Forums Latest Members
  1. mwdougla Apr 15, 2013

I just purchased my first Omega off of ebay and I am trying to locate exact information on it. For the life of me I haven't been able to find out much, which makes me nervous. Here is the link to the item http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OMEGA-CALIBRE-286-DIAL-BLACK-COLOR-/261197195270?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=mvTHETPUq5iKcS7JkmPfJZ4mSmE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The movement is 286, case #1291136, reference # 19802180. I'm a newbie at collecting, so my numbers may not be exactly right, but you'll probably be able to get an idea. Any help would be apperciated. Thanks!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 15, 2013

Genuine but with a refinished dial.

3. mwdougla Apr 15, 2013

Ok that makes me feel better. Do you know what the model is? Does the refinished dial hurt the value much?

4. Wheels Apr 16, 2013

It doesn't just hurt the value, it destroys it, to put not too fine a point on it. If all you are after is a nice watch to wear with your suit then that'll do. If you wanted a collectible then this watch isn't it.

5. mac_omega Apr 16, 2013

Sorry to tell you it is a re-done dial...

I wonder why you ask after your purchase and not BEFORE?! So you could avoid these joy-killing experiences.
    Here are a lot of helpful guys on this forum - so feel free to ask early next time.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 16, 2013

There's an interesting psychology behind this - there is actually data to show that 60-70% of women who buy skin care products research the product after they purchase it and not before. I suppose this is true of other products as well including vintage watches! I personally don't understand this since I do my due diligence before purchase.

7. Superpacker Apr 16, 2013

For the sake of learning, can you pros explain how you know this is a redial and not just a watch in really good condition? Maybe that's the first clue? I having been hanging out in the forum to increase my knowledge prior to purchasing anything.

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 16, 2013

The get out clause "
    we cannot guarantee that every piece is original. "

9. mwdougla Apr 16, 2013

Alright, I understand a refinish is not a good thing, but can anyone tell me how to find out more about the watch? Honestly, I don't mind if its refinished.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 16, 2013

The serial number on the movement dates this to ca 1962 and the marking OXG on the movement indicates this was a USA delivery watch. Many Omega watches were NOT part of any particular line like Seamaster, this is one which fits into this category of un-named watches.

The caliber 286 is an evolution of the caliber 30T2, one of the most highly regarded hand wind movements produced by Omega and the one in your watch appears to be in very nice condition.

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 16, 2013

First clue would be its black. Omega made very few black dialed watches, so perhaps 95-98% of the ones you see now are likely refinished.

This dial exhibits the following issues:

Black, a red flag color.

The white printing should be gold to the match the hour figures.

The hour figures have lost their crispness having been polished during the refinishing process.

The small notches at the outer tips of the figures should have luminous filling.

The printing is not as crisp and well defined as it should be nor is it correctly placed.