Forums Latest Members

Unsure of age and value of watch... can anyone help

1. sambo99lauren Jan 12, 2017

Hi, I recently was given this Omega by an elderly relative and would like to know how old this watch is and its approximate value, I have no intention in selling but was wondering if it was worth replacing the strap on it? Thanks in anticipation

162.PNG
  2. cwindham Jan 12, 2017

If it was given to you by an older relative, cherish it and replace the strap. Value should have nothing to do with upkeep. A strap might be 40$. Value of pocket watch converted to wristwatch is not my forte

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 12, 2017

Hi there,
    Really nice watch.
    I don't know Omegas specifically but this is a design from the 1920s.
    Could not tell you its value.
    The strap has nothing to do with the value of the watch, unless the strap came originally with the watch in which case you should keep it and not damage it.
    The strap might also have some value if it is an Omega branded strap.
    Otherwise you should use whatever strap you please, whether it's this one or another.
    Hard to say more without any pictures.
    Best regards,
    S

Edt- PS this doesn't look like a converted pocket watch at all to me.

4. sambo99lauren Jan 12, 2017

Thanks for your comment, its not a pocket watch, its a wristwatch, the straps are missing

5. sambo99lauren Jan 12, 2017

Thank you for your help, I dont have the strap so will take it to be replaced.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 12, 2017

most likely not a conversion, look at the stem to subdial orientation.

cwindham and chronos like this.
  7. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 12, 2017

Looks likely to be a Dennison cased English made 9K or gold fill 26.5SOB cushion case.

Is this the exact watch/ actual watch you have? I only ask as the image you have uploaded appears to be a screen grab and I note the omega forum address at the top? Wondered if this was the type of watch you have or the exact watch you have??

Edited Jan 12, 2017
    sambo99lauren, chronos and Syrte like this.
  8. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 12, 2017

This case design existed 13 lignes, 23.7 and 26.5SOB movements. I would need the size of the case and a picture of the movement and of the Inside of the caseback to be able to be more precise.

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. DON Jan 12, 2017

Based on the look of the case. I assume it has wire one piece lugs (no spring bars for the strap)

If so. Hirsch makes open end straps that the retail seller can attach for you. Not sure what lengths they carry, so if your a women. They might not have a short strap if you have thin wrists, but they will custom make for a price that you will have to discuss with the retailer (if they want to bother)

DON

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2017

Shilling for Hirsch now DON? Good thing you didn't include a link! ;) ::stirthepot::

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 13, 2017

Larry S, Vitezi and gemini4 like this.
  12. DON Jan 13, 2017

Funny Al,

It's only a shill if I profit from it or helping someone I know at a retailer out

Weren't you banned from Timezone because your customers talked about your service?

DON

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 13, 2017

It is most certainly not a converted pocket watch! Also looks like an enamel dial. Get it serviced, wire lug strap and enjoy. Send us more pics.

sambo99lauren and Matty01 like this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 14, 2017

Good catch! And good question!

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 14, 2017

Interesting that the OP disappeared after your question.

Syrte and Larry S like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 14, 2017

But we have no way of knowing that, right? :)

Sort of. I've relayed this before, but it started when TZ began a watch repair referral service - I'm sure they got a cut from the service provider every time they made a referral that gave the shop work, so now every watchmaker who bothered to post there was seen as competition in their eyes. A customer of mine did post something about work I had done for him, and he received a note from the site manager telling him he was shilling, and if he posted anything about me again, both he and I would be banned (I didn't get this message BTW so all of this was happening without my knowledge).

He emailed me quite upset, asking what was going on, and sent me a copy of the messages he'd received. I emailed the person in question, and asked her to please stop threatening my customers. She accused me of being behind it all, which was nonsense as I already had/have more work than I could ever complete - I have no reason to have people shill for me. The conversation went downhill from there, and she banned me. The poster was able to stay, so I took the hit instead of him - fine with me since I wasn't really participating there much anyway.

It all started with an overzealous person who saw every post relating to a possible competitor as a shill...

Cheers, Al

NT931 and shaun hk like this.
  17. DON Jan 14, 2017

Don't take this the wrong way, but your an ass

So your taking a cheap shot at me because I ask new members to respect the rules of another forum I belong to and rules many have broken many times over because they think they're above the rules

I had respect for you and mentioned your name to customers of mine, but you lost that because of an stupid post made for no reason than to come across as a big shot.

Cheers back at ya

DON

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 14, 2017

What the s41t? @DON you got lightly teased and went Nuclear. Relax bro.

Davidt likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 14, 2017

Well, there's only one way to take that I think. :)

Anyway, my comments were intended as an "inside joke" rather than a cheap shot mate. That's what the emoticons were for...::facepalm2::

shaun hk likes this.
  20. sambo99lauren Jan 16, 2017

Hi I was looking for my watch on the internet as this is the exact same one, which is also missing the strap, I can send more pics if you would like?