Unusual 6B/159

IMG_7418.jpeg IMG_7423.jpeg IMG_7421.jpeg IMG_7419.jpeg
My mother died a while ago and I’ve been sorting through her belongings. I’ve just found her father’s watch. I’ve had a good search online and although there are lots of Omega 6B/159 models for sale on eBay and vintage watch websites, I can’t find this exact one anywhere. It’s got a 24-hour dial and (I think) brass hands. I’m told that the mark on the back indicates it was a military-issue watch. At the bottom it says something like “Import UK Suisse”, but the text is a bit worn so I can’t tell exactly. Anyway, made in Switzerland by the look of it. Is anyone able to tell me when it would have been manufactured and its approximate value, please? Just out of curiosity — it’s a lovely reminder of my grandfather and I would never sell it. Many thanks in advance for any information.

It is a lovely watch. But you're right that it does not look like a typical 6B/159 example. My understanding is that "6B/159" refers to a particular Ministry of War / Ministry of Supply procurement standard which specifies many aspects of the pilot/navigator watch, including dial (white) and indices (black Arabic). The example you have would not appear to meet those standards. In addition, the caseback engraving would normally include an issue number as well as the pheon and specification number. The actual case, especially the shape of the lugs, on your watch does not at all match the normal 6B/159 watches either. Finally, the case of your watch appears to be stainless steel, while 6B/159 watches after 1943 (when the pheon was added) would have been made from a special alloy.

Many 6B/159 watches left over from WW2 were reissued by the RAF in the mid 1950s, often recased in a larger case and with a repainted dial, but your example doesn't match those either. If the only anomalies were the dial and hands, I would wonder if your grandfather had simply had those replaced at some point after the war. Perhaps he wanted a watch with a less "martial" appearance. Or perhaps the original dial and hands had deteriorated. The 30T2-SC movement that Omega used for 6B/159 watches was common, so it would have been fairly easy to locate a compatible dial and handset.

Given the other discrepancies, however, it seems more likely that the 6B/159 and the pheon were simply added to the watch by an owner. In which case you may have a perfectly fine Omega watch from that era, but it is not an authentic 6B/159 watch.
Edited:

Like 2
The watch was manufactured in Switzerland. Probably at some time during WW2.
Many 6B/159s were sold off in huge lots to watch dealers after WW2.
It's possible that this was an "un-issued" unit and a dealer made it more civilianised by changing the dial and hands.
The dial is very similar to the one used on the "US Army" Omega 2179 which used the same movement (30T2).

Like 2
IMO this watch is a ref. CK 2242 also called "Techron" which was delivered to the RCAF with black luminous dial.
But it was also sold in the open civilian market with both dial types black and silvered. Characteristics are the additional small 13 - 24 numbers in an inner circle plus an uncommon 18 jewel movement.
You should open it up (or let a watchmaker do it if you are anxious to damage the case) and show the movement and inner case back with large clear photos. Then I will be able to confirm my suspicion...

Like 3
You should open it up.

The Arabic indices don't appear to show significant deterioration, so I suspect they're not luminous. If they were luminous, however, I believe the paint would necessarily contain Radium. In that case, you may not want to open the case without taking precautions. (Well-ventilated area, use gloves, wear a mask, etc.) Of course, everyone is definitely entitled to their own personal risk tolerance.

Like 1
Thank you all for such detailed and informative responses. Today my dad took the watch to a jeweller he knows, to take an initial look at it, and they opened it up and found the following numbers (I’m afraid they didn’t take any photographs):

Case No 10085747
Movement No 9268497

He added that “there were various other numbers/letters which likely refer to watchmakers who will have worked on it at various times”:

9409/R48E
ED663/U
M7/86
FU59? (not very clear)
6461/4
T1252

Next I’m planning to take it to a horologist near me (https://www.michlmayr.com/) to see if they can value and repair it.

For now, I’d be fascinated to know what any of you can deduce from any of the above information. Thanks again.

First of all, may your mother sleep peacefully. As for your watch, it is really a very nice piece of history. It is difficult to estimate its value, but if there is no problem in good maintenance and operation, it is sure to be 700+, at least for me.