Forums Latest Members
  1. jhross98 Aug 1, 2017

been looking at some dealers web sites. . .davidoff brothers seem to have amazing pieces at pretty fantastical prices. anyone bought from them or have experiences to share ? any other vintage dealers with fair prices for 'A' vintage speedmasters ? matthew bain ? european watch co ? a collected man ?

thx

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 1, 2017

i think you should start following these big dealers on IG.

(That will help explain the prices)

3. cell1010 Aug 1, 2017

You can also have a look on c24 all the dealers usually advertise their stuff there as well...

4. jhross98 Aug 1, 2017

why because some dealers have expensive yachts in the background of their wrist-shots ?

plexyforever, watchknut and wkimmd like this.
  5. Nathan1967 Aug 1, 2017

I think all of that tertiary "lifestyle" stuff helps to build their brand and justify their high prices. Guys like this are seen as arbiters of good taste, who are in the know and who are trustworthy in what can often be seen as shady world. If you're cash rich/Time poor looking to buy a great Vintage watch I'm sure they'll be a first port of call. They're great enablers.

nzshadow, Mark020, Kmart and 7 others like this.
  6. Nathan1967 Aug 1, 2017

I was going to add......I'm can't see myself buying from one of these types of dealer though, unless circumstances were exceptional. Why? The best examples to be found are usually right here on OF.

BartH, propervinyl, JohnLy and 9 others like this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 1, 2017

What he said

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 1, 2017

I dont begrudge anyone a profit.

Especially if they add value. For example dealers often add value by finding things I cannot - like a 1975 Soyuz for example.

They can also add value by ......

(I just paused at my keyboard......give me a moment.......)

lets think........

Gosh I am really trying here.

9. Nathan1967 Aug 1, 2017

Soyuz 1975! Now those were the type of exceptional circumstances I was referring to.

10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 1, 2017

Nailed it!

Go to them when it is a last resort, or you have more money than knowledge/time.

Thrill of the hunt is what drives most of us. Shooting a tranked up, on its last legs, ex-circus lion/elephant/rhino on a game perserve os much different from stalking one on the bush.

But hey, some just want the head on their wall and don't value how they got.

Takes all kinds...

nzshadow, Rman, cristos71 and 8 others like this.
  11. WatchVaultNYC Aug 1, 2017

There was once this guy who called about buying my Tudor Blue Snowflake Sub 7016, for his client. He practically did not care about the price, but he absolutely, absolutely insisted that I include a $5 NATO strap of a specific pattern (that I found in 5 minutes online) else the deal was off. This was because his "cash rich / time poor" client saw a similar 'flake decked out that way and worn by a friend. I was almost like, "well does it matter to you if I keep the Rolex rivet bracelet"? :whistling:

12. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 1, 2017

I think they also provide a level of confidence to the uninitiated, skittish newbies (the guys that buy a watch NIB from an AD then still make a "I hope this isn't a fake" thread) or to the casual (meaning not obsessed like most of us here) collector. Prominent dealers give them the sense of security that even if they are overpaying at least it isn't stolen or a fake.

Yes I agree 100%, but there are still many people out there that think sending thousands of dollars to a stranger on a forum is crazy so they stick with the dealers. More for us then! :thumbsup:

ConElPueblo, kov, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  13. perks713 Aug 1, 2017

When I sort price low to high and the first watch is a 61 speedmaster, I know the site is not for me. Unless this powerball ticket pays off big!

bovecHD likes this.
  14. sxl2004 Aug 1, 2017

Hey, that is my scheme to fame!
    :D:cool:;)

15. sxl2004 Aug 1, 2017

Well lets not forget that the Davidoff's organized a one of a kind watch show, which took for sure some time and effort to organize (Watches with Nicknames or so).
    :)
    It also certainly helped promote and sell some of their included watches, now with provenance...
    :eek::whistling:

16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 1, 2017

If someone here knows where/how to find the quality of the pieces that the Davidoffs source, and don't mind giving-a-dog-bone so to speak, pretty pretty please send me a PM :) Will forever be in your debt.

(I doubt I will get any PMs)

emilio and wkimmd like this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Aug 1, 2017

A good network, and deep pockets.
    :thumbsup:

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 1, 2017

You mean like, I should start me some GTGs? :D
    Been meaning to...''tis pretty watch lonely around these parts...

dbane007 likes this.
  19. tyrantlizardrex Aug 1, 2017

If only my deep pockets had anything in them ;)

20. wkimmd Aug 1, 2017

I sent you a "like" instead :thumbsup: