Forums Latest Members
  1. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

I'm hoping someone can advise on a vintage gold automatic Omega that I have.

The watch would date back to around 1963 - 1966. I've not been able to find an exact match anywhere on the internet.

The watch is an automatic, although it doesn't say "automatic" on the dial. A local jeweller has provided me with the following set of numbers from inside the case - A.L.D 1315016 - 417 821 Although I've found references for 1315016 online, I haven't found any automatics. The other numbers 417 821 are a mystery to me.

Here's some pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm guessing this is a 9ct gold watch, but if someone can advise on any details for this watch, along with possible value, that would be much appreciated.

I found this listing on Ebay, which looks like the same model? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1966-9K-Solid-Gold-Omega-Cal-560-1315016/122545277730Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My watch is not in quite as good a condition, as it has a couple of light scratches on glass, and a few specks on the dial. I do have the original box and paperwork though.

2. tdn-dk Sep 29, 2018

Your watch is a ref. 131.0016, the 5 is added because it is a A.L.D. case

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-bd-131-0016

The dial looks correct for the reference but is should be a manual cal. 600/601 in it so it has been changed to an automatic at some point.

I think the 417 821 is a A.L.D. casemaker serial or other number.

magicalwonders and Dan S like this.
  3. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

Thanks for the info and link. :) It looks like it might be 14K gold then? It was always an automatic from the day it was purchased from jewellers though. The one on ebay looks exactly the same, which is also listed as an automatic, but that one says 9K gold! So a bit confusing. The ebay model is described as Cal. 560.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 29, 2018

If it had been an automatic, I'm pretty sure it would have stated automatic on the dial and the one in the eBay listing isn't an auto either. You can clearly see 601 on the movement. Perhaps you can provide a photo of the movement and inside the case back.

5. Dan S Sep 29, 2018

Your jeweler should have taken a photo of the inside of the case-back, that way you would have the gold hallmark as well as the reference numbers. As mentioned above, the watch has been frankenized with an automatic movement. The eBay example and the OVD both indicate a manual movement (cal 600/601) is correct for this reference.

magicalwonders likes this.
  6. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

The watch belonged to my father, and was purchased from a local jeweller back in the 60's. It was purchased as new, so unlikely the jeweller would have adapted it? The jewellers are still going. It was them that took the back off to give me the numbers.

The item specifics for the ebay listing describe is as "automatic". The title is
    Vintage 1966 9K Solid Gold Omega - Cal. 560 - 1315016

I'm not sure where you're seeing 601 ? Are we looking at the same thing?

I might contact the eBayer as that may throw up some more info.

7. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

Ok, thanks. I'm not sure what "frankenized" means. Is that good or bad? Lol. It must have been done prior to sale.

I'm still not sure how Cal of 601 is established from the eBay listing? In title it says 560

8. Dan S Sep 29, 2018

Frankenized means that it is put together from mismatched parts, like Frankenstein's monster. The cal 601 is established simply by looking at the photos in the listing. The caliber is clearly engraved on the movement and apparently the seller knows very little, or is very careless in his listings.

9. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

Lol.Thanks, "Frankenized" makes sense. I wonder if the jeweller was being naughty, or maybe doing it by request! That will have to remain a mystery!

Re the Cal 601, I kept missing the extra two pics in the ebay listing! I was beginning to think I was going crazy! Lol.

I'm pretty confident my watch is a match with the ebay listing. I may get a jeweller to pop the case, just to confirm if 9k or 14k gold.
    I guess in terms of value it will come in around what the eBay seller is asking. It looks like he sells watches as a business.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 29, 2018

This is why you need to educate yourself and not take the word of a supposed dealer.

magicalwonders and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Dan S Sep 29, 2018

The collectible value of a watch takes a big hit when the movement has been replaced with an incorrect movement. And dealers often have outrageous asking prices. You're better off looking at prices of SOLD items.

12. Dan S Sep 29, 2018

And right above that, it says "Type: Automatic". ::facepalm2::

13. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

Absolutely, that's why I'm here! :)

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 29, 2018

And an automatic caliber.

15. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

I understand. It's a tough one to value as the ebay listing is the only one that seems to be for sale. I guess if he sells it, that's what it's worth. At least to one person!

16. Davidt Sep 29, 2018

The best thing would be to return to the jewellers and ask them to remove the movement and take pics of inside the caseback and of the movement and show them here.

magicalwonders and efauser like this.
  17. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

That's a good idea. I have some trust issues with them though, due to some recent dealings with them. I'm guessing it needs a special tool to get the back off without damaging the case?

18. Davidt Sep 29, 2018

I don't think it's a unishell is it?

Post a pic of the back. It may be a SnapBack which requires a razor blade or sharp knife and a steady hand.

19. magicalwonders Sep 29, 2018

I don't know. When it comes to watches, think of me as the village idiot! :(

Here's a pic -

[​IMG]

20. perks713 Sep 29, 2018

For reference, here's a cal 600 I bought recently.
    [​IMG]