Forums Latest Members

UPS lost/stolen Packages BEWARE - UPS is not reliable

1. clundp Apr 2, 2020

In the past 3 months, I have had 2 high value package lost/stolen from UPS. Both times UPS is unable and unwilling to locate my packages. Both were insured but it still doesn't replace the items and time that are lost. Both packages were well packed and shipped via 2nd day air from a UPS store. I spoked with my UPS driver and he thought both packages were probably stolen. He said "There are some shady people that work here at UPS, and packages go "missing" all the time." He told me he had even witnessed someone internally stealing packages and had to report them. Stealing UPS packages really is the perfect crime. UPS ships thousands of packages every hour and without UPS accountability there is absolutely no recourse. I am warning all my watch fam - DO NOT USE UPS!

2. Albe100 Apr 2, 2020

Sorry to hear. I hope nothing that was rare or hard to come by. I tend to use FedEx or DHL. I've never had good experiences with UPS.

clundp likes this.
  3. levkov Apr 2, 2020

Thanks for the heads up. UPS out, FedEx out (bad experience, once dispatched a Speedy without collecting the customs fee from the customer, so i ended up paying several 100's of Dollars), leaving me with DHL. Combined of course with ParcelPro insurance :)

4. clundp Apr 2, 2020

I completely agree! Fedex and DHL have been good in my experiences. I was always willing to give UPS the benefit of doubt. I never want to accuse anyone of stealing but after talking to my UPS driver it has opened my eyes! He heard my story and immediatley said "I think someone stole your packages." I said "Really? I thought that was pretty rare." And he replied "it happens more than you think". Be careful with UPS watchfam!

1st speedy likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 2, 2020

UPS left a $2000 camera on my porch. They didn’t even try to have me sign for it as they were supposed to. Good thing I was home. FedEx or DHL ... pickup at the distribution center is my way to go. Shipments ...Parcel Pro/Fedex.

M'Bob, clundp and kov like this.
  6. cchen Apr 2, 2020

I just had a good experience with UPS overnight. Terrible experience with ParcelPro.

7. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 2, 2020

Drivers ignore the signature or sign « COVID » themselves and drop the package, avoiding contact with recipients.

Perfect opportunity for bad scenarios to happen :(

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 2, 2020

I have to say that my best luck has been registered mail. Even that can get lost at times but eventually they get found and you receive the item... usually. But if they lose your item, USPS definitely has to make good on it.

Not sure about how it works for international, but if it makes it out of customs and gets lost, USPS is on the hook.

Tom

9. Just Livin Apr 2, 2020

Out of interest, could I ask how the packages were labelled. In terms of the description of goods.

I have thus far had positive results with using Royal Mail Tracked in UK. And FEDEX for International shipments. Touch wood, cross fingers, long may that continue.

Sorry to hear of your issues.

tyrantlizardrex and Nathan1967 like this.
  10. Muddlerminnow Apr 2, 2020

I'm surprised more people aren't using (for US shipments) Registered Mail--which must be signed for every time the package is handed off to another person within USPS. We use it a lot for high-end bamboo fly rods because the packages never touch a conveyor belt--they are only carried by hand. There are specific packaging requirements--every package seam needs to be sealed with brown paper packaging tape. However, it is very reliable, and insurance coverage up to $25K is available. The downside is a lack of international reach.

Deafboy and Dan S like this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 2, 2020

Remember that for US people, DHL does not operate domestically.

I like USPS Registered Mail the best, but Priority Mail is very good option when you are sending lower value items.
    gatorcpa

12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 2, 2020

As others have hinted at, there are no sweeping answers, as the quality of courier service varies greatly from country to country.

When I lived in the U.S., I far preferred FedEx to either UPS or DHL. I especially disliked the latter for international shipping, as, in stark contrast to FedEx, they were decidedly unhelpful with customs, etc.

In Portugal where I have now lived for several years, I find both DHL and UPS to be superior to FedEx. The local postal service is also very reliable.

In any case, the plural of anecdote is not data, as they say, and all carriers have their bad moments.

Als 27 likes this.
  13. Rochete Apr 2, 2020

Here in Spain, after many years of intensive professional and personal use of all main available carriers for both domestic and international shipping, the most reliable by far is the national post service (CORREOS) registered mail.

kov and Tony C. like this.
  14. abrod520 Apr 2, 2020

Unfortunately due to the situation, that's all they can do - in fact, it's what they're instructed to do (at least here in the US). Fortunately, I live in a building with a keycard-accessed package room / package locker system, though they sometimes leave packages outside it. Might be because the people who are usually at the lobby desk aren't there at the moment.

However if you're concerned about packages being stolen at the point of delivery - if still possible - sign up for an account on the courier's site and request the package be held for pickup at a distribution center or local store. I've done that for high-value items with FedEx, especially if I'm not going to be home that day etc.

To the OP - ParcelPro is a UPS company, so if this package was sent via UPS and insured by PP, they should be able to identify the vulnerabilities and add it to their list of compromised facilities. In situations where they know there are issues with a distribution point, they have you send your package to their own secure facility in the area, then deliver it themselves.

15. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 2, 2020

...except to deliver international packages. But not internally, that is true.

I have a Kickstarter project a year old because the seller is in France and their postal people routinely steal valuable international packages. Now, I don't know why these people don't ship registered, use FedEx, or mail from Germany or Belgium, but that's a whole different bag of horse manure.

Tom

16. Evitzee Apr 2, 2020

USPS Registered Mail can now be covered up to $50,000, so a good way to ship domestic USA. It can be a little slower than other methods because of the increased security while in transit, and the tracking is almost non-existent, but it is a very safe way to ship.

Edited Apr 2, 2020
    kkt, clundp and connieseamaster like this.
  17. roman9662 Apr 2, 2020

I stopped using UPS some years ago when they no longer would ship handguns to my gunsmith.
    I went to FedEx and didn't have an issue.
    What I have observed is handguns go through.their high value system. They literally had a locked cage at the shipping center. I suspect transfers are carefully documented. I should have asked what was the threshold for high value.
    Be Well everyone

gbesq likes this.
  18. 1st speedy Apr 2, 2020

Out of curiosity, what did you mark on the package? Out fear of my parcel getting stolen, I devalue it and NEVER indicate it's a watch inside.

19. clundp Apr 2, 2020

I put Jewelry and Watches so they could not deny my claim. I was worried if I put something else and it got lost they would not honor the insurance. I would actually recommend putting a higher value than what you think it's worth. I agree that USPS registered mail is the most secure for domestic shipments in the USA.

20. Evitzee Apr 2, 2020

Never good to put those descriptors on the package, it's a red flag to a bull. If you must put something on the package use 'Precision instrument' for a watch, and something like 'Decorative item' for jewelry.

Walrus likes this.