Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2021

Based on eligible people that work only industry and are deciding not to get it. I work own Restaurants and Hotel industry so anyone on the janitorial or food and beverage teams is eligible right now are in Detroit.

Frustrating to see how many people are opting out. I also have a few friends that are not eligible right now that are opting out.

And...I know nurses that are opting out from vaccination!! nurses!

I pay a nurse team to test my entire team every week. They come to the hotel and test everyone and results normally come in within a day. The team is ecstatic. It's free to them and makes them more confident to be at work. It also helps isolate any cases in a fairly small window. We're doing our best to keep all information and data current and on helping schedule vaccinations etc...We even begin doctors to give town-hall virtual educational meetings....but some folks just don't trust it

sxl2004, jsducote, Darlinboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

so no real worthwhile evidence at all. thanks

3. JwRosenthal Feb 6, 2021

Perhaps Rolex can offer vaccines through their AD’s. Purchase 3 Measles, 4 Smallpox and 2 Polio vaccines, and it bumps you up list to maybe get the CV19 vaccine if you have coffee with the salesman.

We have to laugh otherwise we would cry.

4. Dan S Feb 6, 2021

I'm not sure what type of data would convince you, since the only way to estimate this fraction is via surveys/polls. There is no official "opt out" registration. Surveys in the US are showing a disturbingly high fraction of people who say they will not take the vaccine. On the bright side, this fraction is gradually decreasing with time as other people take it without major side effects.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2021

OK, sorry for my wrong use of language.

Pace: consistent and continuous speed in walking, running, or moving.
    Rate: The definition of a rate is a quantity measured and compared to another quantity measured

But, seeing your point on how either can be used...and to make it clear to you....let me refrase:

Social distancing and other measures taken by world-wide governments are a response to an effort to slow the rate, or pace of infections so the medical system will not be overwhelmed....although it may not, necessarily, change the actual amount of infections. In other words...If there are 6 hospital beds available, and 10 people get infected as once and need treatment at once...then 4 of them are not going to get treatment. If we get the same 10 people to get infected 2 at a time....then there will always be beds available. Of course, beds are needed for other patients as well.

Hope this helps you understand my point. If it doesn't then it is no longer because of my English language skills. (I am Spanish after all) but your inability to understand things....or your unwillingness....or both....or you're just being "special" about it for no reason.

cvalue13 likes this.
  6. KeithS Feb 6, 2021

The hospital where I work has allowed healthcare workers to opt into a study that checks for antibodies following a confirmed COVID infection. While the final results are still pending, I know that two of my co-residents who had confirmed infections (positive PCR test + symptoms) were negative for antibodies at 6 months. Studies out of Korea and Australia report similar findings. I'm not sure I would turn down the vaccine despite having had a COVID infection in the past.

sxl2004, rcs914, mr_smith and 5 others like this.
  7. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

You do realise we are an international forum and this is a worldwide pandemic i assume. I am not suggesting you are wrong and suspect you may be right but "my Auntys, brother cousins friend says" argument is not something I can subscribe to.
    From what I can gather googling in the uk the take up rate has been circa 85% thus far and of the 15% who have declined there will be some because of ill health, mobility issues etc. 85% would be ok for herd immunity but all irrelevant if world wide the take up is 10%

just intersted in proper data not heresay

Syrte likes this.
  8. Dan S Feb 6, 2021

I guess you could google and find some proper survey data if you are really interested.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2021

Well, I am not sure who has "real" world wide experience. But I guess I live on a bubble that is an exception to the rule. Unlucky me.

It is not like the news networks are not reporting people being cautious or flat out against vaccination (covid or otherwise) world-wide. But I suppose that doesn't count either.

It's like an anti-conspiracy-conspiracy

Weird.

Edited Feb 6, 2021
  10. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

i did read my post and i didnt make the original claim of many refusing

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2021

It's not here-say Gav. What I described to you is some of my actually Staff, team workers, peers, and nurses telling ME directly that they don't want to do it. When I have friends that tell me they won't do it, I am not saying I have friends that say that they have friends that say that...I am saying THEY tell me NO.

blufinz52, Gav1967 and Dan S like this.
  12. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

You mistake me for someone who disagrees with you. I don't and where worldwide pandemics are concerned we all live in a bubble

Your networks are reporting that and now you are presenting some supporting evidence which is interesting and first time I have heard this.

Networks in the uk are suggesting the take up is very good but I realise that we are not representative of the rest of world necessarily.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  13. Dan S Feb 6, 2021

Here are some survey data, last updated on January 19. With the exception of Denmark and the UK, less than 50% strongly agree that they would get the vaccine. Even adding together "agree" and "strongly agree" is less than 2/3 in most countries. The UK is at about 70%. In separate surveys that I have seen, the US is at approximately the 2/3 mark on the same question.

https://ichpanalytics.imperialcolle...id=1&:isGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&:embed=y

Nobel Prize likes this.
  14. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

thanks for that Dan. I will have a read

15. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

apologies and maybe i was being facetious (too much lockdown and England just losing to Scotland in the rugby !!):whipped:.
    I am sure that is what you are experiencing and it is interesting if only for background. Although I am sure you realise it is a small sample and demographically and geographically it may not tell us too much . I was hoping someone could say there is data now that says x% are refusing but maybe it is too early in the process
    I hope before long this can all be "over" to some extent

Nobel Prize and blufinz52 like this.
  16. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

well I'm glad it backs up my research on the uk take up rates although it worries me about the rest of the world

What I will say is that the uk is slighly ahead of the game with the vaccination programme and so have been putting out lots of information regarding benefits and lots of arguments refuting anti-vaxxers in the run-up to the roll-out.

hopefully when other countries get up to speed they will do the same and the figures will improve. If not i worry for us all!

Nobel Prize likes this.
  17. MRC Feb 6, 2021

Depressing reading about a whole country https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55900680

18. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 6, 2021

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2021

I actually think, based on the rate of vaccination here, that the take IS very good. In fact as i speak to other business owners in the industry their experience is similar to mine. About 80% of my team is getting the vaccine. Some others cannot take it because their departments are not released yet (only F&B and Janitorial) and a few say no, or "need to think more about it" One of the F&B teams in another venue reports 2/3 scheduled to vaccinate and 1/3 opting out or thinking about it.

There are a lot or conspiracies, doubts and distrust when it comes to Vaccines in the USA. Particularly when it comes to racial minorities and economic disenfranchised communities (of any race). There is a distrust based on historical factors.

There is also, prior to the pandemic, a specific movement against vaccinations (Small pox, etc) because of the claims of these vaccines contributing to autism and other developmental issues in children. These fringe movements resonate strongly with communities that are not bound to trust the government blindly, specially when the vaccine has been produced so fast.

Hell, I have a friend, who is wealthy, white and educated and just told us yesterday that the vaccine does not work and we just injected ourselves with a cocktail of Ebola and HIV.

But, to your point, I agree these are, fortunately, a minority for now. Not a small minority though.

Dan S and Gav1967 like this.
  20. cvalue13 Feb 6, 2021

I was attempting to apologize to you for my incorrect/confusing use ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.