Forums Latest Members
  1. ConElPueblo May 29, 2017

Dear all.

As I am currently selling a Helvetia dive watch with a built-in depth gauge, I have been approached by a member questioning the authenticity of it. Apparently, all Helvetia divers had a different case construction than mine and that the case construction belongs to a different watch, a Nivada. This is from looking at the "brevet" number on the case back and the theory is further strengthened by the fact that a section of the case back has been drilled out. See photo underneath.

[​IMG]

The member, who has had a number of vintage divers with depth gauge through his hands, has never seen one like mine. On Nivadas, the drilled-out section had the Nivada name.

My own explanation would be that the patent number (brevet) belongs to Nivada, thereby explaining the mix-up. Also, I have tried to do just a little research online and found at least one other marque using the same set-up as my Helvetia, namely a "Heiermann" sold on WUS some 7 years ago (!): http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-vintage-heiermann-diver-deepswim-depth-gauge-472928.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That one, however, hasn't got any internal markings. It would, however, mean that the case has been used by other marques.

@redpcar has a Nivada with the same case, most likely the "original" as the patent is Nivadas:

[​IMG]

I have a hard time accepting that mine should be a franken, as it doesn't really make any sense. The other Helvetia depth gauge watches I've seen have all been later, more funky 70's designs with date windows, making a transplant unlikely. Here's one:

[​IMG]
    ( http://www.vintagewatchclassics.com/product/vintage-helvetia-depth-diver-auto-steel-a-mazing )

Dugena and others make a similar watch to the one above.

My own:

WP_20170523_20_53_52_Pro.jpg

Any comments? Knowledge? Rumours? :)

2. Nathan1967 May 29, 2017

What I can tell you is that your Depthomatic is a damn fine looking watch.....IMHO the best looking from those above.
    Can the previous owner shed any light?
    All the best
    Nathan

Edited May 29, 2017
    DaveK and alam like this.
  3. alam May 29, 2017

:thumbsup: and I concur!

4. ConElPueblo May 29, 2017

I'm partial to that Heiermann, myself. Just found it earlier today :cautious:

I would still love to find some more info..!

5. rahilb May 31, 2017

Using Hanlon's razor it's pretty easy to come up with a nice explanation for the milled out engraving:

- Case manufacturer makes cases for anyone with the cash (including Nivada).
    - The guy engraving was working a 12 hour shift
    - Switches over from making Nivada cases to commodity ones
    - is on auto pilot and engraves Nivada
    - realises the mistake, figures no one will ever see/care so just machines away his error

Fritz likes this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 31, 2017

I'm not sure about the details, but I agree with @rahilb that the case is likely original.

If someone wanted to created a watch like this in order to profit, they would have chosen a better known brand. If it weren't for the less professional engraving on the back of the case, I would have bought the watch without any worries about originality.

7. alfat33 Aug 17, 2019

Hi, you may be interested to know that I have an identical Helvetia Depthomatic. In fact the serial number is 5758430, only 49 away from the one posted by @conelpueblo . My caseback has the same erased section as well. Rather than a one off mistake by a tired casemaker, I suggest that a batch of cases and were sold to Helvetia by Nivada, and the names erased as part of the sale. Avia also made an identical version.

My watch has had a much harder life than the OP’s and I am in the process of refurbishing it. I’ll post up some pictures when it is done.

@conelpueblo, thanks for your original post as it really helped my initial research i to this watch.

06EC3C06-1B17-440B-AD03-442512822A13.jpeg
    DaveK, Mark020 and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Aug 17, 2019

Cheers, happy that it was of use! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing yours, it is a really cool looking watch with a funky "complication". Is the crystal on yours intact?

alfat33 likes this.
  9. alfat33 Aug 17, 2019

Well it didn’t look so hot a few days ago when it arrived! [​IMG]
    It looks like this at the moment...
    [​IMG]

But hopefully all back together soon and looking nearly as nice as yours. Do you still have it?

10. Helvetia History Aug 19, 2019

Hello Simon, nice to see you here!

Thanks for the pics of these great Helvetias. I'm partial to them myself as you know:

https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk

I have seen one other like yours that came with box and warranty is that yours?

Carl

11. Helvetia History Aug 19, 2019

By the way if that serial number is a Helvetia one it would date it to 1968 or so. Does that sound right @conelpueblo ? I don't have much experience with these.

12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 19, 2019

just to stir the pot, check the lump on the left, from 1980...
    P1010804.JPG

DaveK and alfat33 like this.
  13. alfat33 Aug 19, 2019

Hi Carl, we keep meeting :). Yes, it’s the one that was on eBay with the box and guarantee. It didn’t sell there but I did a private deal with the seller via another channel. I had also checked the serial on your site and 1968 is bang on for this type of watch.

My watch needed a fair bit of work as the bezel was stuck and the capillary tube in the crystal was blocked. This is it part way through cleaning; the original state is too gruesome to show
    [​IMG]
    It has clearly been heavily used, which I like, definitely not a safe queen. The dial has been heavily tropicalised.

It runs OK, I just need to make the time to recase it. The crystal went back in with a satisfying snap so who knows, it may even have some water resistance if I can change the gaskets on the crown and caseback.

14. alfat33 Aug 19, 2019

Very nice. I guess it must have the same type of crystal with a kind of embedded rehault as mine and the OPs. Have you ever tried getting a reading from it underwater?

15. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 19, 2019

Sounds kind of wimpy, but I treat my newer divers to water. My older stuff stays dry. Why risk it, it’s what I bought my Citizen ISO diver for. And I won’t feel too bad if that drowns.

I did have this tested once, the watchmaker sucked all the seals out of it with his vacuum chamber before he noticed the “ do not vacuum test” clearly engraved across the center of the back. At least I got a full set of new seals out of it.

alfat33 likes this.
  16. alfat33 Aug 19, 2019

Fair enough, no need to risk it! Very nice looking watch though.

17. gop76 Aug 20, 2019

My Helvetia Depth Gauge

IMG_2266.JPG

Helvetia History and alfat33 like this.