Forums Latest Members

Updated Speedmaster Professional Non-LE

1. GoBlueJedi Apr 18, 2019

There has be a lot of speculation, and some quasi-verified leaks via ADs and OBs, about the impending Apollo XI 50th Anniversary Speedmaster Professional, but has anyone heard anything quasi-official about any updates to the standard/non-LE version? Considering the Swatch Group announcement that all future mechanical watches for all brands will feature anti-magnetic balance springs and the debut of the 3861 movement, new bracelet design, etc on the 50th Anniversary, I've been hoping for some of these features to be incorporated into the standard version--and hopefully, announced at the event in May.

Just seeing if anyone has heard anything beyond rumors or random mockups or whatever.

robinhook and david5807 like this.
  2. Evitzee Apr 18, 2019

I dont think you'll hear anything this year, focus is on the anniversary, they don't want to muddle things up. Maybe late this year or next year.

tyrantlizardrex and Foo2rama like this.
  3. speedyproftw Apr 20, 2019

I expect Omega will transition to only producing 3861 Speedmasters. It would make sense since they now offer a 5 year warranty on all of their watches, so the co-axial movement would make that more economical for them.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. Matty1 Apr 20, 2019

Interesting. I’m guessing another price hike too!

5. GoBlueJedi Apr 23, 2019

Man, with all the speculation around the anniversary, I really thought there would be more interest in an updated standard edition. Maybe it's just me.

6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 23, 2019

great isn't it... more reasons to stick to our +25 years old vintage pieces ;)

7. GoBlueJedi Apr 23, 2019

Yeah, but unfortunately, I don't have one of those. I've been eyeing the current model for my first one. But after the news about the anti-magnetic balance springs--and especially now, after the 3861 announcement--I've been hoping for a NASA-certified Master Chronometer version.
    Thus far, the only real speculation I've heard has been over the LE Anniversary models. Seemed quasi-realistic to me that Omega would take the opportunity to update the non-LE models as well. I just haven't heard anything specific or reliable. And evidently nobody else has either.

8. GoBlueJedi May 6, 2019

9. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

I know everyone is currently sifting through all the news and photos of the steel 50th Anniversary Speedmaster, but has anyone seen anything at all about updates to the standard/non-LE version? Tweaked dial or bezel, new bracelet or movement? I know there were some vague speculation that Omega might do something to the regular version, but I haven't been able to track anything down yet.

10. Matty1 May 17, 2019

Nothing as yet

11. c2500 May 17, 2019

I would buy an updated Speedy with 3861 in a heartbeat.

12. pianomankd May 17, 2019

This.

13. BenjaminT May 17, 2019

Why?
    What's the updated movement gonna give you?

I know what it's gonne give Omega though:
    Higher margin.
    Service lock in.
    Deprecation of the SL Moonwatch population.

Edited May 17, 2019
    stuart70, jacobw2460, S.H. and 4 others like this.
  14. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

I'd do one of it's NASA-certified. It'd be amazing to get that AND the anti-magnetic properties and accuracy of a Master Chronometer co-axial.

15. Matty1 May 17, 2019

SL? What does that mean?

16. Eve May 17, 2019

Could you please explain, how a co-axial movement would make it more economical for them?

Edited May 17, 2019
    Foo2rama likes this.
  17. Kostaroska May 17, 2019

I did a post regarding my (now) 5 week old Speedmaster Professional 2 weeks ago, mentioning it's otherworldly accuracy. The AD set the time and when i got into my car (wore it immediately) i've checked my iPhone and noticed that he didn't set the watch exactly to the second and it was about 30-40 seconds ahead of my phone (it didn't bother me cause i knew that i will have to set it up again given it's accuracy not being the strongest). Now, 5 weeks later (35 days to be exact) the watch is 1 minute ahead. This means that it lost 0.85 seconds a day which is unbelievable for me. I knew that accuracy won't be the strong point of the watch but until now it's awesome. The thing is though and i don't know exactly when it lost these 30 seconds or so that for the past 2 weeks i monitor the watch at least 3 times a day and it's exactly 1 minute ahead. Without changing at all. For at least 2 weeks it hasn't lost anything.

I'm saying this because i was debating of waiting an updated base model with 3861 but i just couldn't. So at least for now this particular watch's accuracy is rivaling the best of them. To my eyes, this makes it even more special to me and shows me that the 1861 can be extremely accurate if it wants to be (cause i'm not doing anything special to it - just wear it all day, wind it in the morning and let it rest crown down at night.)

18. BenjaminT May 17, 2019

Superluminova

19. Matty1 May 17, 2019

I don’t get your point then re Depreciation of the SL moonwatch population.

20. artek May 17, 2019

Keep the speedy the way it is!

WatchShopping likes this.