Forums Latest Members

Vintage golden Omega from the 50's? Please help identify it.

1. STRX Feb 13, 2018

I have a watch that used to belong to a relative who passed away and I would like to know if it is genuine; original or assembled with parts of different watches. I’m specially interested in discovering if there is a way to determine the model or year of manufacturing, etc. I have attached pictures of the watch however its description is as follows:

The golden case is around 35mm wide (excluded the crown) with a domed crystal, probably acrylic. I’m unable to identify if the case is solid gold or gold plated without further testing.
    The dial is black with a textured pattern. The indexes are multi faced, golden baton inserts for the hours, double ones at 3, 6, 9 and 12, and single for the remaining. There are also very small printed golden lines marking the minutes in between the hour indexes. The hour and minute hands are dauphine style, also golden. There is a faded print below the hands that resembles the Seamaster logo.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

There are no inscriptions on the back outside of the case.

5.jpg

The crown of the watch spots the Omega logo with what appears to be a Mercedes like three point star in it. To the left of the crown there is what appears to be a diminute elliptical stamp mark.

6.jpg
    6b.jpg

The case contains a 354 bumper caliber that apparently was introduced by Omega in the early 50’s. It contains the following inscriptions: OMEGA WATCH Co; SWISS; SEVENTEEN 17 JEWELS; Ω 354 and the numeric sequence 13778130 which must be the serial number of the movement. In its inner side, the screw down case back spots a face profile icon; 0,750 inside a rectangle with curved angles; Ω OMEGA WATCH Co inside a triangle, also with curved angles; FAB. SUISSE; SWISS MADE; the numeric sequence 11276180; 2736 S.C and a key like icon. The inner case is scratched with what seems to be service dates.

7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg

I like this watch very much as it is and have no intention of selling it. After proper servicing and cleaning it will be worn on special occasions. I thank in advance for any information about the watch, its history, the markings and symbols in it.

11.jpg
    cosmofox, Dr No, McKinley and 6 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 13, 2018

Welcome and nice to see good pic,s and a avatar already.

The model is on the inside of the case back 2736
    The year can be researched by the serial number 13.7 million
    It's a Cal 354 movement type.
    And it's 18k gold :thumbsup: ( 750 marking )
    It's a waffle dial seamaster

Jerseyhammer, lando, STRX and 3 others like this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 13, 2018

Vitezi, STRX and neilfrancis like this.
  4. Bumper Feb 13, 2018

To add on from above, the mark near the crown should be a portuguese import stamp. Really sorry for your loss, wear the watch & enjoy it. I love the feeling of the bumper movements :)

STRX likes this.
  5. IgCarr Feb 13, 2018

Beautiful watch. Is the bezel missing? Appears to be in the pics. Great pics btw.

STRX likes this.
  6. STRX Feb 13, 2018

Thanks a lot for the info.

STANDY likes this.
  7. STRX Feb 13, 2018

I'm afraid the bezel is missing indeed. I hope it does not affect the stability of the dome. I'm planning to wear the watch from time to time.

8. STRX Feb 13, 2018

Oh, and thanks for the comment on the pics. It took a lot of time to get them with my limited photographing skills.

9. STRX Feb 13, 2018

Thank you. Regarding the stamp near the crown, it makes a lot of sense. I'm writing from Brazil and we have long ties with Portugal.

10. STRX Feb 13, 2018

Thank you for the info. The pattern of the dial is beautiful but does not seem to hold the printing over time.

11. Tik-Tok of Oz Feb 13, 2018

Welcome to the forum. I’m a relative newcomer here also who also has a vintage bumper automatic that I inherited and I want to pass on some advice I was given.

1. Do not send it to Omega or any large chain watch companies for service. They will charge a lot of money and replace and clean and polish :eek: the watch to the point it loses its unique vintage qualities.

2. Do try to find a local watchmaker who will respect the vintage quality of the watch and perform a service on it for a reasonable price. (Reasonable is relative here).

Even if it’s still running well it may require a service to avoid problems, such as oils drying out which can wear already older parts and make it more difficult to run.
    3. Wear it, enjoy it, and remember the loved one who passed it to you. It will last another 60 years or more with proper care.

Shout out to @UncleBuck for the above advice. It worked well for me.

Again, welcome to the forum.

cosmofox, STRX and UncleBuck like this.
  12. STRX Feb 13, 2018

Thank you and @UncleBuck very much for the advice. I'll make sure to pass it on if I have the chance.

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 13, 2018

Thanks for the shout out, Dave, and a hello to Tina, I know she's reading!

STRX, hopefully someone here can help find a bezel but it's tough.
    I'd be on the lookout for a donor 2736 watch, it will be pricey but it might be helpful for movement parts besides the bezel.
    It might take years, but this is a beautiful family heirloom and the hunt can be a lot of fun.

STRX likes this.
  14. Bumper Feb 13, 2018

STRX likes this.
  15. STRX Feb 13, 2018

The hunt begins. Thank you for the advice.

16. STRX Feb 13, 2018

17. STRX Feb 15, 2018

Thank you @STANDY @gatorcpa @Bumper @IgCarr @Tik-Tok of Oz and @UncleBuck very much for all the information and advice shared. I really appreciate it. Finding a trustworthy watchmaker nearby will be hard, but this watch deserves proper care. I had no idea the bezel was missing. Finding one (or having one made) would be nice. It is quite interesting to know that this watch may have been made for the portuguese market. My grand-grand father was portuguese and that may add a layer of hystory to the watch. I wonder if at some point in its existence someone decide to use the bezel to make a wedding ring with the gold. Here in Brazil, sometimes family members contribute with gold for the wedding rings to make them more special. Just a speculation, really, but it's something to think about. Thanks again.

UncleBuck likes this.