Forums Latest Members
  1. Jkuback Mar 7, 2017

Dear Omegaristi

I received already twice some advice on watch buys, while one of them saved me from buying a wrong one. Plus I am reading the forum very thoroughly gaining a lot of knowledge from you. So I want to give something back, one of my first serious vintage buys lately I am quite happy with - a 2652 Conny with the 352 bumper movement. I'd like to show some pictures of the watch (as bought, no service or anything done yet). It will get a service and at least a new crystal.

please tell me your honest opinion - as I want to learn :)

The watch comes from the court and was owned by an old judge.

Thanks for looking and I am happy to be part of this community.

IMG_20170201_221858.jpg IMG_20170202_110107.jpg IMG_20170202_113145.jpg
    Ko1892, balaja, wwhntr and 4 others like this.
  2. Jkuback Mar 7, 2017

Sorry - mistage cal 352 of course - If an admin could change this in the topic I would be glad ;-)

3. WYO_Watch Mar 7, 2017

I suggest cleaning your crystal instead of replacing it if it is original. There are quite a few good posts on how this can be done. I use Novus and have taken out some serious scratches. It will save you money in the long run and keep your watch more original. I love the cross hair look! Congrats on the watch.

Jkuback likes this.
  4. cristos71 Mar 7, 2017

A nice early example with a 12.7 million serial number, it looks to be in pretty good and honest shape and a 352 is always a bonus! I'm looking forward to seeing it with a clean up and a new/polished crystal. I really like the 2652 reference and have a few myself, lots of variation in the dial styles.

Jkuback likes this.
  5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 7, 2017

Looks like a nice and honest watch with a 352. There is sign of rubbing from the rotor to the caseback, make sure the problem is solved before you use it.
    Congrats.

Jkuback likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 7, 2017

Done.
    gatorcpa

Jkuback likes this.
  7. WatchmakerTheory Mar 7, 2017

Wow, looks very nice! Congrats on the purchase.

Good observation; hope this is fixed with a routine service.

8. Jkuback Mar 7, 2017

thank you all - I am very happy with the watch :)
    special thanks to hoipolloi for the observation on the rotor rubbing - will service it soon.

Just considering where to go: I also own a 2648 with cal 352 in yellow gold (with early number). As I thought that's a nice piece I brought it directly to Omega Service and they sent it directly to Biel (CH). Now I got back the info for service plus the "Tubus" was broken which needs to be fixed. No replacements, just service and the tubus will cost approx 800EUR. For this piece I agreed, as it is in nice condition and the first conny model with low number, but for the 2652 I would not be willing to spend that much (or what would you recommend?)

PS: 2648 pics will follow when back from Omega (approx 8wks), I don't have pictures right now

9. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Mar 7, 2017

Not a bad example of the early disc dial, which is not all that common.

I'm assuming that you speak German and by "tubus" you are referring to the crown pipe. Whatever you do, do NOT send your early Connies to Bienne. Not only is their service very expensive, but you may very well become the victim of a not-so-sympathetic refurbishment that will devalue the watch. Any decent watchmaker with the right tools can do the job of fixing or remaking a crown pipe.

As you seem to have been bitten by the Omega "bug", source a local independent watchmaker who knows his way around vintage Omegas and who has established either official or unofficial parts networks. Such a relationship may well enrich your collecting experience.

Regards

Desmond

10. Jkuback Mar 7, 2017

Dear Desmond

thanks for replying - it's an honor getting advice from you, I really love your blog!

Yes I speak german and it is the crown pipe :) I did say to Omega several times it need to be a refurbishment for a collectors watch, I thought I spend more money to get the best service... I ordered already, and the watch is already in Bienne, I have a bad feeling now.

I'll try to call them tomorrow and cancel the order and get the watch back. I am in Vienna, do you know by chance an experienced watchmaker in this area?

The pictures above are the 2652, in the service is a 2648 in gold with early serial number (I guess even more uncommon than the showed watch)...

11. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Mar 7, 2017

Dont feel bad. A call to them may assist. Just tell them that under no circumstances are they to touch the dial, and if they replace the hands, make sure you get the old ones back.

It isn't that Bienne does a bad job, but they have a very different service ethos to the standard attitudes of collectors, that of trying to make an old watch look new again, whereas with most collectors originality is king.

I don't have any recommendations for watchmakers in Vienna, but maybe on the German speaking watch forums you may get some advice on that.

Good luck in your collecting endeavours.

12. Jkuback Mar 8, 2017

That's what I did when ordering. I said no polishing, no new parts, as original as possible. When they called to tell me the things to do they said there is the standard service plus the crown pipe. No replacements necessary.
    I hope that will be the case.

13. WatchmakerTheory Mar 8, 2017

Glad to hear it, hope so too.

14. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Mar 8, 2017

Likewise. Good luck for its happy return.

15. Jkuback Mar 8, 2017

but I will call Omega today to again agree on the work done (especially the work NOT to be done)

16. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Mar 8, 2017

Nice watch. I love them early Constellations with gold dial furniture. I would gladly introduce you to the definition of 'Dibs'. :)

ch-made and Jkuback like this.
  17. Jkuback Mar 8, 2017

please do so, what's Dibs?

18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 8, 2017

Very nice example, with an uncommon dial! Congratulations!

Regards,

Tony C.

19. StrutlessWonder Mar 8, 2017

Calling 'Dibs' means you like the posted watch enough to be first in line (to be the next owner of the watch) should the current owner decide to sell or trade it.

20. Jkuback Mar 8, 2017

Wow, Thanks that you like the watch. An Thanks for the congratulations.