Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 6, 2021

It's the City of Alexandria. Something like 65,000 in Groups 1a and 1b, and only about 9,000 have been vaccinated so far. It HAS to ramp up, but even doubling will not help get through the most critical groups in a very timely manner.

flw likes this.
  2. M'Bob Feb 6, 2021

But at the very least, someone who has had a documented case can certainly cede their vaccination spot to someone in a similar roll-out phase who has never been infected.

blufinz52 and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2021

One of my coworkers is doing that. She is giving herself 3 months before vaccination to give others priority. That being said I ahve to say I'm impressed with Detroits organization and pace.

4. PhotonX Feb 6, 2021

Texas Motor Speedway is a new vaccination site outside of Dallas. The area has been converted to a large drive thru vaccination center. The site was averaging about 9,000 vaccinations per day during the first week. They are hoping to get up to 10K/day by this weekend. Mass vaccination is occurring in Texas...hope other areas in the US can mimic this setup over time

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 6, 2021

It is supply-dependent. Plenty of sites in the DC region could be used, but the supply is not here.

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 6, 2021

NHS Scotland :thumbsup:

7. PhotonX Feb 6, 2021

Per the TMS, supply is not the issue at the moment for this site. It's people not showing up for their appt. They would have reached 10K per day if people did not miss their appointments. I suppose at such a high throughput, they could run out before the next batch arrives. Will be interesting to see

8. Walrus Feb 6, 2021

Ha ha I was way off. The website looks very similar to what we use in the US

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 6, 2021

I think I'll be waiting a while, until late March at least. Maybe I'll get a jab on April 1st!

CovidVacCheck.png

Maybe I should have stayed in the military reserve :D.

Oh well, we don't have any active (uncontained) cases in Victoria with a population of 6.5 million, so it'll just be normal life as usual (masks/distancing/sanitising etc) until I get the jab.

CovidVacResult.png

10. Dan S Feb 6, 2021

Well, good news. My 87 year-old mother just got an appointment for her first vaccination for next week. Now I can only hope that the weather cooperates and she is somehow able to get herself where she needs to go.

Taddyangle, blufinz52 and jsducote like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2021

Hopefully it goes well in Australia, its a bit worrying that our situation has led to complacency and maybe some people won’t get it just because Covid is almost seen as a US/European problem by some here. Then there’s the people in the Byron commune that likely won’t get it because they want to go with kale smoothies instead.

Watching the cricket at the Gabba, with a stadium full of virus free people really was a good feeling though, we’re really lucky with how things have turned out here, especially in Queensland.

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 6, 2021

Only 25 million people to jab? That must be nice knowing the list is so short :cool:

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2021

It’s also interesting to see how many of us got it.... I guess we’re an old forum!!! Or a forum of olds!!

blufinz52 likes this.
  14. TimeODanaos Feb 6, 2021

My wife's mother had the first dose (Pfizer) and it's all going well. There's a lot of debate about e.g. schoolteachers getting ahead of, say, fit 60-somethings, which would be totally fine by me, but I hear arguments both sides. Any views or experiences out there?

jsducote likes this.
  15. jsducote Feb 6, 2021

Whoa! Hey gang, OP here, finally returning to catch up on the discussion. Let me see if I can answer a few of the questions that came up...

Yes, I'm in the US. My use of the word "jab" instead of "shot" was because I watch more British TV than US (I'm just odd, don't read anything else into it) and the lingo rubbed off. Also, I just like the imagery of a jab in the arm better than what would otherwise be common where I live, in Texas (read into that, if you like). I'm not trying to debate the merits of nationalized healthcare or how to read a calendar though, for the record, the year should always come first: Filename_20200206.txt.

Yes, using influence/affluence to cut the line exists. No, I do not have enough of either to do it; I also believe I have enough moral principles not to do it if it were offered. My thought experiment of exploring going to another doctor was not to get higher in the line than I deserve, merely to find a doctor associated with the hospitals currently administering doses. Here, not every doctor/clinic is even allocated doses to administer. As I said, my fiancée is a patient at one of said hospitals, while I am not. I am fortunate enough to have private health insurance and it affords me the ability to choose different doctors. In the end, I doubt that it will get me the vaccine any faster and certainly no faster than I deserve. (Note: My use of the word 'deserve' is based on the definitions provided by state and local health officials, not some fictional entitlement in my head.)

Yes, the national, state, and county websites for my locale list numbers of vaccine received and doses given. There is a website with a map of specific hospitals & clinics with the numbers associated with each. I don't feel having those numbers is the same thing as "transparency" though because my biggest confusion & frustration is about my place in line and, honestly, whether or not I'm actually in line. At any of the registrations I've signed up for, none of them were able to tell me that I'm number X in line. Every butcher and fishmonger in town has a roll of pull tabs where you get your number, you can see who they're serving, and have some confidence that they'll eventually get to you. I understand that shortages happen and they can only administer doses if they have them. I'm happy to wait my turn in line, but I can't tell that I'm actually waiting in line. I liked the comment where it was compared to the Snoopy distribution - people's experiences of calling different OBs and being told different stories, different deposits, no real assurance that they'd be allocated anything.

I'm also glad that we're not debating the virus, it's origins, or its treatment. I'm very happy that some of you (and your loved ones) are getting vaccinated. I hope that it will lead to a future that's better than the present.

16. roseskunk Feb 6, 2021

Apparently I'm still too young and too healthy to have my shot yet. I guess that's good.

blufinz52 likes this.
  17. 30t1 Feb 6, 2021

Long while to go, sometime after summer. Most likely I will need it, for some future travel for racing.

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 7, 2021

Was a little bit concerned/ disappointed to hear the news this morning that the Oxford/Astra vaccine might have “limited effect on minor illness from the South African variant but likely reduce the potential of serious illness”

Whilst I realise that the primary function of vaccinations is to stop people dying ( and I am grateful for that) my ideal (medium term) goal is to be able to travel internationally again for work
    this news might just scupper those aspirations, as I think a ‘vaccine passport’ (similar to the yellow fever one) will be required for a lot of countries I would intend to visit.

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 7, 2021

The most terrifying thing about COVID 19 is the morbidity associated with it and those very strange side symptoms some experience (taste, smell, organ failure, trombosis etc. To me, taking the severe symptoms, the risk of death and having to be hospitalized is worth it on it's own. Without that this is a manageable illness more akin to the Flu.

On the travel passport I would not be surprised if that takes hold, but if the Oxford Vaccine does not meet the requirements (and I'm not saying it does not, just going on your hypothetical ) then I'm sure the National service will issue a boost or a secondary vaccine for travelers. In a few months your doctor or local center will probably be able to administer it (in the US even a Pharmacy like CVS) so it won't be quite the hassle to get it. Or at lest I Hope So.

Gav1967 likes this.
  20. Dan S Feb 7, 2021

Unfortunately, as you probably know, the South African variant isn't limited to that country. It's everywhere now. From a high-level view, what this really suggests is that we will probably be getting COVID vaccinations on a regular basis for the rest of our lives, to keep pace with various mutations.

sxl2004, Linzer, Archer and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.