Vintage 14K Solid Gold Omega

Posts
367
Likes
368
Hi,
My name is David and I have the opportunity to buy this watch. Help me learn a bit about it, please. Thanks!

OwSOUZL.jpeg wDnKIMu.jpeg 48NbBvH.jpeg GMF6SYX.jpeg TctL2Oo.jpeg ye3IInP.jpeg Det8Lqz.jpeg
 
Posts
6,814
Likes
10,615
What research did you do yourself?
 
Posts
367
Likes
368
Well, I'm pretty much a novice, but Model GX6558, from late 50's early sixties. 500 caliber.Tiny chip or scratch between 2 and 3 and some discoloration on the dial at 6 o'clock. I'd have the glass replaced, but leave the dial alone. I'm also not sure what the relative value might be. Need help with that. Thanks in advance.
 
Posts
8,811
Likes
62,401
What’s the asking price?

do you like it at any cost?

do you have a collection of vintage watches?

do you have a watchmaker for service?

help us help you
 
Posts
367
Likes
368
I have a few vintage watches.
I do have a great watch maker.
Seller is firm at 1400
I'm not sure there is anything I like at any cost.
Thanks so much for your help
 
Posts
686
Likes
7,585
Hi David,

I think the team are trying to gently guide you into good Omegaforums etiquette. It's considered a little abrupt, shall we say, to start off the way you did. Typically one would read through a bit, get an idea yourself of the rich information here, and maybe do more of an introduction. Then ask away. You would probably have easily found that this is a US-cased watch, early 500-series auto, looks in good condition, JB Champion strap... that would help you cross-checking previous sales on Ebay, for example. As @TexOmega says, "help us help you".

Welcome to the forums, despite the bumpy start!
 
Posts
367
Likes
368
Thanks for the intro to starting out. I haven't been able to find anything similar on ebay or watchrecon. What's your thinking on value?
 
Posts
367
Likes
368
I know, but I was searching for one nearly the same as the one I'm thinking about buying. The above link is all over the place.
 
Posts
8,811
Likes
62,401
1400 marbles is an instant buy for me😁

$1400 USD I would think long and hard with that scratch on the dial.

Less likely to find one just exactly like this one you show since it was one of MANY styles of Gentleman's watch with no model name. The dial in the waffle style is very nice but not a Constellation or Seamaster so will not command their price level

And, the case was US made and assembled here so that also drops the price in comparison to Swiss made cases, in collector's eyes.




Welcome to our Happy Home and glad you are down the rabbit hole with all us crazy inhabitants.
Edited:
 
Posts
367
Likes
368
Scratch is on the crystal not the dial. My watchmaker says that the crysal can be replaced. Thanks very much pdxleaf.