Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Jan 19, 2019

Well, another hummongous failure ...

After a long restoration on this beautiful UG "chiocolato" it has sat in my wife's jewelery box since christmas! She has not worn it once. She says that she would rather wear new quartz which is shinny, studded with fake stones and has with lots of character? I dont get it, i give up ...

DSCN1306.JPG DSCN1307.JPG

upload_2019-1-19_12-47-17.png

billving, CTS-V, McKinley and 3 others like this.
  2. ryanbk Jan 19, 2019

Nice present... And what women want can indeed be a mystery at times.
    But maybe if you put it on a strap?

Edited Jan 19, 2019
  3. gop76 Jan 19, 2019

I have the same problem with this beautiful Longines:
    IMG_1049.JPG

levkov, Theluglife, McKinley and 2 others like this.
  4. WYO_Watch Jan 19, 2019

I think there is a saying about bringing a horse to water but not being able to make it drink. :coffee: Not calling your wife a horse... but I believe it applies.

Killer UG, my wife would probabaly let it sit and rock a fit bit. I’ve bought her a watch 5 birthdays in a row, and the Fitbit is what stuck.

5. ac106 Jan 19, 2019

While watch nerds appreciate patina the average person looks at that watch and thinks it’s a total wreck. I can certainly understand why a non-WIS woman would not want to wear it

Om3ga321, rcs914, BenBagbag and 3 others like this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 19, 2019

Sorry, you must buy the watch for her, not you. ::facepalm2::

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 19, 2019

Dean ... first of all... never buy jewlery for your wife. Go with her and pay for it. Not even if you put sweat equity into it. Not her idea. Now having said that, put a strap on it in a color she likes and leave it in the box. You might be surprised. Bought a Ruby in Thailand, got yelled at, and she made a ring with it a few years back, moon stones, got yelled at, now she wears them and can’t remember yelling at me. The Opal in gold setting I bought in Sydney, got yelled at ..well we need to have a jeweler redo that one, Baltic Amber ... got yelled at, then wore and our maid stole em. You never know...she grudgingly wears the Ebel my watchmaker sold me.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 19, 2019

And OMFG she just told me she loves her Ebel! Unsolicited!

merchandiser, levkov, Woops and 4 others like this.
  9. gop76 Jan 19, 2019

Yes, you're right but i couldn't resist...

P.S. - the watch looks much better on hand

jsflog likes this.
  10. McKinley Jan 19, 2019

Welcome to my world. This does eat at me too. Offered to buy her a beautiful ladies model UG Polerouter......turned her nose up and continues to wear a 90's quartz Movado museum watch. I haven't given up, but I should. Sometimes I think this is why we all spend so much time on this site.....we are lonely, for the most part middle aged guys, who just want someone to share our hobby with. You are all my surrogate wife. LOL

McK

rcs914, B.Frost, Vitezi and 4 others like this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 19, 2019

While my wife doesn’t get my watch and quality tunes obsessions, she is a rabid catamaran sailor (which makes me the envy of the guys on the beach who’s wives don’t understand that obsession either). So there’s that.

merchandiser, sdre, Mark020 and 2 others like this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 19, 2019

Did she used to yell at you about that too? ::stirthepot::

jumpingsecond likes this.
  13. gdupree Jan 19, 2019

Women like weird stuff. My wife appreciates mechanical watches, but in a very utilitarian way.

For years she’s not been interested in any of my vintage watches because she insists they must be water proof so she didn’t have to worry about it while washing her hands, but likes mechanical because they don’t “tick” so loudly like a 1 beat per sec quartz... all until one day I decided to shorten the bracelet of my vintage black dial Zodiac GMT for her, of all watches. When she realized she could tell the local time of her brother living in Hawaii, that hooked her. She now confesses that she really likes bracelets more than straps.

The point is, sometimes they just like very different stuff than we do. You just have work at finding out what she likes and, like others said, buy for her and not for you. Trust me I’ve been guilty of it too. I’m dying for her to wear one of my Speedmasters, but it’s just not happening...

Larry S likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 19, 2019

Actually no...when we met on Cape Cod ... my Hobie and a bag of good weed were invaluable. :D

15. corn18 Jan 19, 2019

My wife wouldn't like vintage either. But she does like the Rolex and JLC I got her. I bought both of them used at a great price so there's that.

[​IMG]

IMG_2491.JPG
  16. Oku Jan 19, 2019

I cannot complain...
    ws.jpeg

17. Canuck Jan 19, 2019

I share your woes. My wife refuses to wear her 1920s vintage, 14-karat white gold, diamond set Gruen. I’d wear it, but I’m afraid i’d Be seen as a Nancy boy.:(

EE04E3F6-0FBD-4E89-B4FD-609BEC1B2F04.jpeg

jumpingsecond, Larry S and McKinley like this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2019

:rolleyes::D:D:rolleyes::D:D:rolleyes:

Ha! I gave up a long time ago :thumbsup: Seiko quartz all the way.

merchandiser, BlackTalon and Larry S like this.
  19. bgrisso Jan 19, 2019

very nice, what's the case size on this UG ? I have given a bunch of watches to my gf, she likes the Rolex Exp the best I think, but appreciates the vintage ones as well, just doesn't wear as often. I think she has maybe 5 watches, and I realized it was time to stop adding to the pile...

20. corn18 Jan 19, 2019

Buy her stuff that you can wear. I wear my wife’s reverso on occasion. Maybe I should get her speedy.