Forums Latest Members
  1. Carsten Pedersen Nov 4, 2015

Hello all,

New to watch ownership and the forum. I bought this watch off ebay recently as I loved the clean look of the watch face and was in the market for a finer watch. I was hoping that the knowledgeable folks here could tell me more about it. The posting said the following:

Vintage Gent's Omega Automatic From 1960,
    Case is 35 mm In Diameter, 18 mm Between Lugs, Stainless Steel Back
    Automatic Movement Caliber 552, 24 Jewels

It came with a certificate of authenticity and a one year warranty. When I got it it also stated that I should wind it 20-25 times to get it going. Without knowing what I was doing, I wound it counterclockwise and have since read in places that this could be bad for the watch. Can anyone advise me on if this is true and why?

I also just bought a watch winder because it would be stuck on the early hours of the morning when I put it on in the morning and I'd have to set it to the correct time. The winder has 4 settings:

Mode 1 (1440/TPD) : 6mins CW, rest for 30mins, repeat.
    Mode 2 (1440/TPD) : 6 mins CCW, rest for 30 mins, repeat.
    Mode 3 (5760/TPD) : 20 mins CW, rest for 10 mins, then 20 mins CCW, rest for 10 mins, repeat.
    Mode 4 (2152/TPD) : 10 mins CW, 10 mins CCW, repeat above for 3 hours, rest for 9 hours, repeat.

Which of these would be best to use for my watch?

Thanks in advance. I've enjoyed looking through all the pictures of these great watches.

s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600.jpg

JimInOz and Darlinboy like this.
  2. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Nov 5, 2015

Congratulations on the nice watch. I don't know anything about watch winders, but your watch should have a 50 hour power reserve once wound. This should keep it running through the night while you are not wearing it... It doesn't have any other complications either so if it does stop running after a few days of inactivity it would be fairly quick and easy to set and wind (on your wrist, as it's an automatic).

While I wouldn't wind it counter-clockwise at all, I don't think it is particularly bad for the watch. I'm no expert on this though and someone else will probably chime in on this.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 5, 2015

You can't actually wind your watch counter-clockwise. All you are doing is moving the stem "backwards" against the clutch and the click (the little thing that stops the watch unwinding).

With the watch in your left hand and dial facing up, rotate the crown forwards to wind it. If you then look at the watch from the crown side, you'll see that the direction is "clockwise".

Unless you have absolute proof of it being serviced, it would be a good idea to get a clean/oil/adjust servicing done.

If you intend to wear it daily, there's no need to use a winder. Just top up the wind before you go to bed, it will be running well when you wake up.

Also, being a no date/no complication watch there's no real need to keep it on a winder even when you don't wear it for any lengthy period.

It's a very nice Omega with a beautiful dial, I'm jealous :D

Enjoy it.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 5, 2015

Welcome to the madness, and above has it covered so take the advice and enjoy that beauty..

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2015

Cal. 552 has a 38 hour power reserve, not 50. They can go longer than 38, so 40 or maybe even 42, but 50 would mean someone has pout the wrong mainspring in the watch...

To the OP - no damage done by winding the crown CCW so you haven't hurt it, but it doesn't actually wind the spring.

Cheers, Al

Baz9614 and hoipolloi like this.
  6. wsfarrell Nov 5, 2015

That face could launch a thousand ships.......

noelekal likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 5, 2015

I would advise against a watch winder for any vintage automatic watch.

If it is running normally after a full day's wearing, then you have no need for the winder.

If you plan to wear it every day and it is stopped in the morning, then there could be a problem with the movement and needs to be looked at by a watchmaker.

If you don't plan to wear it every day, then you are just causing unnecessary wear and tear to the movement, particularly if it is stopping prematurely.

Very nice original linen dial on that piece.
    gatorcpa

8. Hijak Nov 5, 2015

I second that, very nice dial indeed!:thumbsup:

9. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2015

Um, I might be the bearer of bad news.....but maybe not. Here's what I mean: those cases with automatic calibers didn't come with Seamaster and DE VILLE on the dial until 1963. Now, the case was made in 1961 (see the -61 on the inside) and the caliber was made in 1962 according to the serial number, and if it was assembled a year later (which is very possible) it might be correct.

Nice dial condition.

Either mode 1 or 2 would work. That would be enough to spin the watch enough that gravity would make the rotor fall to the bottom as the mechanism turns. That is, if the angle is steep enough of the winder head.

