Forums Latest Members
  1. Missym Feb 27, 2017

Hi I posted on here a few weeks back I had found this Omega watch in garden shed, I had it serviced but now its losing lots of time as much as five mins in an hour.
    Is this fixable and is it worth doing?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 27, 2017

I would take it back to whoever serviced it. It should be under warranty.

3. Missym Feb 27, 2017

Thanks I did wonder about that , dont like to moan as the chap has been great but I will get in touch see what he says

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 27, 2017

Has this just started happening after running fine when you got it back from the watchmaker

Could be magnetised ?

5. Missym Feb 27, 2017

It was running fine then the glass dropped out the watchmaker repaired it at his cost, the big hand had also been snapped as Hubby was wearing the watch at the time, so it got damaged when he pulled his sleeve up to see time, we wondered it it could be the new hand making the watch run slow, but that is probably a stupid idea (we know nothing about watches) .
    I cant say if it has become magnitised how would that happen?

6. Missym Feb 27, 2017

I just looked online did a bit of reading about watches and magnitism ...........maybe it has become magnitised.
    Im gonna check exactly what sort of time its losing, and also keep in mind it may be magnitised.

Thanks

7. ATracyWatches Feb 27, 2017

There are a whole host of reasons why a watch would run slow. Magnetism isn't usually one of them. When a watch becomes magnetized the hairspring coils become attracted to each other and 'stick'. What this does is shorten the active length of the hairspring and the watch will run fast. So I would assume some other reason is causing the watch to lose time.

The gentleman who repaired it for you should definitely fix it under warranty. I will offer a word of caution though, sometimes "watchmakers" can do more harm than good. If people aren't well trained and have a good general understanding of horological principles, it can turn into a nightmare and end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 27, 2017

::popcorn::

efauser likes this.
  9. WatchmakerTheory Feb 27, 2017

Right, I really doubt that magnetism is the issue here. Hopefully OP is able to get things sorted without difficulty.

10. Missym Mar 4, 2017

Hi all
    Watch is back at repairer he said it was highly magnetised he has demagnetised it and is keeping it over weekend but it is running fine after demagnetising it.