Forums Latest Members

US Postal Service Help/Advice

1. Jonathan40 Mar 2, 2019

Good day all, I am hoping for a little help from any USA members who reside near Easley, South Carolina
    I bought a watch off eBay (11k plus feedback seller) Defective on receipt. Agreed a return. Below is a print from the USPS tracking update page.
    The package has made it all the way to the local USPS office at:
    810 S PENDLETON ST
    EASLEY, SC 29640-9998

Then out for delivery to the returns address 4 miles away at 09-43!
    As you can see I’m still waiting for an update on delivery.
    Does anyone have a direct telephone number email link I could follow to enquire about package:
    RN527459261GB
    The synical side of me is saying that my seller has my money and the watch now but will report the package as stolen or not delivered. It is a signed for package but I have no previous experience with USPS.

Kind Regards in advance
    Jon

February 27, 2019, 11:43 pm
    Awaiting Delivery Scan
    The delivery status of your item has not been updated as of February 27, 2019, 11:43 pm. We apologize that it may arrive later than expected.
    February 27, 2019, 9:43 am
    Out for Delivery
    EASLEY, SC 29642
    February 27, 2019, 9:33 am
    Sorting Complete
    EASLEY, SC 29642
    February 27, 2019, 7:35 am
    Arrived at Unit
    EASLEY, SC 29640
    February 26, 2019, 5:57 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
    GREENVILLE SC DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    February 26, 2019
    In Transit to Next Facility
    February 25, 2019, 2:35 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    GREENVILLE SC DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    February 24, 2019, 9:11 am
    JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    February 24, 2019, 7:58 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    STAMFORD CT DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    February 23, 2019, 1:44 pm
    Inbound Out of Customs
    February 23, 2019, 12:23 pm
    STAMFORD CT DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Inbound Into Customs
    February 22, 2019, 5:43 pm
    Processed Through Facility
    ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 2, 2019

Did you insure the package? Is signature required?

3. PhysicsIsFun Mar 2, 2019

800-ASK-USPS® (800-275-8777)
    • Phone 864-859-9411
    They open in three hours.

Vercingetorix likes this.
  4. Evitzee Mar 2, 2019

Go to your own post office and enquire about it, their systems are more detailed than what you can see online.

WYO_Watch and MikiJ like this.
  5. Jonathan40 Mar 2, 2019

Thanks for the replies, I have set an alarm for opening time in SC.
    Yes it’s a tracked and signed item.

6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 2, 2019

IMHE with USPS shipping CONUS, I've found their Priority Mail to be the least efficient way to ship a watch.
    However USPS Registered Mail Insured is actually quicker and safer. It's also less expensive :)

When shipping out of country it's hard to beat FedEx 3 Day.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 2, 2019

If signature is required and no one is available to sign, they will take it back to the local post office and try to deliver each day until someone is there to receive it. If no one is there after a period of time (I think it is 30 days, but may be wrong on that), they will return the item to the sender.

Hopefully by now, @Jonathan40 has been able to reach the local post office in SC. Not sure if they will pick up the telephone on Saturday. Not all post offices are open and those that are may not be fully staffed.

Hope it all works out.
    gatorcpa

MikiJ likes this.
  8. WYO_Watch Mar 2, 2019

One other potential piece of positive info for you. I have had a return where the seller did not pick up the parcel. It was an expensive watch and was sent back through eBay returns. Seller went MIA and didn’t respond to messages or sign for the package. I called Ebay and they said to wait a period of time. After that, Ebay will consider the item returned at some point (think it’s maybe 3 or 5 business days).

9. mokofoko One sad panda Mar 2, 2019

OP, if you used a pre-generated label from ebay (I assume you filed a SNAD claim within 30 days), then your obligations were met when they logged an initial outbound scan. Whether it gets delivered or not, you'll be covered. If you paid for the shipping from your end... well I hope for your sake that it eventually gets updated as an attempted delivery, OR you purchased full insurance. Because unless you can prove there was at least a delivery attempt, it will not count as returned. Being "out for delivery" isn't good enough for ebay/paypal claims.

You actually see that happen a lot with carriers who completely neglect to scan packages upon delivery, and some people will abuse the system by claiming non-receipt of goods when they notice no delivery scan. It's unfortunate, but it's best to purchase insurance for the full-value to guard against carrier incompetence.

This has actually happened to me a few times, and in one case the tracking eventually updated (MORE than a week after delivery) to show the correct delivery details.

Edited Mar 2, 2019
  10. DiiQue I don't believe that is possible. Mar 2, 2019

I'm sure everything is fine. I know that sometimes there are delays at the "last mile/hop" and scanning doesn't get done right away. Like others have said, if you are you can contact the USPS customer hotline (see attached screenshot) or visit your local USPS store. Make sure you keep all correspondence and proof of mailing in case the package does go missing (it happens) and file a claim... But ask USPS to do a trace of the package.

Screenshot_20190302-185227_Chrome.jpg
  11. mokofoko One sad panda Mar 2, 2019

In your case, a delivery attempt must have clearly been logged for it to reach that point. Neglecting to sign/pickup a package counts as refused delivery, and that goes against ebay rules. Foolish ebay seller. 100% of the time, ebay will side with the buyer in your instance. With the OP in this case, no delivery attempt can be proven at this point. Until the tracking can clearly show that no one was available for delivery, the package was refused, or signed for, the OP is still on the hook (unless he shipped using an ebay return label).

WYO_Watch likes this.
  12. Jonathan40 Mar 2, 2019

All great stuff everyone an I appreciate all you time and responses.
    I didn’t get a pick up this morning when ringing so I will try to get an answer on Monday.
    I have insurance and it’s a few hundred dollars not thousands. It might well be administrative issues here and things will sort themselves out next week. Here in the UK is none is home a chit goes through your door and you have to take ID with you and the chit to collect from your local depot.

I have asked the guy to travel the 4 miles from his house to the post office and try to track it down, (as I attempted to find an answer to the initial fault at my end when the watch was delivered due to, I believe poor packaging)
    I always video the opening of any watch packaging I buy that needs posting to me.
    Problem is that he has my money so not much emphasis on him to assist.

13. Jonathan40 Mar 3, 2019

Good day everyone.
    Again, thanks for all your comments and advice.
    I’m happy to report it was actually delivered yesterday afternoon and I have my refund.
    Once again thanks for everything and the space to vent.

kkt, OWa and CJpickup57 like this.
  14. CJpickup57 Mar 3, 2019

Good to hear Jonathan!