Forums Latest Members
  1. khmt2 Oct 26, 2017

Came across this VC Ref 4539 that looks gorgeous, but I'm having some concerns. Specifically, the holes peeking out under the 9 and 12 indices, which seems to suggest that the indices were previously removed (perhaps for dial cleaning) and not replaced back accurately.

IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0071.jpg

Appreciate any thoughts from the experts here.

Thanks!

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 26, 2017

Though not an expert, I have owned a few V&Cs, and your concerns are justified if they are, in fact, holes.

It is difficult to imagine how applied markers might have been removed and reapplied without guiding the posts into the correct holes. However, if they were, in effect, sheared off, and the posts left flush in the dial, it is possible, I suppose, that they might have been reapplied inaccurately with an adhesive.

Frankly, given the apparent very good condition of the rest of the watch, it is odd that the dial might have required cleaning to begin with.

Edited Oct 26, 2017
    khmt2 likes this.
  3. Vitezi Oct 26, 2017

I think you need better photos to deduce what's going on. The nine appears to have dark shadows (holes?) above and below the marker...

upload_2017-10-26_7-13-14.png

upload_2017-10-26_7-13-52.png

khmt2 likes this.
  4. khmt2 Oct 26, 2017

Thanks Tony. U have hit the nail on the head - I have a suspicion that the dial is in such nice condition because it was cleaned and revarnished, with the indices removed 1st. If the indices' posts were indeed sheared off during removal, that would explain the 'holes'.

I'll see if the seller is able to provide further information.

Thanks all!

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 26, 2017

This most certainly did not happen at VC. Sloppy sloppy sloppy.

khmt2 likes this.
  6. François Pépin Oct 26, 2017

Refinishing this kind of guilloché dial is very difficult. I guess a person able to do that in such a way - because if it is a redial it is an excellent one - would know how to replace indexes. I guess it is only shadows or some light reflection.

But obviously I would try to be sure before paying good money!

khmt2 likes this.