Forums Latest Members

USPS registered mail..slow?

1. Faz Aug 9, 2017

Hello all

Not the first time I use this service. I know it's very safe and somewhat slower. Anybody else here use this service on a regular basis? Is it in fact slower than priority mail?

Thanks in advance

Faz

2. redpcar Aug 9, 2017

Tons slower.
    Every stop, someone from management has to make sure everything is ok and check the boxes.
    International shipments can take weeks to a month.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 9, 2017

Yes, always slower, much slower.

4. redpcar Aug 9, 2017

I've had registered mail get to Australia in 10 days and have had it take 5 weeks to get to Canada.

5. WatchVaultNYC Aug 9, 2017

The less time the watch spends in transit, the lesser the chance it gets damaged or stolen. Personally I will only ship USPS if specifically requested, and with a gun pointed to my head

Rodmar, toddle321 and MaiLollo like this.
  6. river rat Aug 10, 2017

I use USPS since I live in a very small town in MT only one person works in the post office. You pick up your mail and use a PO box because they don't deliver to the house. We do have FedEx and UPS that do deliver to the door but more easy to go to the post office there insurance not cheap and if you ship out of the USA there is a limit on insurance so mite be under insured. And one thing I noticed if you live in a rural area USPS takes longer for deliveries to your house than if you live in a Big City it takes Priority 3 day delivery you get it in 3 days but in rural area 4 days in MT and we got to pick it up. It is safe never lost a package I sent a set of Seiko 6105 hands to a MWR member for free in Australia in a envelope thought it got lost the MWR member gave up on it and 4-5 months later he got them. Had a friend at another Forum who lived in Norway he wanted some thing on US EBay but the seller only shipped to a US address so he asked if he could send it to me and I send it to him in Norway I did. I slapped his address over my address and sent it priority mail and it was not a big box the price went up big time on overseas shipping I had to use a credit card I thought I had enough cash in the wallet did not. The MWR member was not happy with me when I told him what he owed me for shipping and I was not lying about the price USPS fees for overseas priority mail went up with insurance use to be cheaper a few years ago.

Edited Aug 10, 2017
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2017

USPS Registered mail is not designed to be fast. It is designed to be secure from theft (not not being lost).

Not only does it, "management has to make sure everything is ok and check the boxes.", but it is securely lock-up each step of its journey. So it travels and is processed slowly.

Priority mail has specific time goals to be meet, Registered does not.

There may be promises made when post abroad Registered, but once it reaches the USPS, it travels by their rules.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 10, 2017

The last Registered mail parcel I received from the US took 10 days to get here (to Canada). Sometimes it's a bit longer, but this is pretty typical in my experience.

9. panaitchrono Aug 23, 2017

As long you have a tracking number I feel that it's safe not to be lost..and of course the speed depends on how much money do you pay..I never heard of fast and cheap..:)