Forums Latest Members

Vacheron+Constantin - Am I in Over My Head?

1. WatchVaultNYC Sep 28, 2016

I got this one at a price I was willing to live with. The mark between 7-9:00 is a shadow. I've seen pics of this this type case in yellow gold (I think this one is WG), and the dial, but not this exact combination. Serial suggests 1960s. Dial could stand a cleaning but at wrist length its not visible.

Frankly, I know nothing about this brand except for what I can get from Google. Just want to know whether this is a legit VC.

And damn, it ticks loud.

[​IMG]

vc1.jpg vc2.jpg
    Edited Sep 28, 2016
  2. Rman Sep 28, 2016

This is probably a ref 4126 , movement V453 from the early forties with a stainless case, but you could look for hallmarks. Yes the movement ticks loudly but it's a terrific movement. I have the same case in stainless with an arabic dial, not sure your dial is original. The sub second hand broken off?
    They furnished these stainless cases with white gold crowns, yours looks to be a replacement. The Vacheron concierge is very helpful if you'd like to verify any info.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Sep 28, 2016

Thanks for the info - LOVE the loud movement. The sub-second hand is intact, just obscured by the small second cross mark. I have seen this style dial, but not in combination with this style case with the teardrop lugs. The crown I suspect as well is replacement. I'll take your advice and contact Vacheron concierge.

4. Rman Sep 28, 2016

I see your additional pics now,
    You've got the Geneva seal and a nice swan neck buddy, enjoy...

mebest likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 28, 2016

Legitimate watch, but almost certainly a redial. I've owned a few vintage V&Cs, and that font is not correct.

marturx likes this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Sep 28, 2016

Generally I'd return a redial, but the damn thing is bonding with my wrist big time. Is getting a correct redial a possibility?

7. cristos71 Sep 28, 2016

I'm just curious as to why a watch dealer would think a case that is clearly signed "acier inox" could possibly be made out of white gold?

chronos, marturx, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  8. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Sep 28, 2016

:confused:

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  9. jimmyd13 Sep 28, 2016

On the inside of the caseback is both a reference and serial number. Reference numbers were included after 1951. I have a Certificate of Authenticity that I've just opened for movement 679XXX stating a date of 1961. I think I'm right in reading your serial # as 608343/case 331953? The case numbers are hard to make sense of without access to VC's records but a 350XXX was 1956. Best guess then puts yours between 1951 and 1956.

VC began to drop the ampersand in the early 60s too ... so that marries up. I don't see an accent over the E in GENEVE but there is some fading to the font. This points to the possibility of the dial having been refurbished at some point but ... I'm never convinced when the only evidence is a lack of that accent.

They do have a loud tick, but I find that really reassuring and have often sat in an empty room, in silence, listening to the tick (ain't that seriously sad?). I see nothing to throw up any red flags about the watch at all. Enjoy it.

wsfarrell likes this.
  10. jimmyd13 Sep 28, 2016

The hand on the sub dial is just aligned with the cross hair in the photo making it hard to see.

11. WatchVaultNYC Sep 28, 2016

Because I got the caseback and movement pics from the seller *just now* and did not bother to look closely before I shared them. Only the first pic was taken by me :thumbsup:

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 28, 2016

The watch is a redial, no question.

The font is too black (if that makes sense), the Vacheron and Constantin script is wrong, and most obviously - the minute markers don't even match up with the hour markers! :p

It is a redial that attempts to replicate a design used by VC, however. So in that way - it is a "faithful" redial. Just not excellently done.

chronos likes this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 28, 2016

That isn't the only evidence – the font is wrong.

Try to find another example, and good luck.

14. jimmyd13 Sep 28, 2016

I don't think you're wrong ... .more than that, I was looking at the top of the dial all the time, if you look at the minute ring at the bottom it's badly out of line with the hour markers

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 28, 2016

You could perhaps find someone to create a more sympathetic redial. Not sure what the cost would be, though.

16. cristos71 Sep 28, 2016

Ah, I see, I was just a little confused by what you earlier wrote, I had assumed you´d inspected your purchase before posting!

17. Rman Sep 28, 2016

Vacheron will do a reprint of your dial as part of a service if your watch is authentic, they will even recreate the original crown:
    prepare to spend ::censored::loads of money.

18. WatchVaultNYC Oct 11, 2016

So VC Concierge got back to me. It looks like the watch indeed is a 4126 based on the case and movement numbers. Dial I suspect came from another VC (I could be wrong)

My understanding is that a single VC reference number can include a broad range of metals and dials?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

--

Dear Mr. xxx,

Our Heritage Department in Switzerland responded today regarding the case/serial number 331xxx and the movement number 508xxx of your timepiece.
    Year of manufacture is 1962
    Model/reference number is 4126
    Again, this does not guarantee the authenticity of your timepiece. In order to have the authenticity established, your timepiece would need to be sent to our Heritage Department in Switzerland and physically examined by our experts there.

As always, I remain at your service.

Best regards,

Melanie
    Vacheron Constantin
    North America Concierge Service