Forums Latest Members
  1. waikikip Jan 30, 2017

Just made my first big vintage watch purchase and am pretty happy with it. I've been watching ebay for a few months now and finally decided to pull the trigger on a vintage Omega chronostop.

Watch is all original and in great condition imo. Wish it had been polished less but I'm not complaining.

A few questions hoping to get some answers on:
    1. Would it damage the watch if I keep the chronograph running as a seconds hand?
    2. Noticed that the manual wind still remains tight (still feels fully wound) even after a day of use. Is this normal?
    3. Did some research on the market value and got some pretty wide prices ranging from $600-$2000 depending on where it's sold. Any idea on what the real market value of something like this would be?

$_3.JPG $_3 (5).JPG $_3 (11).JPG

Nevada06 likes this.
  2. lillatroll Jan 30, 2017

I keep the chronohand going on mine, although I don't wear it every day.
    It should feel easy to wind, and you should not have to force it in any way. I was told that it should take around 30 full rotations to fully wind the watch. What I was told and what is fact is another matter as it was told to me by a salesman at watches of Switzerland so might not be true.
    The driver version tends to be more expensive but I would say 2000 usd is a bit on the optimistic side for the non driver version and 600 usd probably ok for one that has seen a bit too much action and non original strap.
    The movement is a modified version of the 861 which is found in the speedy pro.

Nevada06 likes this.
  3. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Jan 30, 2017

SNAP!

Advice: dont be a cheapskate and get the watch serviced this will save you money in the long run. Dont pick the cheapest guy to do it. but dont waste money sending it to the most expensive either.

Do whatever the hell you want with the chronograph! it wont make the blindest bit of difference.

Next time by a watch thats less shiny its over polished you have no bezel definition. you're on the lower end spectrum price wise $2000 is not insane but condition would need to be like A1

SAM_7961.jpg SAM_7963.jpg SAM_7964.jpg SAM_7967.jpg
    X350 XJR likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 30, 2017

Looks nice and original that one with traces of the correct sunburst bezel finish and contrasting black hands which would have come with the white dial originally. Genuine crystal too.The dial lume at 12 looks to be faded which is a good sign that the dial may be original to the watch and not a NOS replacement or refinished example. Also has the original Milanese bracelet which is a big plus. The value also depends on the health of the movement and whether a retail or private seller but either way I would put the value of this one at near the top end of the range. On the likes of ebay, I see these 34mm examples as more of a $500-1000 watch, via retail with warranty maybe rather more but the range you quote sounds like you may be including the much more valuable jumbo models which can routinely go for 4 figures.

5. Pvt-Public Jan 30, 2017

The real market value is whatever some one would pay on any given day.

6. waikikip Jan 30, 2017

Thanks very much all for the feedback.

The movement seems to be working great, lasting around 2 days fully wound.

Nevertheless, Been planning to have this serviced at the local Omega service center but haven't had the time. Just got the watch a few days back :)

Nevada06 likes this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 5, 2017

Don't get it service by Omega! They are not sympathetic to vintage watches.

Where r u and we might be able to recommend someone

Nevada06 likes this.
  8. waikikip Feb 5, 2017

Thanks for the heads up CabberraOmega.

I'm from the Philippines. Anyone have any recommendations?