Forums Latest Members

Vintage 1965 Speedmaster Refurbished by Omega - Mistake?

1. jkolinger Jun 1, 2018

I have a 1965 speedmaster professional, 321 caliber. Wore it since i was about 15 (when big watches were not common - at least from what I saw). After 30 years of wear it was pretty beat up. Eventually it stopped working because moisture got in. Sent it to Omega in Biel-Bienne. for about $1200 they restored it. All replacement parts were returned to me. (Face, case, back, hands, springs, some gears...). I could have refused some of the repairs, but I thought I would like to have the watch restored to look as new and flawless as possible. As time has gone on I wondered if I made a mistake on not keeping it as original as possible in the event I wanted to sell it.
    Wondering everyone's opinion. Did I destroy its resale value? Can I recover from this operation?
    But I am now to the point where I wear it because I like how it looks, and i guess i'll just give it to one of my kids eventually.
    Is a 321 from 1965, rebuilt by omega more valuable... or less, than one that is all original?
    If a mistake - can I just have Omega reassemble the watch with the original parts? Would I then be able to sell it as a collector's watch? (Photos of the watch in current condition and original parts.) IMG_5804.JPG IMG_6025 - Copy.JPG IMG_6026 - Copy.JPG IMG_6027 - Copy.JPG IMG_5804.JPG IMG_6025 - Copy.JPG IMG_6026 - Copy.JPG IMG_6027 - Copy.JPG IMG_6028.JPG IMG_6029.JPG IMG_6030.JPG IMG_6031.JPG IMG_6032.JPG IMG_6033.JPG IMG_6034.JPG IMG_6035.JPG

2. MikeMan2727 Jun 1, 2018

Personally I would have kept it original. Luckily you have all the parts so it can easily be reassembled by any competent watchmaker. Do NOT send to Omega again.

Most collectors here will prefer originality.

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 1, 2018

Where's the original bezel? Did I miss that?

4. abrod520 Jun 1, 2018

It was already replaced, it's a DNN on the original case in the photos.

Very interesting with the double reference in the caseback - it's a double step but printed 105.012-66, then 145.012. I imagine it must have been among the very last -65 casebacks to be used, hence the -66 printing; then somehow it wasn't used until the 145.012 reference (borne out by the large pushers, though they could have been added during the service that left it with the DNN). However, the narrow-step T dial negates this somewhat. Very hard to tell whether it was (originally) a jumble of parts assembled by the Omega factory in 1967 or so; or a jumble of parts assembled later.

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 1, 2018

Where the hell is Simon Freese when you need him?:D

eugeneandresson likes this.
  6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 1, 2018

7. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Jun 1, 2018

To answer your question as your watch is currently assembled it is not worth much to a collector. Luckily, you have the parts they replaced so I would go to a competent watchmaker and have the replaced parts put back on. Still some of the replaced parts do not look original to the watch but still better than its current state.

Collectors want originallity so having basically the entire watch replaced besides the movement considerably decreases the value of the watch.

8. TDBK Jun 1, 2018

If you like the watch, enjoy it. It's not worth as much to a collector, but if you're not planning to sell, and you like it, no problem.

Paedipod and kkt like this.
  9. ANALOGUE Jun 1, 2018

The watch is definately much more worth if you put back the original parts! Then I would say it is quite valueble...

10. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 1, 2018

Up to you if it's something you want to sell or continue to use :). Looking at the original parts they gave back, I feel like it'd look handsome with them, but this is a personal choice.

11. Dan S Jun 1, 2018

There are almost two watches. All the OP needs is a movement for a second daily-wearer.

Edited Jun 1, 2018
    ConElPueblo and ANALOGUE like this.
  12. sjg22 Jun 1, 2018

Definitely worth more with the original parts. Having the original double-stepped back is nice.

Original lume isn’t the most attractive - you can tell there was moisture ingress - and if it were my watch I’d consider a top-end re-lume (Simon Freese, STS, LAWW) although many here may disagree. A really attractive top end relume may out-sell a mediocre but original dial if you’re thinking purely about value maximization.

I’d hunt for a B- quality DON bezel (nice but with flaws) for <$2,500 as it’ll add more to the value than you likely will pay for it.

red crowned likes this.
  13. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

I'd take the original hands out of the package and store them so they don't rub against each other. Then I'd look for a competent (not Omega) watchmaker and have the watch restored to its former glory. It'll be worth 3 times more then even with DNN bezel.

Taddyangle likes this.
  14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 2, 2018

Before totally judging the original dial, I would like to see pictures of it under better lighting with better white balance (it’s on something white, which looks blue, right)? Try under direct sunshine...

15. marturx Jun 2, 2018

The by far nicest part you have from your old watch is the dial, and whatever you do, don´t touch it or tamper with it.

Also, take out the original hands from that plastic bag and store them separately. They goes with your dial. The chrono sec hand though, seems to have been replaced, probably at the same occasion when the bezel was exchanged and the case was polished

The bracelet is also probably added later. Is it the same bracelet that you bought the watch with?

Davidt likes this.
  16. Tritium Jun 2, 2018

17. maxbelg Jun 2, 2018

18. Exiztence Jun 2, 2018

Feels like 1200 was pretty cheap for the amount of stuff they replaced and you actually got to keep.

frederico likes this.
  19. maxbelg Jun 2, 2018

Yes, considering you can build another Speedy with a movement and a few small parts.

20. Exiztence Jun 2, 2018

Yup, I mean new case for 1200 wouldn't feel like a rip off, but all that stuff + service + dial + hands...