Forums Latest Members

Vintage Ladies Omegas - How to differentiate the collections? Opinions?

1. vintagelady Jun 7, 2016

Dear All,

Again, I know vintage ladies Omegas (and ladies watches in general) might be a dustier, more vague topic but I spotted the watch below a few days ago and it had me thinking... how can someone tell/classify what collection these watches are? Pardon if my inexperience is showing, but even now on the the Omega site, you see DeVille >> DeVille Ladymatic, DeVille DeVille... and the watch below is a vintage Ladymatic Seamaster. I saw a similar watch posted in an older thread here on OF, but the OP was advised to pass since the watch was over-polished. Is the value (if there is any) in the Ladymatic line or the [ladies] Seamaster line? My head is spinning. Are original Ladymatics more desirable than revived line/reissued ones? What about the Geneve line? Oh, the mystery. Perhaps the women's Omega market/women's vintage or modern watch market hasn't reached it's peak or potential yet... I was just interested to get everyone's thoughts.

Omega Ladymatic 1.jpg
    Omega Ladymatic 3.jpg

Omega Ladymatic 2.jpg

Syrte and red crowned like this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 9, 2016

Hi @vintagelady,

At the risk of being blunt, and while I know very little about vintage Omegas I believe there simply is no market for vintage ladies watch in general, and I don't think anyone can tell for sure which is currently more valuable among various vintage ladies lines.

You should be able to find stuff that is very reasonably priced --if not dirt cheap.

The flip side, however, is that when you buy a vintage women's watch (which I've now done a couple times), you've got to assume you may never be able to resell it at the price for which you bought it. That's because so few women are into vintage watches.
    For the same reason I'm sure the reissued lines are more expensive, and much easier to resell.

Other than that possible waste, my thoughts would be, the same rules should apply than for a man's watch: 1/ make sure you know to distinguish an original dial from a redial: 2/ condition is key, 3/make sure you can distinguish what is good quality from what isn't.

In this particular instance, the dial is really nice, the case and movement clearly like good quality Omega, so it's a good start -- but I'm not sure I like that corrosion / pitting on the case. I suggest you should post a clearly identified request for advice on whether it can clean up nicely.

Edited Jun 10, 2016
    abrod520, vintagelady and ahartfie like this.
  3. Vitezi Jun 9, 2016

This question appeals to my inner detective, and is what I think is the most fun when it comes to exploring vintage watches.

Usually the first step is to try to determine when the watch might have been made. I would guess, based on the dial design, case design and movement, that your example dates to the late 1950s/early 1960s. A serial number and case reference would help to date your watch more precisely.

The next step to get a plausible answer to your question - and I say 'plausible' because, without a time machine, it is difficult to know for sure - is to scour the Internet for Omega advertisements featuring the Ladymatic line. Here's one from 1956 that positioned the Ladymatic with the top-of-the-mens-line Constellation, Seamaster and Geneve:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

From this, it is plausible to infer that the Ladymatic was a top-line women's collection. Another ad from 1961 provides some breathless text describing the line's desirable features:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

You may be able to find an old Omega catalog featuring the entire line of womens watches from the same era as your example. Collections changed slowly, so while you may not find an exact match to your example watch, you will see how Omega positioned similar watches and infer how your example fit into Omega's collection of womens watches in that era.

vintagelady, ahartfie and Syrte like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 9, 2016

I believe that the Ladymatics were technically Omega's top of the line for women at the time of the first advertisement, which was around the mid-1950's. The Ladymatic was waterproof, with an automatic movement. Essentially, it was the ladies version of the Seamaster, and equivalent to the ladies Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

Later on, by the time of that OP's watch (early 1960's?), Omega made some ladies versions of the "C" case Constellation, which were chronometer certified, just like their big brothers.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

OMGRLX, vintagelady and Syrte like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 10, 2016

This is very cool, so glad to see some light being shed on the history, you guys rock!

Edited Jun 10, 2016
    vintagelady likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 10, 2016

There is the ladies seamaster ( both looking for new homes by the way ;) )

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  7. ChrisN Jun 10, 2016

These dive watches are very nice. Strong price though.

I made one for my wife as shown below.
    Front.jpg

There are some very nice ladies Omega watches from the sixties and the prices are very good. Much better than trying to find an early SM300 or a 321 Speedmaster at a good price.;)

Cheers, Chris

OMGRLX, TNTwatch, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Jun 10, 2016

I'd say that instead of looking at women's watches, you could find a mid-size Omega Seamaster from the same period of time. There are often some for sale, both on here and eBay. One of the references are 2826, another is 2828. It's often called a "boy's size", and at 31mm with not unsubstantial case they are a bit more versatile than "pure" women's watches, which often clock in at around 22-25mm.

Here's my GF's gold-capped 2826:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/page-2175#post-451629

Quite often these are found for sale in very good condition compared to similar, larger Seamasters.

