Forums Latest Members

Vintage minute repeating wristwatch audio

1. subregister Jun 17, 2020

I've started a new project to track down vintage minute repeating wristwatches. Audio files are scarce, so if there are any you know of, please send me a DM. It's straightforward to find audio on the modern pieces, but I've been curious as to the tones of vintage, thus this project...
    I have only managed to find a few thus far, and the quality is, of course, spotty, but better than nothing (I think? ::confused2:: )
    https://alphahands.com/vintage-watch-research/repeaters/

I'll also be creating a case number project as I normally do. That is currently in process.
    Enjoy

DaveK and fibonacci like this.
  2. Evitzee Jun 17, 2020

A noble effort but most audio files are TERRIBLE with lots of background noise. It is extremely difficult to get a good impression of a minute repeater's sound quality from these poor audio files. But good luck.

3. subregister Jun 23, 2020

Thanks @Evitzee .
    Indeed most audio is overall low quality, with some good ones thrown in. Audio is often recorded at previews (not surprising since to rare), which obviously is far from a controlled environment. I'll do my best to capture better audio once I start attending auctions again.
    In the interim I am taking out as much background noise as I can from the files I have.

4. slwoodster Aug 20, 2020

Wow. I really think minute repeaters are the ULTIMATE complication. They HAVE to be able to fit them in modern watches. One of the AP ones (cartier signed) is in a 29mm case.

Thanks for this!

5. subregister Aug 20, 2020

You're welcome @slwoodster
    I'm hitting a bit of a wall on tracking down more audio, so if you should come across audio/video any for vintage repeating wristwatches, please give a shout :thumbsup:

6. subregister Oct 12, 2020

Still struggling to find many...up to 9 unique pieces now (there are two audio tracks of a Patek 2419).