Forums Latest Members
  1. micked May 28, 2016

Dear members,

This is my first foray into Connie land. What got me hooked on the vintage drug is a Seamaster 600 that I found among a lot of fleamarket junk in my daughter's stable (!). But that's another story...
    I was the only bidder on this C shape offered by a major Swedish auction house. Made me a bit suspicious, but what the heck... Did my due diligence as best as I could, went there and had a look at it. Started with a light shake, date change function worked flawlessy. Case showed normal wear. What else could I do than place a bid?
    And now, the verdict...

Serial no is 31948167.
    The Y in the MOY is borderline, I believe.
    No SWISS T, but I'm not sure that was used in 1969.
    Dial and hands show light corrosion, looks trustworthy in my eyes.
    Crown is signed.
    Crystal is signed ,should be visible in the hi res photo. The Omega symbol is not aligned, does this suggest the crystal has been exchanged? Where all symbols perfectly aligned at factory delivery?
    The caseback shows wear, almost like it has been corroded, or pressed against sand. Any suggestions here? The observatory looks crisp, though.
    The knurled bezel has a different tint than the stainless steel case, this should suggest that it is white gold I hope.
    "Constellation" seems reasonably correct and the star seems to be correctly aligned.

After the photographs were taken I have polished the crystal and cleaned the case. It runs fast by about 30-40s / day and obviously needs a service. My favourite watchmaker won't touch it until after his summer vacation, I'll have to respect that.

What did I overlook? Can't wait to hear from all ye experts out there... MiDa-40507.jpg MiDa-40513.jpg

2. Geordie May 28, 2016

The marks on the back could be from a vice or a crude tool used to grip it. Pics of the movement and underside of the back would be useful. I'm not an expert but is looks kosher to me.

3. sky21 May 28, 2016

My guess would be that it's a reference 168.029. Looks to have the silky guilloche dial that is desired and this reference was available with or without tritium so the lack of the Ts isn't crucial. The hands and hour indices appear to have the black onyx inserts of the non-tritium version. The caseback seems to be the victim of an improper tool attack, and hopefully you have or can get some movement shots to check that out as well.

4. ConElPueblo May 28, 2016

This will look great after some attention to the, very, superficial scratches :)

I think it's a GREAT touch with the Swedish date disc, I would love to have one with Danish weekdays, though I've only ever seen a few. Apart from the tritium plots on the dial which have aged un-gratefully and those that are missing, this is a very good looking Constellation - congrats.

Which auction house did you purchase it from?

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 28, 2016

I think the dial and hands have tritium, but it wouldn't glow anyway. wouldn't bother me personally, especially for a good price.