Forums Latest Members
  1. berrychlossom Feb 10, 2021

I was just browsing and came across a curious watch at Bernardini Milano.
    https://www.bernardinimilano.com/collections/universal-geneve/products/univeral-geneve-compur
    ww0638_2048x.jpg ww0638_2_2048x.jpg

At first glance it looks like a nice compur but if you squint your eyes on the full resolution image you can see a faded much larger Uweco Geneve print on the dial.
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.31.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.32.18 PM.png
    I read a little bit about Uweco and correct me if I'm wrong, these were the more affordable offerings of Universal Geneve company with outsourced parts to keep costs down.

I don't see many of them, but I was wondering why someone would go through so much trouble to do something like this.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.31.44 PM.png
    Color corrected to highlight the atrocity

Kay995, why129, Robert M and 2 others like this.
  2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Feb 10, 2021

Not sure about the outsourced parts. Anyway I had a private label Heuer with the private label printed on top of the Heuer label. Guess this done at the dial factory.

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 10, 2021

Well spotted!

I also notice that the minute hand does not reach the outer scale.

It is my, admittedly limited, understanding that Uweco was a budget UG. The cases were often chrome-plated and the chronograph movements often had flat hairsprings instead of a Breguet overcoil.

4. krogerfoot Feb 10, 2021

Wow, good eye.

Foo2rama and Larry S like this.
  5. bgrisso Feb 10, 2021

I was also under the impression Uweco was the discount division of UG. However I don't know exactly where Berthoud Geneve fits in either, or the relationship between all three of them in terms of marketing, etc.

This dial is odd with the "double print". The obvious answer seems to be either a legit recycling of an Uweco dial at the factory level back in the day, or a more modern reprinting for increased value? To be clear, I'm not suggesting or accusing anyone of anything, it would require a bit of research, even then, might be hard to figure out.

Uweco dial would obviously normally be paired with Uweco mvmt and case, but that's not the situation here, so yah......I don't know.

berrychlossom and aap like this.
  6. Diabolik Feb 11, 2021

Quite right, it is a lot of trouble to go through.

There are a lot of weird things about that dial and watch in general. The bleed into registers, the funny "Y" looking "V" in geneve, the quality of the print is not that great, the dial that seems a little too big for case (or maybe crystal is incorrect). The movement also looks a little dubious. The bridge seems to have undergone far more oxidation than the other parts. All in all, there are too many question marks and bottom line, in my opinion is that it did not start life as a UG but was later fiddled with ...

upload_2021-2-11_7-42-38.png

I am not implying that there is intent to deceive or that any of the changes were carried out by a highly reputed dealer (he may by as much in the dark as everyone else), but i do find it weird that all of the issues were missed when the watch was evaluated. Based on the fact that Bernardino's pricing carries a big markup I would say that a name changes with bits to support it would not be that costly considering the hike in price tag that the was would instantly gain.

Edited Feb 11, 2021
  7. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Feb 11, 2021

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 13, 2021

We are all being nice. Not that I’d not make a bee line for his shop if I were in the hood.

9. berrychlossom Feb 15, 2021

Well it does come with "certificate of autenticity and legitimate provenance" so it should all be good ;)

Mark020 and Diabolik like this.
  10. Diabolik Feb 15, 2021

I have a certificate of authenticity for this diamond i dug up while holidaying at Butlins ...
    [​IMG]

berrychlossom likes this.
  11. Carlton-Browne Feb 16, 2021

Butlins - wow! Living the dream.