Forums Latest Members

Vintage John Wanamaker Landeron 48 Chronograph

1. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2013

I'm originally from the Philadelphia area (as Dennis will tell you; I fondly remember the Wanamaker eagle in the Moorestown Mall growing up), so when I saw this attractive chronograph, and was able to snag it for a reasonable price, I went for it, even though it falls somewhat outside my collecting interests. It seems to have had very little wear. The lume flake will hopefully be able to be affixed back to the minute hand. More photos later when it is in my possession.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No service marks as far as I can tell...
    [​IMG]

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 19, 2013

"Hey, its Johnny... wanna make a watch?" :cool:

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 19, 2013

I like the hand writing style logo, unique. Notice the 3x3 minutes telephone marker on chrono subdial, a nice touch.
    Landeron movement has been discussed in another thread before.......this one has been engraved in the bridge and got Incabloc, so it is 'enhanced' version.

4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2013

That was the logo of the John Wanamaker department stores, the signature you mention. Sadly, the brand is defunct, now part of Macy's. The flagship store on Market St. in Phila. has a huge Wurlitzer organ on one of the upper floors, still featured in concerts.

I'm very much looking forward to this watch...I think the multicolored dial is gorgeous, it's all-steel and a nice 36mm, and it will the only one of my chronographs with a telemeter scale (which would have been useful in all those thunderstorms we had in Chicago last week!).

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 20, 2013

I see, it is a department store brand. I thought it was an artisanal US watchmaker in the past. So this is like Tiffany brand watch.

6. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2013

Here it is on my wrist. The seller (who is a watchmaker, I gather) was able to niftly put back that lume flake!

[​IMG]

7. Nick F 05 Jun 24, 2013

Nice I remember my father and grandmother doing all of their shopping at Wanamaker's