Forums Latest Members

Vintage Geneve Please Help! - Relume? Good deal? Photos Inside!

1. ohmayga Dec 19, 2019

Hello everyone! I am considering buying my first vintage Omega, and could use a bit of help. I'm trying to avoid getting ripped off, and want to know if this watch is good value. Many thanks in advance!

My main desire is a nice vintage dress watch that I can wear daily, and from an aesthetic standpoint this Omega seems to be doing it for me.

So my questions are:
    A) Is this a redial?
    B) Has it been relumed? Seller claims no. I noticed the lume dot is covering the 'S' in 'SWISS'. That seems like a potential red flag?
    C) The seller is asking $600 USD - Does this seem fair?

Here is what I have been told about the watch:
    - Model: It is being sold as a Seamaster Geneve. ref 135.011. It is my understanding that this is a bit unusual, but the Geneve's from this time period are very similar to a Seamaster, and it is possible for a Geneve to have had a Seamaster caseback.
    - Dial: Advertised as original dial.
    - Movement: cal 601- Photos below - Service history unknown (aka not serviced)
    - Hands: The seconds hand was replaced at some point with an orange Omega Geneve Dynamic hand - I actually like the orange/red color of the hand, so this isn't a dealbreaker for me unless this absolutely kills the value
    - Crown: Not original, but seller offered to add a NOS Omega crown.
    - Crystal: Original
    - Case: Seems to be largely untouched/unpolished. A few marks on the back.
    - Other: No box, no papers, doesn't have original Omega buckle.

Photos:
    8FEECWR.jpg View attachment 892850 ngpd9NW.jpg YLtoQme.jpg

Edit: Movement photos
    uH2KP9r.png ynjujy2.png

Thanks you very much for any help/insight!

Edited Dec 20, 2019
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 19, 2019

Dial looks good to me, but that lump is off-putting. The odd 'T' placement has been discussed in the past. Seller has not wasted any effort cleaning the cheese off the back of the case/ lugs. I don't know much about crowns, but this one is likely not original (no Omega symbol). If I could overlook the lume (and I cannot) I would want to see movement and inside-of-the-caseback photos.

Noddyman likes this.
  3. ohmayga Dec 19, 2019

Thanks for the response. I'm curious, was the lume much more minimal on these watches from the factory? It seems like with how close the 'Swiss Made' is placed together, it would be difficult to get any lume behind that marker without some overlap on the text...

Looking through old photos, I don't actually see any Geneves with these markers, lume, and the text spaced like that at the bottom..

4. sonicosa Dec 19, 2019

Seriously... ::puke::

nkb and ohmayga like this.
  5. ohmayga Dec 19, 2019

Here's the movement and caseback. To my untrained eye it looks to be in fairly decent shape. Thoughts?

ynjujy2.png uH2KP9r.png

Etp095 likes this.
  6. Vitezi Dec 19, 2019

Yes, Omega would have been more discreet, seen here on a similar Geneve marker:
    upload_2019-12-19_21-55-20.png

Unfortunately, the lume on your example looks like it was applied with a piping bag...
    [​IMG]

Rochete and ohmayga like this.
  7. ohmayga Dec 19, 2019

Haha, thanks for the great imagery. Overall I'm wondering if perhaps I'm not as bothered by the re-lume as I should be. The seller is claiming the lume is original, so perhaps that by itself is a red flag...

Do you think the asking price is fair considered the lume job?

EDIT: Just found this image. Seems like they might have come from the factory with a bit overzealous lume on some of these models?
    361248_28861_3.png s-l1600.jpg

Edited Dec 19, 2019
  8. ohmayga Dec 20, 2019

If I have the potential to get a NOS Omega crown installed at no extra cost, would that make this a better deal?

9. Edward53 Dec 20, 2019

This is not a rare or highly sought-after model. With two strikes against it, it's time to forget about this one and move on.

BlackTalon likes this.
  10. Vitezi Dec 20, 2019

Vintage watch collectors (such as those on this forum :)) highly prize originality and scarcity. We like watches that retain all of their original features, avoid those that appear to have been modified, and (as you might expect) prefer models that were either produced in low numbers or have become uncommon over time.

Your example watch was produced in high numbers and plenty of them are available, and since it seems that someone has relumed the dial and replaced the seconds hand and crown, we would advise you to keep looking. It is not a "good value" to us finicky watch collectors.

But - it's your wrist, and our opinion really doesn't count. Something about this watch has captured your eye, and there is a lot to be said for buying a less-than-perfect example and just living with it for a while. Most of us started out in this silly hobby that way.

If you would rather look for a "better deal" for your first vintage Omega, then I would encourage you to put your wallet back in your pocket, find a comfortable chair and your favorite beverage, and take some time to educate yourself on what makes a good buy, and what is junk. Start here:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/horology-101-understanding-your-watch.76731/

If you're still here after that, then dive into these threads:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/hor...luential-automatic-wristwatch-calibers.76549/

Don't be afraid to ask questions about watches other collectors are wearing. Join other watch forums. Buy a book or two on marques that interest you. Review the watches for sale on this forum. The right vintage watch for you has been patiently waiting for decades for you to find it; a little longer won't hurt.

If you acquire a vintage watch, don't forget to have it serviced by an independent watchmaker familiar with vintage watches, as the movement should be evaluated for wear and tear, then cleaned, lubricated and adjusted for accurate timekeeping.

MajorCindy, Rochete, ohmayga and 3 others like this.
  11. sonicosa Dec 20, 2019

This is phrased very well. I've been learning about horology and vintage watches for a couple years now, and I think I've been starting to arrive at this conclusion on my own. I've noticed the sense of urgency I feel when something catches my eye (which can lead to poor buying decisions) has faded noticeably recently.

I think this wording will serve as a great reminder when that urgency starts creeping back up, as I'm sure it will at times.

ohmayga likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Dec 20, 2019

I agree with all that’s been written above. As a whole I think it’s an attractive watch (despite the possible relume- the pips are even and done with a steady hand) and the pop of color with the orange second hand is cool- but it’s not a collectors piece and if you choose to sell it down the line you will most likely get very little for it- so if it ain’t cheap, and you hope to get your money back out of it if you do choose to sell-don’t buy it.
    My first vintage Omega was a 50’s Seamaster that had been redialed (I didn’t know it when I bought it)- it was done well, but a redial none-the-less. It’s very attractive and I got compliments on it when I wore it and was so thrilled with it- but as I got deeper into the hobby, I found it hard to wear it becuase it’s a redial- it’s not an original piece. Now it just sits in the drawer, eventually I will gift it off to someone.

ohmayga and kkt like this.
  13. kkt Dec 20, 2019

This is a reasonably attractive watch. The second hand and crown can be replaced with ones in the original style if you have it serviced by an independent Omega-authorized watchmaker, and it should cost little or nothing extra if you're having it serviced anyway. I'm still not totally convinced it's relumed, but if it is, they did a pretty decent job. It's true that it's a common model, and if you're buying it hoping it will appreciate you'd be disappointed. However, that makes it inexpensive and if you just want a nice looking vintage watch it's not a bad purchase.

ohmayga and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. ohmayga Dec 20, 2019

Thank you for the insightful responses everyone! You have given me much to think about!

sleepingdancer and kkt like this.
  15. Rochete Dec 20, 2019

It's a total ripp-off with so much non original.