Forums Latest Members

Vintage Longines Pentagon watch

1. durri70 Aug 9, 2019

good summer holidays to all of you :O)

I am not very familiar with LED watches but I have been very lucky to acquire one recently. The face of the watch is very cool , looks like the face of a man coming out of an UFO, like an space movie. Don't know much about this watch , how to care about it and if requires any special treatment .....already my watchmaker add 2 brand new batteries.
    what are your thoughts :O)

hope you like it too

IMG_5868.JPG IMG_5905.PNG IMG_5906.PNG IMG_5907.PNG IMG_5909.PNG IMG_5910.PNG IMG_5911.PNG

Radiumpassion and valjoux72 like this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 12, 2019

These are really cool. Nice find! James Bond wore a Hamilton Pulsar LED in Live and Let Die (below). These LED watches had short battery lives I think, and gave way to LCD quickly. To me, these LED watches, like the early Bulova Accutron Spaceviews, tell a visual story about a specific period in history.

ga063-hamilton-pulsar-p2-2900-led-digital-watch-james-bond-roger-moore-2.jpg

durri70 likes this.
  3. durri70 Aug 12, 2019

thanks for your comments :O)
    I found the watch very cool, do you use yours daily?

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 12, 2019

That photo is of Pierce Brosnan’s wrist, not mine. Though I will refer back fondly to this thread as the first time I was mistaken for James Bond. ;) Alas, I do not have one of these, but would be happy to change that at some point.

A colleague who has since transferred likes these. At first I didn’t “get” them, then after a few times it dawned on me that they were super cool - kind of like the proverbial girl next door. I’ll have to follow up to see if he is still enjoying them.

I hope an expert will chime in, but from the limited amount I have read, the lifespan of the display is not as robust as LCD watches. So everyday wear might not be wise if your eye is on selling someday.

Edit to my earlier post: Any watch with Railroad Approved or similar on the dial is also evocative of a point-in-history to me – right up there with the LED’s and the Spaceviews. I should get one of those RR watches too ::love::. One could also add military watches to that list. Maybe a new thread is brewing there. Watches that convey evocative points in history. But then the Speedy folks will just take over :)

Enjoy the watch, it is sure to be a conversation starter!

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 12, 2019

Nice watch. Just treat it gently, don't let the batteries leak and don't let it get wet.

And being a six sided case I think it should be called a Hexagon watch ;).

I had a black plastic Texas Instruments one in the mid 1970s. Forgot to take it off one day when cleaning aircraft canons in the big spirit bath. Turned my watch into a black blob of goo with a flickering display as it slowly died.

Many years later watching a Terminator movie where the robot was getting squished and his eye was flickering reminded me of that watch.

DaveK likes this.
  6. durri70 Aug 13, 2019

yes, it looks like Terminator :O) hope that Arnold Schwarzenegger don't come over to kill my new toy . thanks for the nice comments.

7. durri70 Aug 13, 2019

If that's James Bond hands, he definitely needs an urgent nail manicure and some cleaning too :O)

DaveK likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 13, 2019

Real men think that a manicure is something that makes them feel better (if they ever get sick).
    Real men cut their finger nails with end cutters.
    Real men know that some dirt under their nails is just evidence of a job well done.

9. durri70 Aug 13, 2019

Well, don’t know about real men things but an artist should have the nails properly done . And some dirty under the nails .... are many jobs well done that don’t need to get dirt to prove that the job is properly done :)