Forums Latest Members

Value preservation/decay of a modern 18k El Primero

1. iamvr Oct 26, 2020

Hi Zenith owners

I bought this Zenith Elite Chronograph Classic 18.2270.4069/01.C498 last year as my own pre-wedding gift (sort of the last thing that's truly mine :D) with a 4069 El Primero calibre.

As you can imagine it cost me an arm (I saved one arm to wear it). I was wondering about the value decay for a Zenith such as mine assuming proper maintenance and all, or whether I should sell it as long as the price is still high (and invest the money in more value preserving Omega vintages perhaps). Of course it has a sentimental value as well as I wore it at my wedding, but if the value decay is just too high, I have to overcome it.

Looking forward to reading your opinion.

Cheers!
    IMG_2540.jpg

2. Dan S Oct 26, 2020

I don't think that anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer for a relatively obscure watch. But generally speaking very few watches hold their value, and the ones that do are usually either Limited Editions (not all, but some) or from a brand starting with with the letters ROLEX.

wristpirate likes this.
  3. base615 Oct 26, 2020

I'm not an expert on Zenith watches or their value but, with any modern watch short of steel sport Rolex, I'd say you lose the majority of the value you're going to lose the moment it leaves the door of the shop and goes on your wrist. Watches are not really a good investment and it's pretty random the ones that become stupidly valuable so I'd say enjoy the watch and the sentimental value associated with it.

iamvr, queriver and BlackTalon like this.
  4. TimeODanaos Oct 26, 2020

I'm no counselor for either finance or relationships, but... why would you even think this? The $/£ already walked; the sentimental value is unique and should appreciate over the years.

5. asrnj77 Oct 27, 2020

As others have said, the money is gone. I’m sure you’ve searched online to see what others are selling for and those are dealer asking prices. You’d likely get 25% less. Best to keep it and enjoy the sentimental value while you save up for the next project. But a 3590.50 Speedmaster while the prices are still reasonable and then see what else tickles your fancy.

iamvr likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 27, 2020

A gold chronograph always is a good thing to own. It works well with a lot of attire. I own too many. Perhaps a SS sportier piece would be next. If the cash outlay and “Value Decay“ bothers you that much, perhaps you should really rethink expensive watches. Get out before this thing of ours sucks you in and your wife develops a whole “my husband and his dumb hobby” stand up routine for parties.

7. wristpirate Oct 27, 2020

Wear it whilst you enjoy it and sell if it you no longer wish to wear it or you are bored of it. Allocate a budget you want to have spent on watches.

moyrules and iamvr like this.
  8. queriver Oct 27, 2020

It's a very nice looking watch and the 1st chapter of your personal story is already written. I would definitely keep it and write more chapters, unless you're desperate for money and it doesn't sound like you are. Nobody knows whether this watch will hold its value more or less than a "vintage Omega". This forum can't even agree on the definition of "vintage", let alone what particular vintage Omega model will be a future holder of value over the long term.
    BTW: like how your Zenith has double indexes on the even numbers and singles on the odds. It's a different look, striking and elegant.

iamvr likes this.
  9. iamvr Oct 27, 2020

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. In fact, as weird as it may sound, knowing now that the material value can pretty much be written off is somewhat liberating in the sense that I can now enjoy wearing it more often, appreciating the beauty and sentimental value of it, than keeping it in the box worrying about its loss of financial value. Thanks, guys!

10. CaptainWinsor Oct 27, 2020

11 years ago I got a Hyde Park triple date off eBay. I was in the hospital for my daughters birth that morning. I probably paid too much for it but it has a lot of sentimental value and eventually I will pass it on to her. Sometimes it’s not about what you paid or what it’s worth.

iamvr likes this.
  11. rcs914 Oct 27, 2020

Yeah, as others have said, I think you've already hit the "Value Decay" especially if you paid anywhere near full retail for it when you purchased. I would be shocked if you could get even $5-6K for it now, based on the same model being sold on Chrono24 for $8K now, and chrono24 is notorious for things being overpriced.