Forums Latest Members
  1. mikelin08 Oct 2, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a vintage omega watch, and while I know it is not a constellation or seamaster the design of this watch really caught my eye. I ended up purchasing the watch for $500 USD.

Here is the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251339459513Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Do you think I got a good value, or did I overpay?

Thanks,
    Mike

This is my first post!! and my first vintage purchase.

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 2, 2013

Hi Mike,
    Congrats on the new watch.
    It's a nice watch, but as you can see the case has some deeps nicks and has been polished heavily.
    Personally, I think it is a bit pricey.

3. ulackfocus Oct 2, 2013

You didn't do too bad for a first vintage buy. I happen to know somebody who paid more than that 6 years ago for a horrible frankenwatch of a Constellation for his first vintage Omega purchase.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 2, 2013

Thank God you ditched that guy. :D

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 2, 2013

I would like to hear from the experts regarding "SWISS MADE" being off center, might just be my eyes or camera angle.

6. mikelin08 Oct 2, 2013

Hi guys,

thanks for all the input. But it is real at least? xD So not as horrible as it could be.

7. mikelin08 Oct 2, 2013

Also, could someone comment on the quality of the watch in terms of the movement, build, rarity, etc... I dont know very much about omega vintage watches and it would be nice to have that knowledge. Much appreciated :D

8. ulackfocus Oct 2, 2013

It's not the most sought after or rare watch. It's a garden variety late 60's Geneve but that's why is wasn't $1500 or more. The caliber 565 is a solid, reliable, and accurate automatic and the quickset date is convenient.

If the dial has been refinished, it was an excellent job.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2013

I think it's real. Not sure if the dial is original or repainted though. Not familiar enough with this model. I do think you may have overpaid. The same seller had a nice early 30mm with a patined original dial for less money:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-HAND-...-CASE-TWO-TONE-DIAL-VINTAGE-1950/251334145344Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

He also has a rather rare 30T2 Omegas with original dial and hands, a beat-up Movado triple date and an interesting Zenith Sporto with a cool art deco engraving and a plexiglass screw-in dust cover (which I've never seen before).

All are the same price as the Geneve or less.

Certainly not a rare watch. These were pretty popular as entry-level Omegas back then. All Omegas from that era were considered high grade watches.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

10. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 2, 2013

I think the dial is original. The "Swiss Made" looks offset, IMO, because of the angle.

11. mikelin08 Oct 2, 2013

Alright, thanks for the advice guys.. I'll make sure I post on here before buying rather than after next time. ;)

Hijak likes this.
  12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 2, 2013

All of the early Sportos had the plastic dust cover - it is just that many of them have "lost" them over time.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 2, 2013

Could you have paid less? Perhaps, but probably not much. You could have done far worse than this watch. It is wearable and serviceable.

14. mikelin08 Oct 3, 2013

: ] thanks cicindela that makes me feel better haha. I shoulda joined this forum before purchase!! i'll have to ask you guys for help on my next one.

question though.. do you think the seamaster he had for sale would have been a better deal? i was split between the two:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SEAMA...348721850?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3a858d20baPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

No, movement looks very iffy condition and the dial worn, I would not buy it.

mikelin08 likes this.
  16. mikelin08 Oct 3, 2013

ahh.. good, i'm glad I purchased the geneve then :p

17. mikelin08 Oct 3, 2013

btw sorry to keep asking questions. but i am suddenly intrigued by vintage watches. could someone tell me about the different lines of vintage watches. from what i've read in this forum i've gathered that constellation > seamaster/deville > geneve, but i've seen that certain things make one line more expensive than the other out of that order. For example, some geneves worth more than devilles, some devilles worth more than constellations. I know redials suck, and apparently over polishing is bad, and that pre 1960 geneves are more valuable because they were originally part of a more expensive line. What else helps determine that? I hear black dials are more rare? etc.?

Thanks again!!

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

You are pretty much correct in your statements. To address all of these points in detail would take up hundreds of webpages. Most of these points have been dealt with many times in the short history of this forum.

My best suggestion would be to continue to do research on this forum and go to the Constellation Collectors Blog here:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

That ought to keep you busy for a while.
    gatorcpa

19. mikelin08 Oct 3, 2013

Okay thanks again for the advice.

Best,
    Mike

20. mikelin08 Oct 4, 2013

Hi Guys,

Sorry for bumping this up again, but I am trying to learn as much about my purchase as I can.

so I looked through the Omega Vintage data base and found the exact model of the watch I purchased above. Its Omega Geneve Amiraute

Here is the watch description in the omega database: http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15267

I also found the same watch but with white dial selling on ebay for significantly more, approx. $800 USD:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V-RARE-XCLNT-GENTS-1969-VINTAGE-OMEGA-GENEVE-AMIRAUTE-/330581844384Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It is described in this auction as very rare, which im guessing is a marketing ploy based on ulackfocus' comments above. Is this watch in better condition then the one I purchased? What allowed it to demand a higher bid? Is it less polished, movement is in better quality etc.. or did it just happened to get bid higher by chance? To me, it looks quite polished as well but I am unsure of that as I dont have much experienced with identifying polished metal. if anyone could comment on the differences I would much appreciate it. it would really help me learn how to identify differences in watch condition.

Thanks again!!
    Mike