Forums Latest Members
  1. papertrade15 Jun 24, 2014

Brand new to the thread, I am a novice vintage watch guy but have been searching to find myself a vintage constellation from the 1960s with the black dial. I have read quite a bit and learned that the black dial is extremely rare and most are just refaced. I am just looking for some expert opinions, I purchased this watch just out of pure excitement of finding it and with a 2 week return policy I would like some opinions from the experts on whether or not you think this may not be what it says it is.

The seller advertised this as a 1966-67 guaranteed authentic Omega Constellation 148.004 with black cross hair dial and date aperture, caliper 561.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but am just hoping this is somewhat authentic, even if refaced it seems to be in great shape, I would love to have it cleaned up, the seller also said it runs strong but recommends a servicing for accuracy.

Any and all help and opinions are much appreciated.

$_57.JPG $_57 (9).JPG $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (4).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57 (7).JPG $_57 (8).JPG

Onfullblast and Northernman like this.
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 24, 2014

You did well - that dial looks original to me.

3. papertrade15 Jun 24, 2014

You made my night, I am so excited to receive it, roughly how much should it cost to have serviced and cleaned up?

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 24, 2014

If you are in the US I would say $200-250 if no parts are needed.

5. papertrade15 Jun 24, 2014

okay perfect, everything else looks right and good to you with the watch?

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 24, 2014

+1 , Authentic and looks good.
    Dial is original (which where most of the value reside) . Dial furnitures, caseback, movement are looks good. Case is a bit polished but still fine. You did well for first vintage purchase.

7. papertrade15 Jun 24, 2014

Awesome, thank you guys so much for your feedback, I am super super excited, now i have to wait another few days till it arrives. I typically would not purchase a watch online but seemed like the only way to even get one of these vintage beauties and when I finally saw this one I knew I had to have it. But I am sure like everyone else, especially someone who doesn't know much about vintage Omegas to begin with I was nervous that maybe this was not going to be authentic or just a complete fake. You guys have calmed all my nerves and now I feel like its Christmas week, just can't wait for it to arrive.

8. Aroma Jun 25, 2014

And it's one of the famous 100,000
    Cheers

John R Smith likes this.
  9. papertrade15 Jun 25, 2014

Hey guys, watch arrived today andit is mint, the only thing I'm noticing, as mentioned by the seller is the watch is definitely running fast, i clocked it and it seems to be close to almost 4-5 sections fast per minute. Again I am an extreme novice in regards to watches and especially vintage watches. Is this something that is easily fixable, and if so, when i do take it to get it fixed, roughly what should something like that cost so i know im not getting robbed.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 25, 2014

4-5 second per minute is certainly out of spec, even for vintage watch. I could tolerate up to 30 sec per day, beyond that I would meet my watchmaker. If you are in US, Mike/MSNwatch has indicated around 200 bucks without parts change. Where do you live? Many members here could recommend you good honest watchmaker if they know where you live.

11. papertrade15 Jun 25, 2014

I am in long island, new york, but close enough to manhattan. Yeah i thought that was way too fast, i am a bit nervous but hoping its fixable, otherwise i may have to part ways with the watch and return it. I do have 2 weeks to return so im hoping to get the issue resolved quickly.

12. papertrade15 Jun 25, 2014

Hoping someone has an honest trustworthy watch maker in long island or Manhattan I can take it too. Any guidance would be much appreciated once again.

13. John R Smith Jun 25, 2014

Strangely enough, the reason for a watch running fast is often that it is dirty, needs a strip-down and lubrication. Or it may simply need regulation, but that much out of whack sounds more serious than a tweak on the regulator will fix. Do not panic - you have a nice original watch, and these old Omega movements are very robust and usually simply need a bit of TLC from a good watchmaker.

14. papertrade15 Jun 25, 2014

Mike, MSNWatch referred me to his watchmaker so i plan to send it away and have it looked at, hoping I can get this beauty up and running right ASAP. I am already receiving compliments as it is truly a beautiful, rich time piece.

John R Smith and Privateday7 like this.
  15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 25, 2014

+1, your black dial pie pan is uncommon enough & in good condition to keep rather than return. Omega vintage mov't cal 56X is very robust and the best Omega inhouse mov't out there up until Cal 8500 came out.

16. larryganz The cable guy Jun 26, 2014

I love that watch - good score. Maybe it's magnetized and running fast due to that?

17. papertrade15 Jun 27, 2014

Thanks to everything for all there help, dropped off the watch this morning and I know it's in great hands thanks to Mike (MSNWatch). I will be sure to post some pictures of it all cleaned up and with its new strap as soon as it's back in my hands.

18. Dablitzer Jun 27, 2014

Lovely watch - scarce with white gold markers!

19. papertrade15 Jul 8, 2014

image.jpg
    Just wanted to post a quick note, had the watch serviced, cleaned and put a new strap. The watch is looking and working like new. Thanks to everyone for there help, especially Mike, I appreciate all your help and for recommending me to a very talented watch maker. I could not be happier with it.

Fritz, Privateday7, Mothra and 5 others like this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2014

Looks superb mate!