Forums Latest Members

Vintage 1007 OP, "tropical" or just faded?

1. johnireland Jan 26, 2023

Love the watch just as it is. Wouldn't worry about the lume dots as long and the material hasn't gone down into the movement...which you would have noticed when the watchmaker had the case back off. As for a bracelet...if you really really want one, you'll find one, and its always nice to have even if you never put it on the watch. I'd look, instead, at a nice tan or darker brown leather strap...and you should find lots of them. See which you like the best...buy more than one and you'll have fun changing them when you want a different look. Tan ostrich would look very good with this watch. And start looking for a nice Rolex stainless steel buckle...that would make it very complete. You choose with your heart and that makes it a good decision.

RevZMan123 likes this.
  2. RevZMan123 Jan 26, 2023

Thank you for the kind words! This one really spoke to me when I saw it in the window last year. It's bad when your watchmaker knows your style and is like, "OH HEY This just came in ..."

Funny you mention the buckle ... I actually picked up a black straps and SS buckle that Scott (timesofplenty) had listed and I think will turn it into a real looker, plus I can swap the buckle around as needed. I do really like the look of many OP or OPD on vintage brown leather straps more than the bracelet at times, which is the opposite of how I usually am about watches. Though strange as it may be, the 2-piece "zulu" kinda makes it look very unassuming and very un-rolex ... which is probably both a plus and a negative, depending on your feelings over the brand. :) I will feel much more comfortable wearing this than my dad's gmt-ii at any rate. (Which reminds me to email my HO Insurance Co)

7ny8G8J[1].jpeg
    timesofplenty likes this.
  3. RevZMan123 Jan 27, 2023

timesofplenty and peatnick like this.
  4. vibe Jan 27, 2023

Looks great!

RevZMan123 likes this.
  5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 27, 2023

You did well. I think the dial started life as a blue one. And watches without Date windows are not very prone to deliver flaking clear coat into the movement.

RevZMan123 and janice&fred like this.
  6. RevZMan123 Jan 28, 2023

That seems to be the consensus from the few I've spoke to about it. My watchmaker actually got it to swap the dial but then kinda fell in love with the way it looked when to got to the shop. I came in and noticed it immediately, which he obviously recognized, but I was never pressured to take it home. I sat in the idea for a couple months and then decided to drop the deposit seeing it was still in the cabinet waiting for me.

:)

timesofplenty likes this.
  7. RevZMan123 Feb 7, 2023

This thing looks great on the vintage brown leather too. All fluted type bezels do, IMHO.

IMG_20230207_113209.jpg
    Fallout Boy and Syzygy like this.
  8. Fallout Boy Feb 7, 2023

Just simply: a cool swiss-only :thumbsup:

RevZMan123 likes this.