Forums Latest Members

Victim #2 Of The Recommended Ebay Thread, Constellation

1. chiko7734 Sep 22, 2012

Just got my Connie that was recommended in the eBay thread. It really is beautiful!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the recommendation!

MKelley and alam like this.
  2. alam Sep 22, 2012

Nice! :thumbsup:

One thing I have noted while looking at many dials on these Constellations is the different styles that are out there! I'm glad Desmond is around here to keep us straight on these dials!! Your example shows only "Swiss" and not "Swiss Made" like mine. Mine does not indicate "Officially Certified" - I wonder if there's a difference in the expected accuracy on models w/o this label ::confused2::

I do like the "Explorer" style dial on your example a lot! Congrats and enjoy your new Connie.

Here's mine that I got from the bay about a year ago...

[​IMG]

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

For some reason, many watches imported to the USA in the mid to late 1950's tended to have only "Swiss" on the dials. I have several LeCoultres and a Rolex marked this way, as well as a no-name Globemaster. Kyle's Globemaster that he recently sold was marked like that as well.

Many times this indicated that while the movement and dial were made in Switzerland, important work such as adjustments were actually done here. I'm not sure if that was always true on every watch marked "Swiss".

On some of the early 2nd generation (1959-67) Constellations, Omega omitted the "Officially Certified" on the dials. I don't believe that it makes any difference, the movements were properly marked as being adjusted for positions and temperature. At most it may mean that the movements were not send to the COSC for certification, but I think they were anyway. At some point Omega realized that people wanted to see this language on the dials and replaced it.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

MKelley and alam like this.
  4. alam Sep 22, 2012

Good info! thanks!

5. ulackfocus Sep 22, 2012

Wow, look at the crisp bevel on that bezel! Great edges on the lugs too. :thumbsup: Don't polish those off!

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

Another great watch Justin! Don't flip that one...;)

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Yeah Justin, just remember, around here we don't mess with the Grasshopper ;)
    GH.jpg

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

One of the nicest early 1950s gold cap connies that I've seen for sale in the past few years. It is worth what you paid for the watch and I predict in a few years you will look back and consider it a bargain.

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 23, 2012

it's nearly impossible to find another one in better shape