However, your wrist's motion while wearing the watch during the day should be sufficient to wind the watch enough to last a day and half or more without motion, so I think you need to have it serviced before you end up damaging the internals due to dirt and lack of lubrication.

10. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2015

Forgot to mention that this picture is an excellent shot of the fonts and linen pattern of your dial:

SMDV.png

:thumbsup:

Hans the Wolf likes this.
  11. Carsten Pedersen Nov 5, 2015

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do wear it all day and it is stopped when I put it on in the morning which is why I bought the watch winder in the first place. Reading all the recommendations here I think I'll have it serviced and see if that resolves the issue.

It was advertised on ebay as a 1962 watch and came with a certificate of authenticity from the seller, but there was no original receipt or anything. Even if it is a "frankenstein" watch, I'm happy with it. Thanks again for all the compliments & useful responses!

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 5, 2015

I'm a little confused by your posts. If you are winding the watch counter-clockwise, then you are not winding it at all.

So you are strapping it on and letting your wrist do the winding from scratch. Unless you are extremely active during the day, it's not getting to a full wind and there isn't enough juice in the mainspring to get through the night.

Try winding the crown clockwise for 30 winds, then wear it for the day. If it is still running and keeping correct time by morning, then it's probably OK.

The "61" date code and 19 million serial number probably went together from the beginning and could have very well been sold in 1962.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

vberch likes this.
  13. Carsten Pedersen Nov 5, 2015

Hmm. When I first got it, I turned the crown so that the hands of the watch moved counter-clockwise 25 times. This is what I thought was meant by winding the watch. As it happens, this relates to turning the crown in a clockwise direction when facing it. I think my plan at this point is to just take it in and have a professional look at it and maybe he can tell me more.

Thanks for the color on the date as well!

14. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Nov 6, 2015

Hi @Archer I got the 50 hour reference from the Ranfft website here http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_552
    I usually check this source for quick reference as it is fairly comprehensive. Is this source reliable?

From the OP's last post it seems that the watch is being wound with the crown out as the hands are moving. Make sure the crown is all the way in when winding...

15. Willem023 Nov 6, 2015

OM dear G, I am really getting old. With all due respect, but is the general knowledge how to wind a watch / clock / whatever really going to waste? ::facepalm1::

efauser likes this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 6, 2015

Not when you can get a copy of the original instruction booklet here:

http://www.old-omegas.com/youandyouromega12070s.html

See pages 6 and 7. Ignore crown position "C", as this is only for the calendar, which this model does not have.

However, I think there may be a bit of a language barrier. Might be best if he seeks professional advice as indicated above.
    gatorcpa

Willem023 likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 6, 2015

It is a good resource for very general information, but clearly in this case the stated power reserve is wrong by a long ways. He has discussed how he gets some information like mainspring dimensions in other forums, and based on that I restrict my use to mostly looking at the photos and looking at what other movements are based on the same caliber...so no I personally do not consider it a reliable resource for such details.

The 38 hour figure comes directly from Omega (who I would trust far more than some guy with a web site on the internet) and also from servicing hundreds and hundreds of these myself...

Cheers, Al

18. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Nov 6, 2015

Thanks Al, you know the younger generation. We just believe everything we read on the internet:oops: "factoid" and all.
    Lesson learnt!

italy1861 likes this.
  19. Carsten Pedersen Nov 6, 2015

I am sorry that nobody in my family has ever worn a watch before. My grandfather was a farmer and his day started when the sun came up and ended when the sun went down and my father didn't believe men should wear "jewelry." So no, I wasn't aware that the crown needed to be "pushed-in" to wind it.

There isn't a language barrier and I wasn't pointed in the direction of a manual or instructions anywhere until now. I know it may seem petty to defend myself on the internet, but I do take exception to the fact that I was expected to know something that I was never taught.

Thanks to those who provided helpful and informative responses

wsfarrell and ConElPueblo like this.
  20. Willem023 Nov 6, 2015

Hi Carsten, don't be too hard on yourself and others! I was merely stating the fact that I sometimes feel a bit old on those things.

Like this one....

age-test-cassette-tape-and-pencil.jpg

Only people of a certain age know the combination: in the 70-s and 80-s the best way to re-wind a cassette was to use a pencil.
    I love your watch and I think you have had the best of advice on this forum!

Cheers, Willem

Hans the Wolf and ulackfocus like this.