Forums Latest Members
  1. DaveCollins Oct 12, 2019

murph likes this.
  2. DaveCollins Oct 12, 2019

3. DaveCollins Oct 12, 2019

4. Screwbacks Oct 12, 2019

you can post all the pictures in one post rather than in multiple single picture post.

Edited Oct 12, 2019
    chronos and Dan S like this.
  5. Dan S Oct 12, 2019

He will get to 200 faster this way.

chronos, BatDad, w154 and 7 others like this.
  6. CPRwatch Oct 12, 2019

ConElPueblo and cristos71 like this.
  7. MCC Oct 12, 2019

Now that watch really is in good condition. Not my personal style but a very nice example all the same.

Dan S and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. DaveCollins Oct 12, 2019

The referenced thread perpetuates falsehoods concerning this watch. Let me quote from this thread.

"collectors rarely hang on to this watch and tend to flip it because of the extreme size and weight."

Extreme size? Since when was 42mm considered to be extreme size. These sorts of exaggerations do a disservice to the watch community. The exaggerations aside, I respect the work that Andy has done and he certainly has contributed more than I ever will. I think Chuck Maddox started the nonscense about this watch

"OK, if there is one word to describe the Speedmaster 125 it is Massive. Both in physical size and in weight the Speedmaster 125 is a big watch anyway you look at it."

Since Chuck was well respected, the false hoods started and took on a life of their own and have continued to this day.

As I've said earlier, this watch is roughly the size of my Fortis Chronograph. Neither watch is massive. Neither watch is extreme. Both watches are at the larger end of the spectrum for weight and at the large-normal for physical size. On my wrist, the Omega 125 is quite comfortable. In my opinion, it is more comfortable than my Rolex Sea Dweller was (at 42mm). I think part of the reason for this is the Omega's brilliant bracelet. It has tight tolerances and so it holds the watch stead on my wrist. The total weight of the watch is of no issue to me.

I don't mean to be critical of some of the important people in the watch community. But I think someone needs to stand up and say enough with the ridiculous exaggerations. Lets be more realistic and fair to what I think is a brilliant watch from the past.

9. JwRosenthal Oct 12, 2019

Regarding weight and size- don’t forget that this watch came out at a time when 36mm was the norm. The Speedmaster was always huge in comparison to others of it’s time and this one looks to be on steroids compared to the SMP- so a little perspective is needed. Of course in relation to modern day behemoths, this thing is probably down right dainty.

connieseamaster and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. M'Bob Oct 12, 2019

It's a great watch, and a superb example. And, as mentioned so many times in the past, way under-appreciated. Thanks for posting.

11. DaveCollins Oct 12, 2019

Excellent points.

12. M'Bob Oct 12, 2019

I don't happen to agree with Chuck on his perception of the size issue, but this was just his opinion, which he was entitled to. As are you. But let's not act like there is a factual, quantifiable issue here. It's all just subjectivity.

Edited Oct 12, 2019
    cristos71, Archer and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. Dan S Oct 13, 2019

Took the words out of my mouth.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 13, 2019

Just by looking at these three shots. 8CACE766-0A99-472E-951A-C517E3C11549.jpeg B1692908-EA05-4FB0-8D75-D19BB7B85EED.jpeg 35B30F06-43B7-4C4B-B48A-C8F90950118A.jpeg

It’s a big chunky watch.
    No offence to you or anyone that owns one.
    8-9 out of 10 here would call it a big watch. I have seen them and tried one on and have a 8 inch wrist.
    I have a 1000m diver that is as thick But not as squared
    8CFB8349-8DD5-4384-ADBA-C2FEBD80454D.jpeg
    7B870374-D0C5-43F8-B041-02C8B89F1B35.jpeg

Also it is part of the Speedmaster range and to the normal Speedmaster it is massive.
    Each to their own and if you like it great to you, but no one is trying to discredit the watch just telling it how it is to them. It’s their opinion ;)

vinny, CPRwatch and KingCrouchy like this.
  15. DaveCollins Oct 13, 2019

I appreciate the thoughtful replies and the open mindedness of the postings. I knew I was setting myself up for abuse by making controversial comments concerning other respected individuals. That did not happen, but instead I am seeing mature responses. So far I am liking this site and will continue hanging around.

As far as the watch is concerned, I've said what I felt was the responsible thing to say based on my feelings. At this point, I'll just leave it alone. I don't have anything to prove and don't feel the need to convince others anything. I am enjoying all of my watches, including the Omega 125. Its a great hobby and it adds a wonderful dimension to my life.

Thanks for all the replies.

STANDY and michael22 like this.
  16. JwRosenthal Oct 13, 2019

You’ll find the group here is very democratic and questioning theories or opinions is not only appreciated but also encouraged as long as it’s done in a mature and respectful way. Everyone here loves watches, not just Omega’s but all watches be it vintage bargains pieces or rare LE’s...many here even love Rolex’s :eek:

Yak1 and Sidnos like this.
  17. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2019

HI @DaveCollins

Great 125 !!! and Rick is an old friend .... and a great guy , watchmaker , audiophile etc......

If you stop by please tell him I say hi !!!!.....

He as worked on many many of my watches over the last almost 20 years....

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

18. DaveCollins Oct 13, 2019

Thanks Bill. I have 17 watches, of which 60% are 1950s. Rick has been fantastic (Pieces of Time) and I've purchased around half of my watches from him. Great guy, great watch maker, and a friend.

19. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2019

Hi @DaveCollins

Chuck was a close personal friend of mine and I worked with him on many many different projects over the years...

We of course talked about the 125 .... heck I had extra bracelet and case parts that he wanted as backups .... We both thought it was odd of the 2000 "limited edition " number that was published by Omega . I even had a conversation with John Deithem and he also went along with the number.. This was before AJTT or even Omega Saga was even published.

The watch is massive .. it was a door jam knocker/ magnet ! . I have head many many stories of NOS cases that met their match walking with a doorway and the wearer swinging his arm and bang! I have seen more then my share of dinged up 12 oclock and 6 oclock curved edges. The original bracelet... like the one on your watch is also stunning piece of machining... the achilles heel of this bracelet are the double spring bar interconnects which were originally made of plated brass... the platting ould wear and the brass would then fail and the bracelet would just fall apart one link at a time.... Omega did re engineer the bracelet and made stainless steel interconnects between each link.... and dealers and watch makers were able to order then but was time consuming to rebuild and most instead offered the " replacement" bracelet which would look the same from the front but did not have the thickness to balance out the watchhead properly.... I dont remember the ref off the top of my head...

I also have a 8 inch wrist and a 37.5 sleeve length.... and this was always a way for me to show size differential between a Speedy , 125, 600m and Albatross.... I have since sold the 125 ( I had two ... just some them cause people offered me fair coin for them ) and the Albatross ( Chuck wanted that one so I let it go...).

4 wrist shot.JPG

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

vinny, kelev_ra, Yak1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2019

Hi @JwRosenthal

I could not have stated it any better myself.....

And that is why Omega forums is special to me..... I think you hit the nail on the head.

Good Hunting...

Bill