Forums Latest Members

Verifying authenticity or model of potential new watch.

1. Walther Dec 20, 2018

Hello all! I am finally able to join the Omega club. The two watches I am interested in are a Speedmaster Sapphire sandwich (3573.50 or 311.30.42.30.01.006) or Seamaster (2210.50 or 2210.51) Planet ocean

I have loved both of these watches for many years and am excited to finally be on the journey to obtain them.

Recently, I found a listing for a used but very good condition Seamaster 2210.51 listed at $3000 USD. However, I noticed something I havent seen before on any other watch of this model. Here below is the piece.

1.jpg

My question is about the case back seen here below.

4.jpg

If you notice the case back is missing the engravings around the hippocampus insignia. It also seems to be missing the laser etching. I know that the laser etching was added to later models but what about the "Planet Ocean" engraving? The case back is devoid of the common markings seen on the ref. 2210 models. Is this perhaps a first edition or a pre engraving edition? Or am i dealing with a very high quality counterfeit? I have also thought that perhaps the piece has been over polished.

I have also noticed that the price of 3000 is quite low. Is this because it is an older piece as I have noticed newer pieces of the ref 2210 seem to be priced higher.? This would also explain the case back being over polished or indeed being an older piece.

Thank you all for your input.

2. Lbreak Dec 20, 2018

3. Walther Dec 20, 2018

Thats what i was thinking as well. Its very odd and I cant find another piece with the same case back. I think maybe its been over polished as the back seems to have polishing lines going around the case back.

4. Lbreak Dec 20, 2018

Maybe try to request for movement pics? You can highlight your concerns regarding the missing engravings on case back, and see if the seller has any explanation for that

5. Walther Dec 20, 2018

I have indeed asked for more information and these are the pics I was sent personally after I requested them. Below will be the four that were sent to me.

I havent asked about movement pics yet however I have only inquired about the the caseback after having requested and received more pics of the piece. I will certainly ask for movement pics when I have received a reply on my concerns about the caseback.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 20, 2018

Someone tried to open it with scissors and scratched the hell out of it.
    Then polished them out.

You can see the dents still in the grooves

Dan S and Archer like this.
  7. Walther Dec 20, 2018

Oh for sure!! I can see the dents on the grooves. I didnt notice them before but I just zoomed way in and theyre clear as day. I think youre right. I think they tried to open it with needle nose pliers or something and really messed the back up.

8. Walther Dec 20, 2018

If this is the case, and it is just an overly polished case back would you guys purchase it at 2500$?

9. KingCrouchy Dec 20, 2018

I would, but first see the mouvement to really be sure. I like this Ref to!

10. Walther Dec 20, 2018

I am definitely going to ask for movement pics as soon as they respond to me.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 20, 2018

Knowing someone’s opened it with needle nose pliers.
    I would have stopped looking 15 minutes ago. ;)

Mac5 and 89-0 like this.
  12. Walther Dec 20, 2018

Youre probably right. Who knows what shenanigans they did to the movement if they indeed were able to get it opened. Im gonna pass on this piece.

Thank you all for youre input!

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 20, 2018

Early ones of the 2500 ( non chrono 42mm/45.5mm) did not have engravings. The same generation 3313 I am not 100% sure, but it would not surprise me.

Serial number location is correct. Looks correct to me. It also looks like it’s got a plastic protector on the back not swirl marks. There is a newer example for sale right now with the orange bezel on this forum in the private sale section currently for the same price from a good seller. Note the black bezel to replace is not extremely expensive and easy to swap.

Another concerning thing is if this is an early one then it has the least wanted movement variation. There was some revisions on this movement and the early ones are not as valueable.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...cean-chronograph-45-5mm-ref-2218-50-00.85467/

These are great watches I have an orange bezel one.

Edited Dec 20, 2018
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. Walther Dec 20, 2018

Okay the seller has contacted me and said that it indeed has not been over polished.

I have asked for mechanism pics next and when this watch was manufactured as it does have the cards and box.

Edited Dec 20, 2018
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 20, 2018

You know I just realized there are 3 dial variations and 2 bezels.

The black bezel had white or orange numerals and white lines around the subdial.

The orange bezel only had orange numbers and orange around the subdials.

Honestly I’d get the one listed on the forum for sale and buy a black bezel if you want it. I’m very positive the one your looking at is an early model with the 3313a movement and will be needing a service. As this model has not been produced for over 6 years and this one is most likely over 10 years old.

16. Walther Dec 20, 2018

i thought about that but than youd have a black bezel and orange chrono pushers. As for it being old I actually prefer an older one due to its vintage-nous (if thats a word). Though the movement may not be optimal it will be a first edition (im hoping) which I really like.
    I considered having to service it immediately after purchase which is indeed a down fall of obtaining older pieces.

I am also interested in the speedmaster 3573.50 and would prefer it over its newer replacement with the long 311xxxxx ref number. Though I wouldnt mind getting the new one at a fair price as well.

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 20, 2018

I’m specifically talking about the 3313 movement which had 3? Variations. The 3313a/b/c. They all look alike and there is bad feelings (right or wrong) about the A variant of that movement feeling the A esp is fragile. The B fixed some of the issues and the C was a pretty big rework and is considered the most desirable. At the 3k price I’d reject an early A esp if it’s not been serviced. At service from omega which this watch WILL need it should be updated to B spec and I don’t know if that will increase $500 or so the service will cost.

TLDR it’s not a vintage vs new issue, as all 3 movements have the same dial case and hands. These need to be serviced every 5-7 years regardless of use.

18. Walther Dec 20, 2018

wow I didnt know that. I have mechanism pics on the way as the seller has contacted me back. I will post pics soon. Thank you very much for the input and these new things to consider.
    What do you feel would be a fair price or a 3313a movement?
    and are there any issues I should be on the look for?

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 20, 2018

How accurate is it. What is the service history need to be known.

20. Walther Dec 20, 2018

I will be sure to ask these questions. Thank you very much!