Forums Latest Members
  1. PaulV Mar 31, 2020

Hi, first post on the forum so sorry if this is a common question.
    I have been given this watch by my Uncle who bought it new in 1974. He wanted me to have it before anything happened to him. I remember the watch when I was only about 5 years old, so no plans to sell it on and the more I wear it the more attached to it I have become.
    I have all the original paperwork for the watch.
    The watch is in working condition and overall is in nice condition. The only thing is the strap has been replaced with a Geckota strap and the original 1170 with 653 end links is not fitted or present.
    Is it worth me searching for a original strap as I would like to get it to original condition if I can?
    Also is the original strap worth fitting? the 1170 although original It looks like a more inferior strap to the Geckota currently fitted? I was hoping my Uncle still had the original strap but he said it became lose and it was replaced.
    Also the minute and hour hands have never been changed but are not pointed but have flat tops. I have seen others with this feature and I know mine is original. Is this an odd detail or normal for Omega?
    So any advice is welcomed.
    Cheers,
    Paul.

DSC09955.JPG
  2. Mattjames84 Mar 31, 2020

I'm no expert but in my opinion it's worth anything you may want to do or find for it considering its history with you and your uncle and everything youv got with it so far

3. OMEGuy Mar 31, 2020

The hour and minute hand are wrong for this watch.

Would you please post some more (better) photos?

4. Sherbie Mar 31, 2020

All i would suggest is a service with a qualified local watchmaker, asap, and a nice leather strap

personally, i wouldnt bother with a replacement bracelet right now - you can find them on ebay from time to time, so you can add one if required at a later date

Getting a service very soon could save you in the long run - as wearing it now could inflict damage to the movement if the lubricants have solidified etc

5. Passover Mar 31, 2020

SpikiSpikester and OMEGuy like this.
  6. PaulV Apr 6, 2020

Hi and thank you for your replies.
    I will keep an eye out for an original strap but not high on my list as the one fitted is secure and of good quality.
    I am surprised if the hands are not original as it has been owned from new by my uncle who has stated the hands are original and have not been changed. plus I have seen others like it. Did Omega do a short run with these hands fitted? Also why would the hands get changed? Damage or lack of illumination are the only reasons I can see and I am 100% sure my uncle would have mentioned if they had been changed at some point. He did mention the crystal was replaced but it has the Omega logo in the centre as he stated it was replaced with a genuine crystal.
    So this is a little confusing.

I will see if I can get some better photos but hard to keep reflections down but I will give it a go.

Regards,
    Paul.
    PS. Sorry for late reply but I thought I had set setting to email me when a reply was posted!

7. OMEGuy Apr 6, 2020

Can you show me an example for hour and minute hands with rectangular tips on other ref. 176.007 watches?

8. PaulV Apr 6, 2020

I think I got a better photo of mine below -
    Regards,
    Paul.

DSC02339.JPG
  9. PaulV Apr 6, 2020

I would think it would be rare to find 2 (Now 5 or more) watches from completely different origins to have the hands changed to identical types which are non original? My uncle is exceptionally particular about these sorts of things and it is not a watch with unknown history with the original owner still able to vouch for the history. He mentioned when he handed me the watch the crystal had been replaced and was an original part etc. and he did mention that the hands were original also and the rarer flat top type! If he had not mentioned the fact the crystal was an original replacement I would not have looked for the logo (Which took a while to find) I am just learning about this watch and I would not discard any information at this point. I certainly know there are more models with the pointed hands as most I have seen have those fitted. But I read though the Watchguy's restoration on the same model watch as I found it interesting and also the fact it had the same hands got me thinking. The orange tipped hand has I think faded with age as I have seen some which are very bright orange. But I would expect ageing of a 1974 watch.

Edited Apr 6, 2020
  10. PaulV Apr 6, 2020

Found another 3 with flat top to the hands, all seem to be the same type of watch face colour etc. -
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/first-post-and-first-vintage-chrono-176-007.21818/
    https://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/70124-fs-vintage-omega-seamaster-chronograph-176007/
    This person is asking a similar question regarding the hands -
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?108699-ST-176-007-calling-Vintage-Omega-Experts

So far found 5 including mine with same hands compared to loads with pointed hands.

Edited Apr 6, 2020
  11. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 6, 2020

You found two more with the flat top hands - the first two links are the same watch and same person.

12. PaulV Apr 6, 2020

Ah yes you are correct, got carried away:)