Forums Latest Members

Update: Munich fitting 1171 advice

1. simonscoffin Jan 8, 2020

Hi all and Happy New Year,

I am hoping a member can point me in the right direction of a craftsman in the Munich area.

I purchased a modern 1171/633 in London, didn't have the Speedy with me so couldn't ask them to fit it. Got it home and I have tried, but I don't have the skills/tools to fit it myself. So I am looking for someone reasonably local that can.

There is an Omega Boutique in Munich, however the last time I went in they weren't particularly helpful. Would this be the simplest solution?

Best.

2. weimi1 Jan 8, 2020

Das wäre die einfachste Lösung:thumbsup:

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2020

If you are referring to the end links being slightly large, the only tool required is a file. Then all you need is a spring bar tool to install...

Pretty easy stuff.

4. mr_yossarian Jan 8, 2020

Fitting it to the watch or making it fit your wrist? Both can be easily done. Go to Wempe on Maximilianstrasse if Omega was too hostile :)

5. simonscoffin Sep 12, 2020

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, seemed easier than creating a new one.

As Autumn is upon us I thought I would take the chance to swap from a leather strap to a 1171 bracelet I purchased at the start year on my Speedy 311.33.42.30.01.001.

Small bit of background. I did a lot of research in the forum as well as various other sources (WUS, Omega Addict and so on), to educate myself on the various differences between the 1171.

As I understood, I don’t have the current generation (020ST1171633), but the generation before. The reason being;

• Engraved logo (not lasered)
    • 1171/1 on the underside of the clasp
    • 32 in a circle?

The bracelet was new and unused, came with all the protective plastic, the blue plastic was removed in-store today and I have shall put it back on.

Today I went to the Omega boutique in Munich to ask them to fit the bracelet, as I am aware of the need for a little fettling due to the tolerance in the end links (which are engraved 633) and, well it didn’t go to plan.

Now, a small disclaimer: “Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut”, so this may be a language issue. I don’t have a bad word to say about the folk in the store, all very helpful, took very good care of my watch, however, when it came to the fitting they looked at the bracelet like they had never seen one before.

I tried to explain about my research, reference number, and various other pieces of information I had picked up, as I say this may have been lost in translation. At the end of the conversation, I was told I would need to come back when their watch repair centre was staffed, as they were currently on training, and to give them a call to arrange an appointment.

I have attached pictures of the watch, bracelet, clasp and end links, in the hope of getting confirmation that I have everything I need and it was simply a matter of the right person not being in the store at the time. Correct?

Sorry for waffling on, any help much appreciated.

OM1.jpg OM2.jpg OM3.jpg OM4.jpg
    yande likes this.
  6. SkunkPrince Sep 12, 2020

You have all you need. The end links might not have fitted exactly right, so the watchmaker has to file them a bit.

simonscoffin likes this.
  7. munichblue Sep 15, 2020

Go again and ask for an appointment with Mr. Schinke. He’s their certified watchmaker and he sold and fitted this combination to my Speedy. He also said it’s a bit tricky but he can do it.

simonscoffin likes this.
  8. gostang9 Sep 15, 2020

You have everything you need there for a competent person to install that bracelet.

Sounds like they are happy to set up an appointment and have their competent person do the work. :thumbsup:

simonscoffin likes this.
  9. simonscoffin Sep 16, 2020

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can have a few moments of his time.