Forums Latest Members

SOLD Very Rare Late 30's Girard-Perregaux Sea Scout Bumper Auto in Near NOS Condition

1. Waynepjr Aug 28, 2014

Selling because my daughter needs money for her books for college.

Offered for sale is my very rare late 1930's Girard-Perregaux Sea Scout in near NOS condition. This Sea Scout I obtained from the second owner who purchased it from an estate sale in Rhode Island in 2007. It was not running then and he just put it to the side till I acquired it earlier this year.
    This GP Sea Scout was purchased by the owners family as a going away gift on his leaving to war during WW2. It is inscribed with his name, date he left and service number. He served as a Fireman 1st Class in the Pacific theater of war in the US Navy aboard a Destroyer. I doubt very much by the condition of this watch it was every worn during ship operations, just to clean. The owner must have worn it however because it did have a broken mainspring as could be told by having no resistance while winding. The owner passed in 2006.
    This Sea Scout has just undergone a full overhaul and is operating flawlessly. Completely amazed at how wonderful this Cal. 89-2249 movement keeps time. This bumper movement is the second version of the first automatic bumper ever made. It runs better than some of today's movements! As you can see in the photos of this watch, it is pristine. The ref. 7701 case is also in near NOS condition, having only one case knife mark were someone not knowing how these tricky cases open, try tried to open it, improperly. :( Otherwise, this has nice sharp facet, rare for a watch of 75+ years. The dial has just minor aging and the original lume is intact. The dial has NOT been cleaned. It remains in its original state, just aged beautifully. The original hands have lost their lume however but are in wonderful condition, reluming in my eye would detract from the dial unless performed by an expert in lume aging. Few that good. The skeleton hands now give this piece a wonderful look only time can achieve.
    I have done much research on this GP Sea Scout and little information is out there about them. Between myself, my watchmaker and what I have found, this is one of the earliest Sea Scout to have been produced. The earliest know signed Sea Scout that I can document is from 1940, prior to this, the first models had unsigned movements and cases had the case manufacture name, Schmitz imprinted. Schmitz was also the makers of the famous "Clamshell" waterproof watch case. This makes perfect since as they were the makers of this case, not only for GP but Abercombie and Fitch for the Shipmate among other waterproof cases of the day.
    Watch is 38mm lug to lug and 31mm without crown. Comes on new black leather strap and wears very sharp on the wrist. Very easy to read with large numbers, one is very surprised! One must remember that these watches were made in a time when smaller watches meant less chance of damage in combat.
    Offered at $400 with free shipping to US address. Will ship overseas to limited countries, ask for shipping quote. PayPal + 4%, bank transfer, money order.

Wayne

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. theKfactor Aug 28, 2014

nice....GLWS

Waynepjr likes this.
  3. Waynepjr Sep 1, 2014

Bump....

4. Waynepjr Sep 4, 2014

Bump....

5. Waynepjr Sep 4, 2014

Sold!!! Going to a member of the OF family!! Love it when a piece stays in the Forum. Thanks to all that looked and supported. Thank you OF!! ::psy::

Wayne

SpikiSpikester likes this.