Very grateful for any help identifying this passed down three generations to me

Hi all, I'd love to know more about this timepiece. My family has always had Omegas and this one has come down two generations to me. Any ideas as to the model? Or any observations at all really. Much appreciated.

The watch model is written on the dial. It's an omega Geneve. The watch calibre is written on the movement 562. All the other information that you need is on the inside of the back watch case which unfortunately you have not included a photo. Good luck

Greetings. A photo of inside Caseback will reveal the reference number and confirm that it’s solid gold
The movement serial number dates it to 1961.
The crown is a replacement and the Automatic script font suggests dial was repainted sometime in its 60+ year life, both common service practices in the day.

I don’t think this case would have belonged to a Geneve cursive dial (before being repainted), unless it’s locally made. The lugs are shaped differently. The photo of the back cover is indeed a good starting point…

Thank you very much for the replies so far. I really appreciate the help. I'll take a photo of the inside case and attach it as peterkirk, sog53 and theluckyluke suggest.

This is the rough info as far as I can tell (happy for any corrections):

1961 Omega Seamaster/Geneve?

Solid 18k gold case?

Movement: Omega caliber 562

Watch performance:
Fully wound:
+79s/d
250amp
0.2 B.E.

Hi all, here's the inside caseback photos. Any further information gratefully received. Thanks again

Good news it’s 18k gold. Looks like a locally cased watch the 311 is probably case makers mark, and looks like some sort of animal ( pig?) hallmark on other side.
Someone will recognize it. Gold cases were made in France and England and other countries to avoid import tax of precious metals.
Do you know where it was purchased?

Thank you very much SOG53. Really appreciate the time you've taken to respond. I'm not sure where it was purchased. Very likely in England as my grandfather was based in Surrey. But they also have family links to West Ireland and Tours in France. I'll do some research within the family and see if I can find any more info. I'm very interested in the animal/pig hallmark - I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on what this could indicate. Thanks to all for sharing their expertise

Thats not an English case and I don't think there are any natively Irish cased Omegas, the marks are wrong for both. France or elsewhere is a better bet.
Edited:

I have no idea about that case. No Omega triangle and no marks that I'm familiar with.

Thanks Padders. My dad was a safety engineer and spent lots of time working on projects abroad between 1969 and 2010. Mainly in the South of France/Monaco area (1994/5 onwards) but prior to that in Sweden (1985 - 93). Other than that he was in the Hague (1969 - 1972), London/Aberdeen/Dundee (1973-84) Deflt for a year or two in the late 1990s, also Zurich, Geneva and Luxembourg
for 6 months to a year here and there during this period (late 80s to late 90s) But as the watch dates from 1961 I'm now wondering if it's from his father at all. From memory my father always had an Omega Seamaster on his wrist (he used to love talking about them). The straps changed of course and in my memory he had gold with a brown leather band. As I try to think back I have a recollection of a silver and black strapped one too. Maybe others even (no idea where they ended up!) so it's quite possible he bought this one secondhand somewhere on his travels. If my grandfather had bought it new in the early 60s (he would have been 39 years old in 1961) then it would have likely been from a shop in the London/Surrey area of the UK as that's where he lived and he didn't travel much. It's possible he could have picked it up in Paris or Tours but I now think it sounds more plausible that my dad saw this one, liked it and bought it on one of his work stints in Europe.

I have no idea about that case. No Omega triangle and no marks that I'm familiar with.
Thanks Dan, I appreciate you taking a look

The hexagonal hallmark looks somewhat like ones that were used in Spain...

The hexagonal hallmark looks somewhat like ones that were used in Spain
Exactamundo!
👍

Used up until the late 1980s.

Thanks speedb and JimInOz (and all who've contributed).

So if I was to summarise from the thread:

It's an Omega Geneve
Comprising an 18k solid gold case made in Barcelona for (or later used for) an Omega movement 562 dated to 1961. It's had a replacement crown at some point and likely a repainted dial (probably during servicing).

Sound about right?

Thanks all again for your time and knowledge

Thanks speedb and JimInOz (and all who've contributed).

So if I was to summarise from the thread:

It's an Omega Geneve
Comprising an 18k solid gold case made in Barcelona for (or later used for) an Omega movement 562 dated to 1961. It's had a replacement crown at some point and likely a repainted dial (probably during servicing).

Sound about right?

Thanks all again for your time and knowledge
It's not necessarily a Geneve model. It may have been but it doesn't match any Swiss Geneve design I can think of, not in itself conclusive but because it has been redialled (definitely not probably) it is hard to be certain what was there before. Up until the mid 1960s, Geneve branding was used for Omegas actually assembled in Geneva, this obviously wasn't. It certainly wasn't a Seamaster since it has no water proofing. There is a good chance it wasn't labelled with any sub brand, just Omega Automatic.

I've just noticed there is something funky going on with the crystal too. It looks like there is no rehaut since you can see the edge of the dial. Perhaps at some point a non original crystal was fitted, or the rehaut not replaced when the dial was painted.
Edited:

Thanks padders. Not a Geneve then - it seems potentially deceptive for someone to have redialed it to indicate it is, or am I reading too much into that? Was this sort of practice commonplace or would it more be a question of what was to hand in the workshop at the time of the service?
I'm speculating but it perhaps indicates somebody has assembled this from various parts in order to market it as a Geneve to maximise value?