Forums Latest Members

Audemars Freres Minute Repeater Pocket Watch

1. Gordon Heavyfoot Mar 31, 2017

Hello all. I'm attending an estate sale this weekend and this pocket watch will be on sale. I know pretty much bupkus about pocket watches other than some American railroad era examples to be on the lookout for. I own a 21 jewel Elgin Father Time PW from 1900. Anyway, was wondering if anyone is familiar with this beauty and what an upper ceiling should be if I decide to make an offer? I know it's a minute repeater but unfortunately I don't have a pic of the movement. Thanks guys. 00H0H_hiS6n2ZC1jM_600x450.jpg 00x0x_12Afu1hM0RK_600x450.jpg

2. Gordon Heavyfoot Mar 31, 2017

00H0H_hiS6n2ZC1jM_1200x900.jpg
  3. M.C.B1974 Mar 31, 2017

Wow nice watch!!
    I love repeaters and always wanted one. That one would be a nice rare piece as it is a 5 minute repeater with chronograph in a solid 14k gold case.
    I don't know the price but I think it would be a great buy at $5000 or less. I'm sure there are better members on here with more accurate pricings.
    Hope you get it.:thumbsup:

4. Oku Apr 2, 2017

Hi!
    Well, estimation depends on case, movement, and complication.
    Is it a minute or a five minute repeater (as @M.C.B1974 states)?
    The cases of Audemars Freres that I have seen usually have been quite thin.
    Keep in mind that a service is required. And repeaters with a pusher are less valuable than those with a slider.
    Thus, if I were you I would not pay more than $3000.

5. Interstatetime Apr 2, 2017

This is a repeater with simple chronograph. My bet is that it is a 5 minute repeater instead of a minute repeater but you will only know by making it repeat. The movement is probably a Le Phare or Piccard or some other generic repeater movement. These are not very desirable among collectors. I would probably not pay more than $2,000-2,500 unless you want to keep it for a long time. Repeaters and all pocket watches with the exception of the really scarce are in the toilet pricewise right now.

Also, if it doesn't work it will cost a lot to fix it. Not every watchmaker can work on it and parts would have to be made or cannibalized from another watch.

BE REALLY CAREFUL.

6. river rat Apr 6, 2017

Nice watch repeaters are not cheap and very collectable and one type of pocket watch that don't loose value. Started out collecting pocket watch first before getting more into vintage wristwatches but still got a few in the collection good luck with getting it. One thing some wanted pocket watches when I first got into collecting watches have lost some value but repeaters have not and they have went up in value if it has no problems and you can get it for a fair price go for it.