V V (= Very Vintage) - what are your thoughts?

Dear fellow OFs

Those of you who collect really vintage (=antique) stuff will know the elusive early huge silver Bananas, about 50 mm long.
There is another "monster" sized model which is not tank style but tonneau with slightly curved back to embrace the wrist very comfortably.
The only pity with these large tonneaus is that they have very narrow swivel "bows" to accept open ended straps.
Straps width is only 12 mm so this looks a bit weird or should I say feminine when on the wrist, not so visible when you have it before you on the table...

Tonneu schmal.jpg

Some people use the "bund" straps to make the watch more wearable but I am not a fan of this solution.

tonneau AG  US.jpg

They don´t do justice to the elegant design of the case.

The "bows" or swivel lugs are detachable by removing the screws. I asked a jeweler friend of mine to manufacture some wider "bows" which can easily be swapped in order to accept wider straps. Of course I will store the original bows, so the modding is reversible.

Bogen.jpg

Now the watch can be worn on 18 mm straps which makes it look better with more balanced proportions
(at least IMHO).
I have attached an open ended old stock vintage strap which is from around the 30ies. This is at least 10 years too young but I don´t care because it will be impossible to find the period correct straps which will have been sewn to the lugs/bows originally.

Tonneu breit.jpg

What are your thoughts?

best
Erich

I think I should add wristshots to give you a better feeling about the huge size of this early bird:

Its a whopper
lug/bow to lug/bow meassured with the original small bows: shy of 54 mm !
case without bows: ca. 44 mm
width at the widest point (not counting the crown): 31.5 mm

Wristshot.jpg

wrist.jpg

enjoy
Edited:

The wider strap is a great compromise and makes it much more balanced. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, how would you classify "very vintage"? It seems watches from the 1950s are relatively common. Would pre-1950 or pre WWII fit into the antique category? These antiques have some eccentric and unusual shapes.

Antique now is stuff before the mid 1920s

Legal definition was something made before the industrial revolution in the 1830s. Aka handmade stuff not done with an industrialize process. This was then shifted to anything over 100 years. Vintage is stuff between 25 and 75 years. The rest is collectable. Or so my neighbor who ran the local antique mall told me.

Scarce and Rare are terms what have been most maligned and misused to the point where like your new super bright effervescent advertising words have little meaning.

I like the term very vintage. Which makes me think of aged wine or scotch.

Smart idea. Probably just because I’m too used to those narrow straps, I tend to prefer the original.
Outstanding condition for this watch! I’m jealous…

Beautiful watch!!!
I have seen it shown by you several times and I am wondering what mechanism it is with?
About the strap, if it was mine I'd wear it on a thread too!
I think it fits better with the flare though!

Outstanding choice for an antique watch! That early century design always reminded me of the Franck Muller watches which were probably inspired by these early tonneau shaped cases.

One of my favorite antique watches would be the elusive yet beatiful Movado Polyplan. 🥰 ( picture not mine )

9799b1010226-movado-polyplan.jpg

Looks great! But would it have been possible to keep the part that attaches to the watch the same width and just the loop for the strap wider?

That'd look good on a NATO strap.
i-was-just-kidding-ralphie.gif

That'd look good on a NATO strap.
i-was-just-kidding-ralphie.gif

If you utter the Word " ... issued to the Tzar .." next, you go straight to Jail without collecting the $ 20 ....

found this in my drawer (unpolished, uncleaned) :
sterling-silver bracelet , hand-made, maybe you can ask a silver-smith to make one

IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1566.JPG

I think I should add wristshots to give you a better feeling about the huge size of this early bird:

Its a whopper
lug/bow to lug/bow meassured with the original small bows: shy of 54 mm !
case without bows: ca. 44 mm
width at the widest point (not counting the crown): 31.5 mm

Wristshot.jpg

wrist.jpg

enjoy

The way the light brings out the two different sun ray patterns 🥰

Great idea with the strap as well!