Forums Latest Members

Vintage? Modern? Or Best Of Both Worlds?

1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 5, 2013

Had a good deal for this one. I know I will kick myself later if I pass on it. I just wonder why I do not have such luck with Omegas.:rolleyes: For those who wants a vintage but also the wearability of a modern piece, I believe this New Vintage 1969 will be the one for you. First impressions on the wrist is it feels chunky but sits comfortably on the wrist. Thanks to LouS for some bits of advice, I was prepared that this watch will wear big on the wrist.Length between lugs is at 50mm but the lugs do not extend past my wrist given its angular lugs. The lugs actually wrap around the wrist and I do have small wrists.

I was testing the chronograph function and a pleasant surprise awaited me. The minute indicator on the subdial at 3 jumped instantaneously at the end of every minute! I had not expected that as my other Zenith, the Windsor does not have the feature although it is also an EP. I had always valued this on chronos as most minute indicators move progressively along with the sweeping chrono seconds. You don't even find this in the Rolex Daytona! My Habring is the only chrono I have that features this. You can also find it on the Lange Datograph and Double Split.

Only grouse I have is the leather strap. It does not feel right for the watch so will have to find a more appropriate substitute. I have also decided I need to complete the trio by hunting down the A3817 and A386.::censored:: Sorry for the longer than usual post and thanks for bearing with me. And of course, pics are a must here. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

Beside the Windsor for comparison. Much more charming, don't you agree?
    IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

20130103_072408.jpg

stefan likes this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

That's awesome! Looks like you got the second to last one too - 499/500. So much to say about this watch but I'll limit myself to observing that it is one of the great heritage watches - it's not a slavish copy of the original, but comes in a larger case which changes the aesthetics into a better balance between the metal and the dial IMO (the A 3817, the historical model, heavily favoring the dial). And it does wear smaller than the round case, just like the vintage. The only nit i have to pic is that the caseback would have been happier without the Zenith Anniversary emblem so you could have an unobstructed view of the movement.

I didn't care for the OEM black gator either, and went with a Hirsch Riva in brown
    [​IMG]

stefan likes this.
  3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 5, 2013

Me too LouS. Definitely better without the emblem. And many thanks for all the advice and bearing with me.:)

4. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

Some reissues are even better than the originals. :thumbsup:

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 5, 2013

Odd that your Captain doesn't do this, as all the old 3019 PHC EP's I've seen jump at the end of each minute.

I like the Vintage 69 a lot, not least because they got the overlapping of the subdials right on that one.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

The Winsor is a different arrangement - the minute subdial is deleted in favor of the Day-Month, and the minute subdial is the 6 o'clock position, so probably continuously driven. I didn't know it was like this either.

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 5, 2013

I have never handled the 3019 PHC and I did not know that is a standard feature. The only other one I played with was the Striking 10 and did not notice it either.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

That does look absolutely brilliant

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 5, 2013

This one comes to mind: 1931 .

10. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

You have NO idea how much you're torturing me with that, do you?

(unless Lou tipped you off)

11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 5, 2013

Haha no! Lucky guess. I had one in hand in Montreal once and it was very difficult to let go.

12. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 6, 2013

I am into all reissues. JLC Tribute to 1931, Polaris 65 and Polaris 68, the Longines Legend Diver are all on my target list.

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 6, 2013

Longines do make a great range of reissues. My local jewelers sent me the latest catalogue just before Christmas and there are quite a few I would happily strap on my wrist.