OMGRLX and Syrte like this.
  9. dialstatic Jun 10, 2016

Also: start building a collection of a certain specific type rather than collecting ladies' Omegas all over the place. A collection with focus is generally more interesting both to yourself, and to possible future buyers. Who knows, maybe you'll start a trend, cause others to be interested, and can now get in on the ground floor :)

Edited Jun 10, 2016
    vintagelady and Syrte like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 10, 2016

if @vintagelady likes ladies' watches, she's lucky because there are plenty good ones to find at very good prices! Yh
    Very nice, there was one on auction a few weeks ago, is that the one?

vintagelady likes this.
  11. ChrisN Jun 10, 2016

No, we still have ours. Am not allowed to mention selling it:rolleyes:

I saw the one in this link, the other day as I was looking for a blue one. Pretty sure I saw a blue one sold. I think $1600 is a lot of money for the Killer Watches one but they're difficult to find.

Cheers, Chris

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 10, 2016

There were a couple on Ebay over the past 6 months, 1600 is absolutely ridiculous.

13. Vitezi Jun 10, 2016

14. vintagelady Jun 10, 2016

@Syrte - I totally agree and am careful to follow the Rules of Vintage Watch Collecting. I have to admit that what prompted my post (wondering about the current market and future of women's mechanical watches) was the growing fear that I was going down a slippery slope... I think every new collector/enthusiast feels that when they are entering a new area. I've only recently fallen in love with vintage women's mechanical watches, and the ones I've bought I have no intention of selling (the same way I feel about my antique/vintage fine jewelry collection - which is what led to the watches). Unfortunately, the rookie watch collector thinks, "Wait a second, these things have a utility. How many of these do I really need? I can only wear one at a time [unlike jewelry]..." Once that happens, every additional watch you want to buy is met with more scrutiny - "Is it really worth this price [since I won't want/be able to resell it]?" To be completely truthful, I ended up negotiating the price of the watch I posted down... let's just say I snapped it up in the end for under $100. I thought that was pretty safe, as I know it needs servicing, cleaning, and a few more links. :) I hope women's mechanical watches find their way back to the limelight - the great prices now certainly are a blessing and a curse!

@Vitezi - I fancy a bit of sleuthing on the side as well, but apparently you are Sherlock to my Clouseau. I finally took to OF when my searches came up empty; thank you so much for the valuable info!

@ConElPueblo - It's interesting you say that, since I started looking into vintage women's watches once the newer, more modern ones started getting massive ("boyfriend watches" or whatnot). I'm petite, and forgive my vanity, but the larger watches made me feel like my wrist disappeared = "wrankles". The wrist equivalent of "cankles"... ha. My first mechanical watch was a teeny tiny vintage 14k yg Omega Saphette. Still looking for that perfect size...

@dialstatic - That's definitely an angle I hadn't considered. As I allude to earlier to @Syrte, I started buying for myself; you know, the "Ok, I need a dress watch, a sport/everyday watch...etc." I wasn't considering resale or rounding out a collection. I don't want to say I'm a "keep-your-eyes-peeled-at-all-times" collector quite yet, but I did just purchase No. 3 and already have my eye on No. 4...

Thank you to everyone for the insight and advice! I'll keep on truckin', and maybe one day (not until long after we have all passed from this world, it seems) my great-grandkids will end up on Antiques Roadshow and say how great-grandma wasn't crazy after all... :)

Edited Jun 10, 2016
    dialstatic, ahartfie and OMGRLX like this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 10, 2016

Definitely a very slippery slope. But 100 $ is a great price, for sure (then there's service of course).

Well some of us don't want a "collection", and consider themselves just enthusiasts, prefer one dive watch here, one dress watch there. At there are several functions and there's variety.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  16. ConElPueblo Jun 10, 2016

The Seamaster I'm recommending are not massive in any way; in fact many, if not most, men wouldn't even go near the typical 34mm Seamasters, finding them too small - but I get your point :)

A shame though, as I have JUST stumbled across a pretty good deal on one of those references...

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 10, 2016

Well, just to make the point, the difference between a 32mm watch and a traditional ladies' watch is really huge when you think of it:

This is 31mm:
    [​IMG]

A ladies' watch is VERY tiny, at 25mm or less:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pippy, red crowned and ChrisN like this.
  18. vintagelady Jun 10, 2016

@Syrte + @ConElPueblo then my Saphette is microscopic! The Ladymatic arrived today, so here's a size comparison of all my vintage mechanicals right now... apologies for the severely bad lighting >> bad photo...

20160610_194815.jpg

red crowned, ConElPueblo and OMGRLX like this.
  19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 10, 2016

Wow, so what's the size of the saphette and the ladymatic?
    That Ladymatic is very pretty by the way, at less than 100$ you did well -- just hope service is not too expensive.

ConElPueblo and vintagelady like this.
  20. Canuck Jun 10, 2016

A couple examples from the 1960s. Dress models, manual winders, from the Sapphette series. Karat gold cases, synthetic sapphire crystals.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

red crowned and vintagelady like this.