Forums Latest Members
  1. EranBuhbut May 3, 2020

Hello,

I recently came by a vintage Omega Geneve belonging to my best friends father (photos attached). He is the original and only owner of it (he since upgraded to a DJ and a SM Spectre hehe).
    I'm interested in buying it from him but would like to get some help from you guys about some of the details and service costs please:

First of all, as mentioned, an Omega Geneve.
    He claims it's automatic but it doesn't say it on the dial, plus from my small handaling with it I am 99% sure it is manual wind.
    Quick set date (pull the crown out etc.)
    Working, running, winding.
    Signed crystal, plain unsigned crown (usually not original but not neccecerally, please let me know).
    "Waterproof" on the caseback (i.e. pre-water resistant).
    Couldn't open the caseback (didn't have the wrench with me).

Would like your help with these details please:
    Ref. number
    Cal. number
    Overall condition (crown originality in particular).
    I know you don't really do value assessment of timepieces for obvious reasons but would like to know what's your opinion on servicing it: rough cost for a service, plexi replacment and dial cleaning. not redialing, only cleaning what is (and if at all) possible. In person, some of it seems to be removable (e.g. dust) but I am aware that it has some patina. Just how deep you think it ia and whether is it oxidation on the hands or not.
    If you need any more information, please let me know.

Sorry for the quality of the photos.
    My decision to buy or not to buy the watch is based on my descretion only. I won't hold it up to any of you so please feel free to reply.

Thank you very much in advance!

20200503_130746.jpg 20200503_130706.jpg 20200503_130658_HDR.jpg 20200503_130636.jpg 20200503_130629.jpg
    20200503_130621.jpg 20200503_130526.jpg 20200503_130521.jpg 20200503_130821.jpg

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 3, 2020

Great post. More guidance will come from the experts, but since the seller is a family friend, can he pause the sale until you can take it to a watchmaker? They would be able to provide a quote for service (including a new crown) which will help you establish the price

My 2 cents, the patina maybe just looks mouldy, and not the attractive patina some folks go for, though that might be different with the watch in hand.

EranBuhbut likes this.
  3. EranBuhbut May 3, 2020

Thanks!
    He is in no rush to sell it and I'm sure he'll let me take it to a watchmaker.
    I really think that in person the patina is not as bad as it looks in the photos, but nevertheless your observation about it sounds right (more mouldy than "tropic" dial haha)

4. Dan S May 3, 2020

The dial is bad, I would pass. And it is damage, not the attractive type of "patina" IMO. These hand-winding Geneve's are pretty utilitarian in their case design, but ok as entry-level pieces. They are quite common on the market, so there's no reason to rush into a purchase. My advice is to save your money for a better example.

EranBuhbut and DaveK like this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 3, 2020

And if you like the look of the patina, then that’s all that matters. Wear it and enjoy it in good health. Sometimes I love it. If you pronounce it “damage” instead of patina, then the sell price can work in your favour :thumbsup: Sometimes it can be tempting to buy a watch just because it’s being offered. If you look in the sales forum here you will see many good pieces and their asking prices, which can help you decide it this watch is for you, or if you want to save a bit more and get a stunning example

Re automatic. If the watch started to run with a little back and forth shake, then it’s an automatic

6. EranBuhbut May 3, 2020

Thank you for the reply!

Personally I own a 1968 SM Cosmic in a much better condition cosmetically (mechanically it's great and serviced), so I'm am too not in a rush (to buy it). That "fills the gap" for the vintage spot I guess. I thought the Geneve could be a nice addition to my collection as well as a small project for less than what I paid for my SM. Despite what you said about the case design, which is all true of course, when you compare it to other pieces, personally I still find it attractive in a minimalist sort of way.

Anyway, I read what you said about the dial and I appreciate your opinion. I think I'll listen to you on this one and pass.
    Still wouldn't mind hearing what other people might have to say, just for the interest.

Thanks again!

Dan S likes this.
  7. Davidt May 3, 2020

The dial very poor and these are entry-medium range watches so even good examples don't cost that much.

I wouldn't buy it at any price as I'd much rather pay more for a better version but if it was listed on eBay in a no reserve auction it would probably sell for 200 £/$/€. Maybe 250 on a good day.

Crown isn't original. A service would start around 180 minimum, with parts etc on top.

Edit: I think 250 would have to be a very good day actually.

Edited May 3, 2020
    EranBuhbut and Dan S like this.
  8. EranBuhbut May 3, 2020

Yeah, I guess it's more "damage" than patina...
    I was going to search for similar pieces online (here as well) once I found out the ref. number in order to compare prices minus the service.

I own an automatic watch as well, and when I got to handle this geneve it was already running as he wound it up straight away. Also, it didn't seem to wind or respond to shaking (no small oscillation in the hand or any of that) so I couldn't rule automatic out but I am pretty sure it isn't.

Thanks again for your reply!

9. Davidt May 3, 2020

Probably a 136.070 if it's manual.

I think 166.070 if automatic.

Dan S and EranBuhbut like this.
  10. EranBuhbut May 3, 2020

After a small check online I actually thought it was the 136.070, but wasn't sure...
    I have knowledge about Omega (and watches in general) but not as you guys have for sure haha. I got some or most things right from my examination and knew what to look for but I'm not in the point where I can get things perfectly checked, so I come here for advice.

Oh well, thank you!