Forums Latest Members
  1. PNP Aug 25, 2019

Hey,

I've been pondering this question on my mind for quite some time. How careful do you need to be with vintage watches regarding day-to-day moisture?

Say you break a little sweat and are wearing a '60s Seamaster. I'm not talking about doing sports, rather a hot summer day or running after a bus. Would something like that be of any concern? How about you being caught in a rain with the said watch?

Pekka

Edited Aug 25, 2019
    DaveK likes this.
  2. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Aug 25, 2019

Get it serviced and/or tested for water resistance (just done this with a Rolex Precision from the late 70’s) you will then know what level of protection to expect.

Wear it as normal, look after it, take it off if you wash your hands/dishes/encounter substantial water.

Just be aware and sensible.

Common sense imo.

3. henrikaa Aug 25, 2019

Common sense will get you a long way. I feel a bit uncomfortable about wearing vintage navis outside in rain, for instance. If you know what you have and the state of what you have, you should be fine.

4. Ville_W Aug 25, 2019

You can never trust water resistance of a vintage piece even if serviced. Use common sense. Sweat is not an issue but I take off my vintage watches when I cook, do garden work and exposed for heavy rain.

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. S.H. Aug 25, 2019

It should. Corrosion under the seals on the caseback and threads is probably more often caused by sweat than saltwater exposure. And once there are holes in the back...

6. PNP Aug 25, 2019

Well, if I follow my common sense I think people would call me over-cautious. Thanks for the replies! I'll try to find a balance between enjoying a watch and not ruining it by being stupid.

7. JwRosenthal Aug 25, 2019

I was rather cavalier about vintage watches and moisture not long ago, and I paid for it. @Archer enlightened me with the very keen principle that without a pressure test- assume any watch is not waterproof (akin to snap-back watches), and proceed with caution. This doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them, just keep away from water and hot humid days.

PNP likes this.
  8. Flatfoot Aug 25, 2019

Common sense will indeed go a long way. I think one can find an easy balance in wearing the truly non waterproof watches we might own.

I have several early open pusher chronos, and when you look at them closely, you can see how easily moisture can work it's way inside. These chronos and other snap back watches simply don't get worn on hot, humid or rainy days. Instead, I'll wear a known, tested, sealed watch on those days.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  9. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Aug 25, 2019

From what I have read here ‘Waterproof’ does not exist...pressure test shows what water resistance you MAY have?
    With the caveat that my new 300 diver ‘should’ be good for a few years!

Just me, that is how I regard this subject.

10. Ville_W Aug 25, 2019

Well, if the caseback isn’t proper sealed sweat can be an issue but the most common cases when moisture integrates is when the watch cools down in moisture environments e.g biking in rain. Cooling down cause underpressure that sucks in moisture.

Larry S likes this.
  11. ajn3323 Aug 25, 2019

I had a newly acquired vintage chrono fog up first time I wore it when returning from a walk on a hot humid day - which can feel like that everyday where I live. Despite the heat I don’t sweat a ton so it wasn’t like I was dripping on it.Coincidentally it was my first eBay purchase and from overseas, so I was worked up about the whole situation. Turned out it was worn seals on the pushers. I can now at least wear it when it’s hot but I still exercise all the common sense mentioned earlier.

Edited Aug 25, 2019
  12. KingCrouchy Aug 25, 2019

It's common sense.
    Rainy or hot days, I keep my sensible Vintage pieces safe, or wear them only in the Office. While traveling I wear a Casio or some robust stuff like a Vostok.
    Really important rule, especially when young, is to not take your nice vintage pieces on a night out. Booze and Vintage Watches don't mix well.::facepalm1::

apsm100 and felsby like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 25, 2019

I just wear watches, new or vintage. If it rains it rains where I live, i have been caught out in down pouring rain and never had a issue with new or vintage.

Service is key, and buying decent examples.
    Raining cats and dogs and having a watch on that's vintage it may go in my pocket. Had a heap of vintage watches get rained on a bit over the years.

Just wear them and stop worrying.

(Some early chronos and dress watches without a case or crown seals are worth worrying about but this is a small % )

Larry S, jaguar11, apsm100 and 3 others like this.
  14. Ando Sep 2, 2019

Excellent question for a newbie like myself.

15. Rman Sep 2, 2019

I’ve worn snap back vintage in the rain under a sleeve and don’t fret about it.

One thing I look out for is steam like pouring water into a pour over coffee, I use the watchless hand for the kettle. I’d be most concerned with a heavy steam column like reaching into a pasta pot with tongs.
    Being mindful but not joyless.

If you tend to drink to excess and get careless maybe you need to use more discernment about what gets worn when.

16. JwRosenthal Sep 2, 2019

All good advise.
    This may be the best watch for those who like to imbibe heavily 2F0F6683-6C15-43F0-910B-73984D7AC8D7.jpeg - will look fine after a few

17. Walviskroket Sep 4, 2019

I always take great caution washing my hands with my vintage speedmaster. You should be fine tho

18. Ando Sep 4, 2019

What’s the likelihood a watchmaker can restore a decent level of water resistance without compromising the originality/correctness of a vintage watch? If speaking in specifics - a Speedmaster Pro.

19. JwRosenthal Sep 4, 2019

Very high if the case isn't pitted and corroded. @Archer could illuminate all that would be entailed in getting these back to factory "waterproof" spec but I assume it's rear seal, new crown, new pushers (or seals for pushers if they are replaceable).

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 4, 2019

This all comes back to buying the best example you can.

Many have said over the years it’s better to overpay for a excellent example than underpay for a average example.