my Tri-Compax right now. Full service $410. They did my UG three hander two years ago for $250. So your guy is way too expensive. I happen to live near Chicago so I would assume I have more options than Seattle. Shop around a bit.

michael22 likes this.
  20. michael22 Apr 29, 2017

Cars & watches & wooden boats. Classic boy toys.
    We admire the beauty, like artworks.
    But in some ways, they are more like pets. They might not need daily feeding, but they certainly need regular maintenance, & even more frequent TLC.

One way or another, all these items will deteriorate if just locked away in a safe for 50 yrs.
    Unlike a painting on the wall, part of the beauty of these items is knowing they work. Knowing the boat can safely carry you to the island on the horizon & survive an afternoon storm; knowing your car can take you for a WE away in style; & knowing when you pick up that watch, it will keep time reliably.
    A watch that doesn't work is nowhere near as attractive.

You just have to accept the cost of maintenance as part of the pride of ownership. You certainly don't have to accept the first high price you are quoted.