Forums Latest Members

*UPDATE* And you ask why sending a watch to Omega for service is a problem?

1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 17, 2015

Good idea. I'll run that by my rep.

2. cfw Dec 17, 2015

Hope u gave them hell, thats unacceptable

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 17, 2015

reading this it strikes me the watch may not have been handled by Bienne - as it should have been.

I wonder if you can ask them for a written report of where it went, and the names of the technicians who worked on it.

I also agree that legal recourse will be what the Swiss HQ will be frightened of, but engaging a lawyer now might not be the best way forward.

Rather gather all evidence. Be prepared and calm, and negotiate with a cool head. Remain steady and make it known that this is an emotional issue, one that you will not let go until they (Omega) have made it right.

It might take several meetings, (big stupid companies work like this) and eventually you will find a bright, helpful person who recognises the value in seeing you happy, as well as the disaster it would be if you were not - AND the power to do something.

Be patient, but not complacent, and you will I am sure end up happy.

ossfm, Tritium, fskywalker and 3 others like this.
  4. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Dec 17, 2015

My advice to you guys would be: (1) include written instructions that specify they are not to replace the hands or dial or polish the case; (2) get a written quote and correct description of work from them; (3) take before and after photos. Omega is a classic deep pocket, I'd like my client's odds if I went after them. The trouble is, Omega's lawyers will soon draft language to protect them from such claims, and you won't be able to get the authentic parts anywhere else. Good luck when that happens.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 17, 2015

Thank you all for you're help and recommendations. I would prefer to exhaust all options prior to playing the legal card. I'm sure, at some point, they will see the error of their ways or they will meet my ire, directly.

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 17, 2015

Don't mess with Texas. :D Give 'em hell.

ossfm and toddle321 like this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 17, 2015

Hey Rob, haven't professional associations of independent watchmakers tried to get serious legal opinions about the legality of anti competitive effects? It seems really odd with stringent competition laws in Europe and the US that they can stiffle competition on the provision of independent services in such a way. I'm quite curious.

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 17, 2015

There may be some life left in the legal process - see http://roschier.com/sites/default/files/newsletters/ac3d420a9ed9dc720961092e0c32ffac.html#article2 or has the EC dismissed this as well?

9. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 18, 2015

Hi,

Yes they have, on more than one occassion and so far the results are always in favor of the Swiss. The most recent attempt is by the British Clock and Watchmakers Guild, through what they are calling the "Industry Action Fund".

It's not over...yet...but with the end of December only a few weeks away, for now, the supply is drying up.

Rob

10. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 18, 2015

No not at all. Sorry for that

ConElPueblo and Geo! like this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 18, 2015

Really sad and disgusting, but at least good to know they tried. Professionals really need to keep stats and facts on the market effects if they want to be able to make their case again.

12. cfw Dec 18, 2015

No u dont it always leaves a bad taste, u catch more bees with honey. Plus do u really want to get involved with in a legal spat with the Swatch group? Its time consuming and costly, rather reason with them. Fyi never "attack" the brand just that dealer and take it to the top if u must.

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 21, 2015

The saga continues. This is the email my OB rep got from US service center:

"My holiday season has been QUITE busy to say the least, I hope yours is going well! I apologize for any inconveniences you’ve encountered with the timepiece. I’m glad to hear they will be rectifying the situation with the hands for you. Now, as far as the finish goes, our HQ in CH absolutely will not refinish the timepiece to anything other than what it was the day it left the factory. They would consider this customization, and as you know we do not customize our timepieces. I think the thing here is like you said, he’s not used to the finish being so fresh so he may not be used to it being such a high gloss. However, upon receipt in CH our HQ evaluates the watch entirely inside and out, and based upon not only the reference numbers but the serial number AND the extract of records we did for Mr. Fauser (contrary to any forum members thoughts), they have found that this is the factory setting for the timepiece. I suppose the only way he could get it to shine less, would be to wear the timepiece and let the effects of standard wear and tear take their toll. Again, I apologize for any inconveniences that this has caused you and your staff, and if you wish to relay our information for Mr. Fauser to contact us that would be fine. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns what-so-ever, as I’d be more than happy to assist. I hope all of this information helps! Thank you and have a wonderful day, and a most merry Christmas if I don’t hear from you!"

Obviously, Omega USA feels that those of you who said the case is not properly finished, don't know what the hell you're talking about. I noticed that he alludes to the subdial hands but never really addresses that. Especially since the watch was evaluated, "inside and out, and based upon not only the reference numbers but the serial number AND the extract of records". I'm wondering what the explanation for that is?

14. Geo! Dec 21, 2015

It's not my watch, and my blood is starting to boil. It's going to be a long haul, and head and brick wall spring to mind.

OMGRLX and arkstfan like this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 21, 2015

Already sprung.

16. italy1861 Dec 21, 2015

Is there any way to bypass Omega USA and get the watch evaluated by Biene directly?

17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 21, 2015

That's supposedly where it's headed.

18. fskywalker Dec 21, 2015

Sorry to hear this! Not in every case Omega replaces hands on service, as my 8500 AT was recently serviced on warranty and they did not replace the hands (they were not included in the small bag with other parts replaced).

19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 21, 2015

Replacing the hands isn't that big a deal as long as they replace them with correct hands. They didn't manage to get that correct, at all.

20. fskywalker Dec 21, 2015

True!

Did you check the paperwork they gave you when you drop the watch for service? It might have terms & conditions on vintage repair jobs.