Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2016

arkstfan and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  2. proximal Mar 11, 2016

Is this where we paste the entire argument about the Omega ceramic cases?

3. trama Mar 11, 2016

I appreciate any innovative effort by anyone in the watch industry. I am amazed anybody at all is playing with new materials and design . Pretty much. As long as it doesn't use elephant ivory or rhino horn, et cetera.
    I'll just vote with my $.

4. GregH Mar 11, 2016

arkstfan and Archer like this.
  5. Mr Bing Mar 11, 2016

I think it was Romain Jerome who made a watch using parts from the Titanic. Not sure if these parts were used on the case or dial though.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 11, 2016

It's a wide open field, but, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

What's next, meteorite dials? :rolleyes:

patrick1616 and al128 like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2016

Its certainly an interesting idea, as a teenager I spent a lot of time sailing and some of the boats were cement hull, people used to think I was taking the piss when I told them it was a boat made from concrete but it was actually pretty practical, especially as whenever you damaged it the repair cost was a fraction of wood, alloy of fibreglass.

Kind of a cool look too, but still a novelty more than a practical alternative I'd imagine.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2016

I hope not, but if you are intent on going there, I can't stop you...

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 11, 2016

Cemento :D:D

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2016

GregH likes this.
  11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 11, 2016

just because you do something differently, does not mean its better ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and yes, it seems that bikes and mechanical watches are - after 100+ years - pretty much maxed out. For watches it seems to be ss/titanium

so, while I applaud innovation, I quite often get the vibe of "HEY, WE HAVE A SOLUTION - WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?" - so quite often those "innovations" are more a marketing-differentiator than a technical necessity that needs to be addressed. Just look at all the case materials Hublot is using ... with so many different ones, shouldnt there be one superior? ... and if yes, why have the sub-optimal ones ...:whistling:

(partly also applies to omegas co-axial escapement).

cheers,
    Al

arkstfan likes this.
  12. lillatroll Mar 11, 2016

I think they both look nicer than I was expecting them to. Not sure I would buy them. I think they might appeal to women more than men. When I bought my first expensive watch, a Tag F1. I remember the tissot wooden watches and thinking they were quite nice but not for a 16 year old boy.

13. Benolio Mar 12, 2016

arkstfan likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2016

What do you reckon an opal case will set you back?

Dress sized, not Panerai sized :)

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2016

Too much! :)

When in the opal mining regions, you do see cheap watches with opal dials in some of the shops. Very cheap quartz watches of course. I have thought about trying to use opal in some manner on a dial of a watch, but thickness is an issue. To use a stone set on the dial, you would need to make sure all the hands clear it - long posts on the movement and possibly clearance issues under the crystal as a result. To make a dial out of opal it would have to be cut so thin it would be super fragile. Not just to handle and assemble, but also for removing replacing hands for service. For example you have to be very careful removing hands from an MOP dial - slightest pressure on the dial and it will crack.

Giff2577 likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2016

I would love to know what they use for the cement case - do they add some sort of epoxy to the mix to give it strength? The idea is not so surprising considering people have used concrete for kitchen countertops - that style seems to be fading now though after being quite popular for a number of years.

If you have ever seen a well done terrazzo floor, they can be quite beautiful. Place I used to work had them in some of the washrooms - in parts of the building build in the 1940's. Decades later they still looked great.

17. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Mar 12, 2016

I would think they would at least need to include an additive to prevent moisture from permeating the cement.

Archer likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 12, 2016

Wonder if the cement would have a couple of italian blokes setting up the rio bar the day before.:whistling:

19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 12, 2016

i assume the same is true for meteorite-dials ... do you have any experience or thoughts on that?

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 12, 2016

yeah, i think its def. some kind of "engeneering cement" (vs. regular cement) .... just like the "engeneering ceramics" as opposed to the ceramics of your dinner plate ;-) ...