Forums Latest Members
  1. nielsaabye Mar 6, 2015

Hi,

I have inherited an old Omega from my father-in-law and it is in pretty bad shape. But … it must be restored, or at least the parts that can be of any use must be shifted to a separate watch, and by this combining the parts from two watches.
    History – My father’s first watch was an Omega, my own first real watch was an Omega and I would like to add this third watch to the collection. It feels good to be able to pass three generations of Omega watches on to my own son (when the time comes).
    Can anyone in here recommend a shop/person that can help me restore the watch??
    I live in Denmark, but travels often in Europe, and can deliver the watch personally or send by currier.

Best,
    Niels

IMG_2757.JPG
  2. tzachi Mar 6, 2015

in that situation of your's and if Money is not real issue, I would send it to Omega. it will come back as new and AS ORIGINAL as it was, with supporting documents. its not the cheapest way, but if its a keeper, in the long run its the best way I think.

and I would ask them not to polish the case :), but thats me.

3. mac_omega Mar 6, 2015

I am not so convinced that it will come back from Omega "AS ORIGINAL"!
    Many Omega owners who sent in their watches for service had to realize that Omega takes whatever available/suitable/working part if the original part is no longer on stock. So many watches had been "ruined" the collector´s value this way...
    Sending in to Omega is the worst path to go... better find a good local watchmaker who is used to work on vintage Omegas - it is far cheaper and keeps the originality of the watch.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 6, 2015

"shifting parts to a separate watch" would produce a valueless franken.

Your little Genève Dynamic can be bought back to life by a good independent watchmaker. I'm sure some of our Danish members can advise.

Sending it to Omega may give you a "brand new" watch, but one without any of the history that makes nice vintages, and be prepared to get out your wallet.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 6, 2015

PS: and everything that Erich said :thumbsup:

nielsaabye likes this.
  6. Taksaha Mar 6, 2015

Some of the most recommended Danish watchmakers for vintage Omegas are:

Uhrmageriet in Aarhus
    Poul Halse in Horsens
    Krognos in Copenhagen
    Svajts in Copenhagen
    Bo Mølbak in Copenhagen (no homepage):
    MØLBAK URMAGERI - Bo Mølbak
    Øster Farimagsgade 16