Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 18k OMEGA 30T2Rg Chronometre (1945/46)

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 16, 2019

As some readers will know, there has been an uptick in the "buzz" about these classic Omega chronometres, thanks to our own forum member Erich (aka mac_omega), who has written, published, and recently offered for sale the definitive guide to Omega chronometres. It is a book that is a "must have" for any serious Omega collector, or lover of chronometers. For those who aren't yet aware of it, here is the relevant thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-chronometer-book-omega-forums-limited-edition.90782/

I have owned a few of these Chronometres over the years, and every time that I have sold one, have felt at least a twinge of regret! I think that they are great watches, and they obviously hold an important place in Omega’s history.

The 30T2Rg chronometres mainly came in two sizes, and this one is the smaller of the two. I have a smaller wrist, and find the size of these 33mm versions to be fine, especially given the narrow lugs and large dial. The 18k yellow gold case on this one has received a polish at some point, but the lines remain well defined, and both gold hallmarks remain clear and deep. There are a few light scratches, but nothing deep, and I would conservatively characterize the case as “good” to "very good".

There are two notable scratches on the original dial, one of which is long and intersects the sub-dial. Typical of such scratches, they catch the eye at certain angles, but are less noticeable at others. I have provided a number of photos in an effort to show how the dial appears under somewhat different lighting and viewing angles.

The hands are original, and I find the contrasting blued steel sub-second hand to be a beautiful design touch that Omega typically employed with these gold cased chronometres. I also find these early, big sub-dial versions to be very attractive. They are also historically interesting in that the oversized sub-second design was clearly influenced by pocket watches, which were still in fairly widespread use at the time.

The movement is in very good to excellent condition, though I would recommend a service. It dates to 1945/46, which makes this an early example. That date period is also consistent with the unsigned crown (note the image in the advert below), which, while correct, cannot, like most crowns, be verified as necessarily original.

The watch is working correctly, but I have not worn it with any regularity, nor have I timed it.

Original dial examples of these chronometres never appear with frequency on the market, and I would say that the supply is tightening. There are some redials around, most of which are easy to spot, and for obvious reasons they not in great demand. The values of excellent or better original examples have been going up, though some are perhaps a bit unrealistic in their asking prices. There is one that appeared on this sub-forum not long ago for $5k, and was just sold. That one was admittedly in better condition than mine, but readers can can a good feel for the discount that I am applying due to the imperfections.

In summary, this is a classic and genuine Omega 30T2Rg Chronometre with an original and desirable Roman numeral dial. And while obviously not close to perfect in terms of condition, it is attractive, very wearable, and priced fairly.

I ask $1800 (or EUR equivalent) for the watch, EMS (express) insured shipping included. The watch is located with me in Portugal, and, as usual, I can accept bank transfers either in EUR or USD (in the U.S.). I would prefer a transfer in this case, but Paypal can be discussed as well.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jul 16, 2019
    Samir, bardamu, Hijak and 26 others like this.
  2. jumpingsecond Jul 16, 2019

This is beautiful piece at a price you'd pay if you were buying it a decade ago. If someone else doesn't take it soon I will. Get movin OF!!:coffee:

tmw57, Syrte, sdre and 2 others like this.
  3. rkman11 Jul 16, 2019

Holy hell! STUNNING!!!

Tony C. likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 17, 2019

Sold! Thanks to the new owner, and the support of the OF!

CdnWatchDoc, tmw57 and Shundi like this.
  5. Petervl Jul 17, 2019

Great deal!!!

6. rkman11 Jul 18, 2019

I’m surprised that even took a full 24 hours - beautiful piece at a great price!